Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

How to Split a Monkey's Audio (.APE) file? [SOLVED]

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.7

How to Split a Monkey's Audio (.APE) file? [SOLVED]

Postby Driver » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:12 pm

I had ripped some CDs into .APE format in the past in Windows (IDK, I didn't know any better) and instead of being individual songs, they are one .APE and one .CUE file per CD. Was kind of annoying, but not any more than anything else in life I guess so I didn't worry about it. But I just found my MP3 player and would like to be able to put some individual songs on it after figuring out which songs I want (it's only a 512 MB player) and converting them to MP3 at the highest bit rate that I can use and still fit however many I want on it.

I can play the .APE files in linux, but I do not seem to be able to split them. Does anyone know what piece of software I need to do this? I would prefer not to have to boot into Windows to do it because it's been over six months since I did on this computer and it always seems to take an hour or more to download "updates" (when I can get the thing to actually do the downloading), then takes way to long to install them, reboot, pray, "finishing" install, reboot, pray some more... The whole time of course the hard drive sounds like it's constantly working and my CPU temperatures are elevated above what they are in linux when I'm actually doing something instead of just sitting waiting/hoping for the updates to finish so I can use the computer.

The .CUE files have time points for the individual songs in them, so I believe that if I can find the correct piece(s?) of software, I can do this semi-automatically instead of having to listen to each entire album with my finger on a "cut" button. I could be mistaken.

I did some searching via Google on this issue, and found a page that seemed to explain how to do it in Ubuntu. It had me install a few things (one was already installed I think) but then told me to install some kind of Mac (but its a PC, lol) which was listed as being for Ubuntu 6.something so I looked in Synaptic Package Manager to no avail. I found a "java implementation of mac library using JRE or somesuch" and installed that but apparently they don't do the same thing - or at least not in the same way - because after that nothing in the how-to worked. So I decided to do what I should have done to begin with and just ask the Ultimate Edition experts. I hate asking for something without trying to find the answer myself, but in this case I could have skipped the trying to help myself for all the good it accomplished. Is .APE a "dead" format as far as linux is concerned (most of the pages I could find were 4-5 years old!)?

I will not be ripping any more of my album collection into Monkey's Audio. I will use .FLAC from now on - or something else, if you folks have a better suggestion for a compatible lossless format? But I'd love to be able to split the ones that I am already stuck with.

Thanks very much in advance,
Driver
Driver "Driving you over the edge..."

Laptop: HP dv6226 - T2250 1.7gHz Pentium Dual-Core, 1gig, Intel (non-)graphics, Mint 14 Xfce 32-bit, MS Windows Vista Premium DOA
Desktop: Old AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.792gHz, 1.256gig, nVidia 5200fx 128meg, a new used hard drive awaiting an OS
Camera: Nikon Coolpix 3200 (MIA)
Printer/Scanner/Fax/Copier: Epson Artisan 810 (Awesome & works in linux!)
Phone: Defy XT Android no-contract $19/mo. unlimited talk/text/data (thanks, Republic Wireless!)
Scanner: Radio Shack PRO-2042 made by GRE (STOLEN - thief, I've got a bullet with your name on it)
Driver
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Other Linux

SOLVED: Re: How to Split a Monkey's Audio (.APE) file?

Postby Driver » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:16 am

I searched some more and found a solution. I am posting what I learned because it might help someone in the future and, well, that's what you do.

The solution I found adds a script to Nautilus called "Split Lossless" and it does exactly that. After installing it, just right-click on the single .APE, .FLAC, or wavpack file, move your mouse cursor to the Scripts choice, and left-click on Split Lossless in the Scripts menu. It will bring up a file box and you need to select the corresponding .CUE file. Then it opens a box where you need to select whether you wish the file split into individual lossless (.FLAC) files or split and converted into 320 kbit or 192 kbit .MP3 files. Select your preference and click on OK. That's all you have to do.

Be aware that it takes several minutes (on my 1.73 gHz Intel CPU laptop) and runs both CPU cores at around 80% until they almost immediately hit 174°F and the system throttles the CPU back to 800 mHz - at which point the CPU usage maxes out. And your palm and leg will get really hot unless you hold the laptop up in the air (it dropped to 167°F when the CPU throttled back and stayed there).

But it works and is simple to do once you have it installed.

I am not certain as to whether it is ok to link this page or not. I will do so but if I am doing something wrong would a moderator please edit it out of my post? And edit the title of this thread so it has a SOLVED in it? (THANKS!)

The article was written by Andrew and, as he states at the bottom of the page, Thanks to CokiDVD for the script!

Install the packages required by the script (do not worry if some are already installed, happened to me but Ultimate Edition is smart enough to take it in stride)
Do this in a terminal. Use the one you prefer or if you don't know how just press ALT-F2, type "gnome-terminal" (without the quotes) and select Terminal when it shows up on the list. Then copy and paste each line one at a time (you will be asked for your sudo password):
Code: Select all
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:adrian-m-benson/ppa #required for a newer shntool to fix a bug with wavpack
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:flacon/ppa #required for MAC package
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install shntool cuetools flac wavpack lame mp3info zenity mac

Download and install the script
To download and "install" the script, use the following commands (again, copy & paste one line at a time in the terminal):
Code: Select all
cd ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts
wget http://webupd8.googlecode.com/files/splitlossless.tar.gz
tar -xvf splitlossless.tar.gz && rm splitlossless.tar.gz
chmod +x "Split Lossless"

Now type "exit" (without the quotes) and press enter to close the terminal window. Your script is now installed and ready to go!

The page I got this information and the image below from (along with more of an explanation and a couple of links) is at http://www.webupd8.org/2011/01/split-si ... es-to.html

Laptop: HP dv6226 - T2250 1.7gHz Pentium Dual-Core, 1gig, Intel (non-)graphics, Mint 14 Xfce 32-bit, MS Windows Vista Premium DOA
Desktop: Old AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.792gHz, 1.256gig, nVidia 5200fx 128meg, a new used hard drive awaiting an OS
Phone: Defy XT Android no-contract $19/mo. unlimited talk/text/data (thanks, Republic Wireless!)
Scanner: Radio Shack PRO-2042 made by GRE (STOLEN - thief, I've got a bullet with your name on it)
Driver
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Re: How to Split a Monkey's Audio (.APE) file? [SOLVED]

Postby Meister » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:41 am

Agreed very nice write up.
Meister
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.7 32 BIT

Postby Driver » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:54 pm

Was mostly regurgitating what I read at the page I linked.

And the process (including the searching) was easier than the other one. Apparently there is some difference between .WMA and lossless WMA, lol. A couple of things would play the few audio files that I had ripped into that format after I got my first "PC" (Windows XP) but for some reason I couldn't get the Ultimate Player (kudos to Thee Mahn) that I'm trying out to do so. Nor could I get the converter apps to convert (transcode?) them. I believe at one point I saw a box that stated one of the codecs should work - but didn't (and he steps back to punt...).

I found a page directing me to attempt an unsuccessful process to install Windows MP and fail creatively (just to harvest the codec) and then to install dBpoweramp Music Converter under Wine to do it with the aforementioned codec. Seems like just doing the latter was sufficient (although I do have the original OEM install of Vista on this computer, still).

Lesson learned: If I wish to rip one any more of my albums into a lossless format, use a free one (such as .FLAC or...?) to begin with for maximum compatibility with minimum adventure across all OS.

-Driver

Driver
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby Danielove » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:48 am

It's easy to solve the issue.

If the ape file has a CUE associated with it, you can use a Splitter like Bigasoft Audio Converter.

If the ape file doesn't have, you have to turn to Google to find a solution.
Danielove
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby Julyreadygo » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:43 pm

Embedded Chapter Marker in MKV, MP4, MOV

In many file format, such as MKV, MP4, MOV, M4A, M4B, RM, etc., there are some embedded chapter markers. Each chapter has a begin and end position, and a title. In most popular video or audio player, such as Windows Media Player or QuickTime, you can see these chapters, and you can jump to each chapter directly by select that chapter.

Independent Chapter Marker, CUE File

Decades ago, CD is the best media to carry high quality lossless digital music. How ever, the size of CD is not fit for carry. With the boom of portable media player such as iPod, Zune, and powerful mobile phone, people always rip CD into MP3, WAV, FLAC, APE, etc.

Music CD usually contains about 10 songs, while MP3, FLAC, APE don't support embedded chapter markers. To specify the begin, end position and name of each song, people invented CUE file format. CUE file is a text file, its format is intuitive and easy to edit. If you cannot get the corresponding file of MP3, FLAC, APE, you can write one yourself.

CUE file looks like this:

PERFORMER "Rainer Kubmaul; Sonja Prunnbauer"
TITLE "Paganini - Sonatas for Violin and Guitar"
FILE "Paganini.-.Sonatas.for.Violin.and.Guitar.flac" WAVE
TRACK 01 AUDIO
TITLE "01. I. Allegro Spiritoso"
PERFORMER "Rainer Kubmaul, Sonja Prunnbauer"
INDEX 01 00:00:00
TRACK 02 AUDIO
TITLE "02. II. Adagio Assai Espressivo"
INDEX 01 07:21:00
TRACK 03 AUDIO
TITLE "03. III. Rondeau"
INDEX 01 10:37:00

Sometimes, you don't like all songs in one file, so you want to split this file by chapters, so that one file contains only one song. Then you can discard the songs you don't like.

To split files by independent chapter marker, you need a cue file which specify the begin, end position and name of each song. It must have the same file name with the corresponding music file, except the .cue extension, and be placed in the same folder side by side with the music file.

To split files by chapter, you need just 4 steps:

1. Add video or audio files to Faasoft Video Converter.
4. Select output format from Profile list.
3. Select "Split by Chapter" in "Edit" menu.
4. Click Start button to start the conversion.
Julyreadygo
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.7