Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

MythTV after Reboot

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.3

Re: MythTV after Reboot

Postby Cell » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:25 am

Other than this minor problem, MythTV is doing everything I want it to do.

Cool, fair enough. ;) Just to recap on my post....this is copied from the wiki.

I upgraded X, Y, and Z and now everything is broken. Help!

The one piece of advice I can most often give Myth users is to keep it simple. Distribution packages, automatic installers, and many other Linux packaging features have made it very easy to get a MythTV system installed by even the most novice MythTV user. This does not mean that you should arbitrarily run apt-get/yum upgrade on a whim and install every package update that is available to you.

MythTV is designed as a PVR appliance, first and foremost. Once it is working, it should be hands off, even for what seems the most innocent of upgrades. As tinkerers, most of us can't resist installing the lastest this, or the newest that. But more often than not, a mass upgrade of every component on your system leads to trouble.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it It may sound simple and foolish, but many people will tell you that once you have your MythTV system working, don't upgrade anything other than the MythTV application unless you absolutely have to. If you want to tinker with the latest of everything, build a slave backend and mess with it there.

One thing that stuck out in one of your above posts..."Watch live tv". With myth your never watching "live" tv.Everything is being recorded,and then played back.Thats why you can time shift in the tv mode.So....I was thinking.;)
Maybe theres a bit of interlacing going on after a bootup?Do you boot directly into myth,or the U.E desktop?Maybe start the frontend in a window,and then use system monitor to see what is using the most resources?
-------------------------------
hardware
--------------------------------
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Ultimate Edition 2.4 Gamer Ed.
Mythbuntu 9.10
windows XP MCE remastered with Nlite
Windows 7 remastered with Vlight
----------------------------------------------------------
We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically-deGrasse Tyson
Cell
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Re: MythTV after Reboot

Postby buschbarber » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:46 am

Sorry to use the term LiveTV. I meant Watch TV as opposed to Playback a Recording.

I have been a Windows user for many years so the idea of using an OS for one specific purpose is a bit foreign. I have Ultimate Edition running 24/7. I only reboot when necessary and boot up to the Ultimate Edition Desktop. I check my email using CheckGmail, run various apps such as Google Earth, XBMC, MythTV, Firefox, K9Copy, and experiment with various other applications. When I run into a problem, I get on the appropriate forum and try to get an answer.

To me, Recording my favorite Cable TV shows is so much more enjoyable when I can eliminate the commercials. It takes up less disk space on both the HDD and the DVD. I have an HD Cable box with a DVR that costs me $9 extra a month. The only advantage over MythTV is recording two channels at a time, when necessary. I don't output the HD Cablebox directly to the WinTV card as I want to be able to watch other channels while MythTV is recording something else.
Asus P5Q Mobo
4Gb Corsair Ram
Intel Core 2 Quad 9400 2.66Ghz
Nvidia Gforce 9800GTX+ PCIe 512Mb
Realtek ALC1200 8ch Audio Adapter
WinTV-HVR-1600 PCI
3 SATA Internal HDD - 250Gb, 250Gb, 500Gb
Ultimate Edition 2.8 64bit, Ubuntu 10.10 64bit and Windows 7 64bit
buschbarber
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT