Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Ultimate Edition 2.3 has been released...

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.3

Re: Ultimate Edition 2.3 Work in progress...

Postby down8ve » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:25 pm

MentalGiant wrote:The only thing I'm still having problems is the sound though, which is a common problem with any linux OS I install. It has a 5 speakers and it always wants to direct the sound through the bass speaker. Been reading quite a few forums trying to resolve this problem, but with no success.

Mental,

Try fixing your user groups, look down this page:
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=3385

Hope it gets you going.
down8ve
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby MentalGiant » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:05 pm

Thanks down8ve, that sure did help, I can actually hear sound from the other speakers now and doesn't sound like I'm listening to it from another room with my ear up against the wall. :lol:

And if there is a mirror needed for iso downloads, I have a website with 2,500GB monthly transfer, we only use couple hundred megs a month as it is, so there is plenty left to share. :D
Notebook Manufacture: MSI
Notebook Model: MS-1722 GX720
Motherboard: MSI MS-1722 Ver. 1.0 w/ North Bridge Intel PM45, South Bridge Intel 82801IM (ICH9-M) Socket P (478)
Screen: 17" WXGA ACV(Amazing Crystal Vision) Display 1920x1200
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 2.26Ghz, 3Mb L2, 1066Mhz FSB
Memory: Samsung 4GB DDR2 PC2-5300 DDR2-667Mhz
Video Card: PCI-E x16 Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT 512Mb
Hard Drive: Seagate 320Gb SATA II 16Mb Cache w/SMART, APM, 48bit LBA, NCQ
Network Adapters: Realtek RTL8168/8111 Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC and Wireless LAN Intel WiFi Link 5300 AGN
Operating systems: Dual Booting: Ultimate Edition 2.2 (Of Course) and Windows Gamer NVIDIA Edition 2009 x64 (For Gaming)
MentalGiant
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 32 BIT

Postby DarkChild » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:55 am

MentalGiant wrote:Thanks down8ve, that sure did help, I can actually hear sound from the other speakers now and doesn't sound like I'm listening to it from another room with my ear up against the wall. :lol:

And if there is a mirror needed for iso downloads, I have a website with 2,500GB monthly transfer, we only use couple hundred megs a month as it is, so there is plenty left to share. :D

Thanks for the offer MentalGiant. I think its a good idea to pm TheeMahn if your really interested in becoming a mirror for the upcoming release of Ultimate Edition 2.3!!
CPU Type: TripleCore AMD Athlon II X3 440, 2982 MHz (15 x 199)
Motherboard: ECS GF8200A (3 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN)
Motherboard Chipset: nVIDIA GeForce 8200, AMD K10
System Memory: 6GB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)
Video Adapter: XFX ATI Radeon HD 4350 1GB
Audio Adapter: ATI Radeon HDMI @ ATI RV710/730/740 - High Definition Audio Controller
Audio Adapter nVIDIA MCP78 - High Definition Audio Controller
1 WD Caviar Green 1TB HD SATA
2 Sata Local Disk: 250GB/200GB
2 IDE HD: 80GB
Hanns.G 22" Wide Screen Monitor
Speakers: Logitech LS21 7 watts RMS 2.1 Speaker System
ENCORE 802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter
Logitech Wireless Keyboard/Mouse
LG CD/DVD Writer 22X
BIOS Type: AMI (05/19/09)

DarkChild
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.7 32 BIT

Postby MentalGiant » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:39 pm

Ya, done that already, just waiting for a response. ;)
Motherboard: MSI MS-1722 Ver. 1.0 w/ North Bridge Intel PM45, South Bridge Intel 82801IM (ICH9-M) Socket P (478)
Network Adapters: Realtek RTL8168/8111 Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC and Wireless LAN Intel WiFi Link 5300 AGN
Operating systems: Dual Booting: Ultimate Edition 2.2 (Of Course) and Windows Gamer NVIDIA Edition 2009 x64 (For Gaming)
MentalGiant
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby TheeMahn » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

MentalGiant wrote:Hey guys/gals. New to the forum, but I had to come say what I thought about Ultimate Edition 2.2. I was impressed with they way you have it setup. Even in live mode before installing, it was fairly fast in responding to opening apps and such, compared to Ubuntu 9.04 with its live mode. I read some where it would take 20 - 25 minutes to install. Well, it only took about 13 minutes on mine, but I guess it really depends on your machine.

I have a MSI MS-1722 GX720 notebook with Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 2.26GHz L2 3MB Cache, 4GB DDR2 800Mhz memory, Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT 512MB, Intel Ultimate N WiFi Link 5300, ST9320421AS 320GB SATA 2 16MB 7200 RPM HD.

After the install, I was impressed with all the software installed, which clearly makes you understand the size of the iso. Everything works right from the beginning, but Ubuntu 9.04 pretty much did the same, on mine that is. The only thing I'm still having problems is the sound though, which is a common problem with any linux OS I install. It has a 5 speakers and it always wants to direct the sound through the bass speaker. Been reading quite a few forums trying to resolve this problem, but with no success.

Any ways, figured I would drop a line giving props for the hard work. I will definitely will be downloading 2.3 when it is available.

Maybe mental, but no giant.

Thanks,

Ultimate Edition 2.3 takes nothing less then 10 minutes to install on my machine from USB which is faster then a DVD. I have a pretty quick machine. I have been eyeballing 2 solid state drives, to speed my installation for testing. Them things are lightning fast I have seen them that will xfer 250+ MB a sec (out of my price range). Have you seen sata III it is coming, I may hold off. Piss on solid state if what they show is true ;)

On your sound issues, have you tried OSS or Alsa instead of Pulse audio? Just read above maybe I should read my 160 unread of 794 PM's ;) My email is 10 times worse. 3552 unread of 4062. I just do not have the time, could you resend the PM on mirroring please. I want to let you know I have seen as high as 3/4 TB in 1 day on the Ultimate Edition 2.2 release. So you will have to watch your bandwidth closely, if you want your site to remain up.
13tb.jpg
What you are seeing is 13+ Terabytes of xfer 1 server of 7 I own ;)

TheeMahn
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby MentalGiant » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:25 pm

You might want to read this about the SSD. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive#Disadvantages

I was considering the same thing for my notebook, since I use it in my truck with all the bouncing up and down and vibrations. But, I do a lot of file transfers, and I do mean a lot, and I didn't like what I read about the SSD after so many writes performed on it.

With that said, the SATA III will more than likely be in the form of SSD's only. Since they are going to be built for speed and lower power consumption. Don't get me wrong, SSD are great, but they are made for the consumers that do low to medium read/write situation. If you do high to very high, you might find yourself replacing sooner than expected. Not saying in a few months or even a year, but considering how long a regular hard drive would last you, its a very short life.

Even if your still considering to get a SSD, the other thing to consider when purchasing one, which one you should get. Me, myself and I would suggest the flash based one, because if your storing important files on it, it doesn't require continuous power to be feed to it. DRAM SSD's will need power feed to it at all times to keep files. Which is a important fact most consumers need to know.

If there is something I'm missing or thinking wrong here, let me know, I only know what I read and read a lot before deciding not to get one when I built this notebook and choose to go with the hard drive I have now.

Ok, done being long winded for now. :P Thought I put my 2 cents in about the SSD's since you brought it up.
MentalGiant
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Admin-Amir » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:59 am

Hello TheeMahn .
I have install the Themes package of 2.3 on the 2.2 system.
And I can say that it has improved the Firefox speed up working+
the way that the window is behave for the good way and faster.

I thank you for your hard work on that system!

Amir.
Admin-Amir

Postby TheeMahn » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:29 am

MentalGiant wrote:You might want to read this about the SSD. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive#Disadvantages

I was considering the same thing for my notebook, since I use it in my truck with all the bouncing up and down and vibrations. But, I do a lot of file transfers, and I do mean a lot, and I didn't like what I read about the SSD after so many writes performed on it.

With that said, the SATA III will more than likely be in the form of SSD's only. Since they are going to be built for speed and lower power consumption. Don't get me wrong, SSD are great, but they are made for the consumers that do low to medium read/write situation. If you do high to very high, you might find yourself replacing sooner than expected. Not saying in a few months or even a year, but considering how long a regular hard drive would last you, its a very short life.

Even if your still considering to get a SSD, the other thing to consider when purchasing one, which one you should get. Me, myself and I would suggest the flash based one, because if your storing important files on it, it doesn't require continuous power to be feed to it. DRAM SSD's will need power feed to it at all times to keep files. Which is a important fact most consumers need to know.

If there is something I'm missing or thinking wrong here, let me know, I only know what I read and read a lot before deciding not to get one when I built this notebook and choose to go with the hard drive I have now.

Ok, done being long winded for now. :P Thought I put my 2 cents in about the SSD's since you brought it up.

They make 2 types of SSD's MLC & SLC Multiple and Single Level Cell. SLC is very expensive:
Pros: This is single level cell memory, not the junk MLC cheaper drives. SLC is the only way to go for a boot drive. Your only other choice is the Intel X25 -E series. This drive is at least as fast as a 7200 rpm drive it's replacing, and faster in most ways. The diference is that is will never (in our lifetime) slow down. All MLC drives (even the X25m) will slow down when used for a boot drive.

I am waiting on Sata III, I just hate the thought of replacing basically my whole system. The motherboard I have would basically mean a whole new computer DDR2 1066 will be replaced with DDR3, CPU will have to be a Phenom II (AM3 socket), the video cards I have are junk. Once I taste the speed of sata III I will probably want to replace all my hard drives. Sounds like a big pile of money to me. Maybe I will win the lottery before then ;)
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Postby TheeMahn » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:37 am

amir wrote:Hello TheeMahn .
I have install the Themes package of 2.3 on the 2.2 system.
And I can say that it has improved the Firefox speed up working+
the way that the window is behave for the good way and faster.

I thank you for your hard work on that system!

Amir.

The theme package for Ultimate Edition 2.3 has a firefox extension included in the deb, for darker themes. Didn't expect it to speed it up however.

I am working on a deb that has a much nicer "skin", but that is all it is pretty much just a theme just for firefox. You are already using it and probably did not know it ;) Open your synaptic and search for ultimate you will see a package called "ultimate-edition-web-customizations" it does set your homepage as well.

Saves me alot of time when it comes to distro modifications. Eventually when I get it done I update the version upload it to the repo and everyone benefits ;)

Thanks,

TheeMahn
Attachments
extension.png
I tried to cover all bases

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Postby Admin-Amir » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:28 pm

Hi TheeMahn.
First thank you for your answer,sorry that I did not respond immediate.
I have run some test on my machine to have it done.
I have Sean that package in synaptic+Firefox.
I can say in 100% that the speed of U.E 2.2-Firefox now is 2 sec faster at load.
and I have 0.9 sec improve with the window load.
So it is not just a package,it run those 2 part's faster.
I just not relay like the red - if there was blue it was better for me anyway.

thank you.
Amir.
Admin-Amir

PreviousNext

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.3