Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Installing to external HDD

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.3

Re: Installing to external HDD

Postby Admin-Amir » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:10 am

Mazal Tov. Hope she will get allot some that one ;)

O.K Mazal.

Here is what I want to ask from you please.
can you change the IDE of the HDD for the backup to be slave?
you have jumper on the HDD?
if yes good just look on the way to switch to be slave to your HDD master.
if you can upload some screen shot of your board it will be more helpful for me and you.
one more Question for you,do you see the HDD (external HDD)?
is that HDD mount?

maybe if it is not mount use this commands:

Code: Select all
sudo chown USERNAME /media/disk

sudo chgrp USERNAME /media/disk

OR with:

gksudo nautilus

to mount the HDD.
the error from the way I see it is because the HDD not sign on grub there.

And Mazal see if all those packages install on your machine please.

screenshot002d.png
packages-1

screenshot003iyi.png
packages-2

screenshot004f.png
packages-3
Admin-Amir

Postby Mazal » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:59 am

Moebius wrote:Sorry Admin-Amir,
I was refering to this:

Mazal wrote:I want to install UE2.3 to an external HDD for disaster recovery. As a spare OS in case of system failure so that I can boot that external and copy important data of from the internal HDD before format.

This way, Mazal could boot from the external HDD just like a pendrive or Live DVD (but with persistance).

While I think about it...Mazal, why not just boot from a Live DVD and copy data from internal HDD to external if a disaster happens? - or have I totally misunderstood your question? :?
Didn't mean to confuse. ;)

Mazal Tov. <BREW>

Reason I don't want to use the live cd is because I want to use the same external's free space to copy the data to. It's not only for me , but for my users computers as well.
If I use a live cd I must carry the live cd and a storage device with me.
Also , with the external HDD I can add specific programs I might need and it will stay there as it is a full install and can save everything I add.

Finally I got it to work though. For some reason it has something to do with the internal IDE drives. When I disable either the dvd-rom or the internal HDD (IDE) then it starts up 100%. I don't know why. I would like to know why. But for now it works. I just disable the dvd-rom in the BIOS and then the external starts up 100%.
Mazal
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 32 BIT

Postby Admin-Amir » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:06 am

Mazal,

yes that was were I was pointing to.
happy for you,good luck (looks like you are in the right Direction) <BREW>
Admin-Amir

Postby Moebius » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:13 am

Mazal wrote:Reason I don't want to use the live cd is because I want to use the same external's free space to copy the data to. It's not only for me , but for my users computers as well.
If I use a live cd I must carry the live cd and a storage device with me.
Also , with the external HDD I can add specific programs I might need and it will stay there as it is a full install and can save everything I add.

Finally I got it to work though. For some reason it has something to do with the internal IDE drives. When I disable either the dvd-rom or the internal HDD (IDE) then it starts up 100%. I don't know why. I would like to know why. But for now it works. I just disable the dvd-rom in the BIOS and then the external starts up 100%.

Glad you're up and running. :D
Thanks for the explanation too! :D

Cheers.
GNOME 3.2.1
Oz Unity Developement (32) Kernel 15
Moebius Custom Gothic
Intel DG33FB Mainboard
Intel Core2Duo E8400
Amicroe 2 x 1Gb DDR2
WD 250Gb Sata II WD2500AAKS (O/S)
WD 500Gb Sata II WD5000AAKS (Data)
LG Super Multi DVDRW