Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Sound Problems with 2.1

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.1

Sound Problems with 2.1

Postby brute » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:17 pm

This is weird. It worked perfect for 2 days no issues. I keep getting the dreaded message:Audiotestsrc wave=sine freq=512 error. I tried everything I could think of and the only two ways I can get the Pulse audio or Alsa audio to work was to change either to OSS sound or back to Ubuntu default sounds.

Do you think there may be something effecting sounds in 2.1 because it seems like when I had 2.0 it was fine until I added the 2.1 theme pack and then I had the same issue. Also, when I switch back to Ultimate 2.1 sounds then it works fine, but for how long is anyones guess.

Just thought I would pass this along in case anyone else has this issue. :?:
brute
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Re: Sound Problems with 2.1

Postby brute » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:08 pm

Thanks for the advice. I have never had this issue before and as soon as I change the sound scheme from Ubuntu to Ultimate 2.1 It messes it up, so for right now I will leave ubuntu sound effects on or use OSS sound.
brute
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby pch.shot » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:12 am

Pulse audio may be the culprit here. It seems to interfere with alsa sometimes. I have had to get rid of it on other releases(can't remember which ones). Unfortunately we are stuck with it because that is what Ubuntu includes and it is a pain in the ass to get rid of it.
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby brute » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:57 pm

I really had wished they had just stayed with alsa, never had any issues with 8.04 at all. Use Skype as an example, in 8.04 skype worked never had to touch the sound controls. 8.10 and I have to change the settings right off the bat. Weird............Wonder if anyone else has had this issue? I guess Pulse is the future.
brute
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby pch.shot » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:24 pm

'I guess Pulse is the future'
If pulse is the future we are all in deep do do!!!
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby brute » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:19 pm

I did a little test. I un-installed 2.1 and replaced it with regular ubuntu 8.10 and it works flawlessly with no sound issues. So, I thought well, let me try the 2.1 themes so I installed just the theme pack, rebooted every thing to make sure it was re-freshed. The log in screen I am greeted with all systems activated, however, when I try any thing else, the sound is dead. And it remains locked up with the audiotesrsrc wave = sine freq = 512
message. I Then switch to OSS to get anything to work, but lose the intro music to 2.1. Ubuntu sounds work....go figure. Well if anyone knows what to do let me know, because I am at wits end. 2.0 woks perfect...it is just 2.1 So Then I un-installed the 2.1 theme pack :x and it works again.....scratch head....twirl pen....Help!

Update: Tried Jaunty alpha 5 sound works as it should, a little scratchy on boot music, but I figure that kink will be worked out. Hope this helps as to where the issue might be.
brute
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby witblits1970 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:51 am

strider5236 wrote:
pch.shot wrote:'I guess Pulse is the future'
If pulse is the future we are all in deep do do!!!

I think that would be the final straw for Ubuntu. I think people would just switch to something else.

i have to agree. i had the same issue but somehow without doing anything the sound just came on and is still working :? i followed the links on previous post( cant recall now) to modify alsa but even this failed. my feelings are U U is by far the best so it needs to remain the best!! with little issues like sound it can be the reason why people will not use Linux in general as i have spoken to loads about UU, but it is the sound thing that puts people off. please fix it
mobo asus m5a99 x
ram 16 gig ddr3 @1333mhz kingston
hdd 2tb seagate
cpu 3.9 gig fx 6 core piledriver
witblits1970
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby pch.shot » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:25 am

It's not that easy to fix. Ubuntu embeds pulse audio into the operating system. Until they decide to change we are stuck with it. Most people's sound issue is just lack of proper research and technique. I had an old PIII that I couldn't get the sound to work on. I searched the Internet high and low till I found the answer(modprobe). I went right to Dell's website and got the sound chip # typed sudo modprobe snd-cs4236 and bingo, sound. Then I added snd-cs4236 to /etc/modules and it was there at boot time. That is the only computer I have had a sound issue with ever. Then again, I buy mainstream parts like Kingston, Asus, MSI, Intel, LG and stay away from crap never heard of brands like PC Chips and the likes. When you purchase a computer make sure the motherboard has well know chipsets(audio/video etc). You will avoid big problems and that's also using Windows as well as Linux.
p.s. When you go to buy a computer take a Linux live disc with you and make sure everything works out of the box and don't buy anything that does not have full Linux support.
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby stanca » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:00 am

I think my luck with this ancient system of mine was that when I bought it 2,5 years ago it was having linux preinstalled.But then I was being a complete ignorant in any computers and of course a "good" neighbour of mine installed to me the wellknown "allmighty windows xp pro sp2",wich survived in my system untill june last year when it finally crashed itself.But then I was already dual-booting with Ultimate Edition 1.8 64bit. ;) <BREW>
Intel H61 ASrock H61M-VS Motherboard,
Cpu Intel Ci3 13-2100 3.10Ghz 64bit 3MB Box,
RAM 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Elixir,
Palit Nvidia Geforce 210 1GB DDR3 PCI-E.
Dual-boot Ultimate Edition 3.4 x86_64/Windows 8 x64.
Linux user # 492560.
"This is Linux land!In silent nights you can hear Windows machines rebooting!..."
http://www.youtube.com/user/laur1969 http://stanca-ultimateeditionromania.blogspot.com/#

stanca
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Postby dathem » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:44 pm

Hello,

I have had repeated issues with sound, music programs with each release, usually I just had to install additional
gstreamer files. This release the first hours of use the Music programs all worked fine, after a restart they all failed to play any music, got a message from the Amork program that Xine was busy after it tried to play each song in the play list, the other programs would just turn dark and do nothing else, after several minutes I had to force quit the program. So, I searched and downloaded/installed every gstreamer file that wasn't already installed. Magically all the music programs played songs perfectly. The next day I turned on the computer and the first thing I did was try to play songs, no program would play any songs. I restarted the computer and bingo all the programs would play my songs. Then it hit me like a brick, each time the computer started up, I should get the 3 sounds, sometimes all 3 played as I logged in sometimes not, BUT if I didn't hear the startup song play as the desktop loads, then I wouldn't be able to get the music programs to play songs. So, as a workaround I enabled auto logging in, so I don't have to type in my log in name or password, then every time the startup song will play and the music programs will work and play my songs. It was very frustrating that one time I could play music then next restart I couldn't. But happy that I found some way to ensure that I can play music each time I turn on the computer.
1)HPE-500F a 6 core @ 2.70 Ghz, with 8 gigs of Ram and a 1.5 T HD
the graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 6450 with 512 MB DDR3 Ultimate Edition 3.2, Windows 7
2) HP Pav Elite m9040n Core2 quad 4gig ram Nvidia Geforce 8400, 640 g hd Win.7, UBUNTU 10.10
3) Gateway FX4710-UB0031 Core 2 quad 6 g ram Nvidia 8600gt-1gigddr3, 640g hd & Windows 7, & PCT Destined
Registered Linux User 533601
dathem
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.7 32 BIT

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.1