Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Can we live on just a smartphone?

Love it, hate it drop posts here
Forum rules
Comments or opinions expressed on this forum are those of their respective contributors only. The views expressed on this forum do not necessarily represent the views of Ultimate Edition, its management or employees. Ultimate Edition is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to the forum.

Can we live on just a smartphone?

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:45 pm

I want some honest opinions on this. I am embarking on a experiment to see if I can get by with just my Asus A500KL ZenFone 5. I want to get better at typing on these smartphones. So far am not doing terrible but need improvement. My fingers are big. Maybe a stylus pen would be better for me?

I see people looking at the screens of their smartphones all day. Are they without PC's? I wonder this and now ponder the thought they only own smartphones? If you see the cost of unlocked smartphones, you will get my point. Anyway would love to know what your thoughts are on this subject and some advice that will help. For now can say this current device is quite proficient and can honestly say runs just as good as my PC. Take care, best wishes to all and whatever device you may be using. Hope you can spare some time for some feedback on all this.
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Re: Can we live on just a smartphone?

Postby pam » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:32 am

This is quite a controversial topic and you are throwing a matchstick in a bucket full of fuel....

To begin with I'd say the new zenfone 5 along with a few others are starting a trend where the intent is to remove the laptop from doing useful tasks....eg the use of a wordprocessor/spreadsheets/bill payments etc...

Microprocessor leaders are clearly threatened by what is going in the ARM ecosystem...
The Oneplus One and Saygus are new companies that are giving decades old companies a run for the money.

Very few people understand the computing ecosystem and seeing large corporations not take this seriously is quite
interesting.

Asus, Lenovo, OnePlus, LG, Dell, Intel, Nvidia are the few companies that are taking mobile computing very 'seriously'.
The Asus zenfone 2 with 4GB ram is nearly a graphics workstation using gimp/inkscape on android.

Nvidia is the only company that is able to deliver on some fronts....INTEL and AMD are far behind.
Qualcomm and Mediatek have now become leaders and DDR4 will make things worse for the others.

Your Zenfone 5 is very decent for what you pay...but the newly released lenovo A7000 is kinda better for the same price.
These phones easily topple the samsung galaxy S4 and all the mid range phones that cost double of what you pay for
zenfone5.

The only thing holding back the new phones are high speed sd cards and a dedicated display port.
With a dedicated display port the phone literally turns into a gaming powerhouse/workstation and with more ram a
productivity workstation...

Fret not, this will come after a year...Qualcomm/Mediatek and other ARM licensees can only pretend so much that mainstream
computing devices are relevant... until the bubble bursts and you see NUC boxes with 8GB ram /ARM octacores running linux/windows.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple fully transitions to using ARM chips for their macbooks and macpros, neither would it be surprising to see future
game consoles using Only ARM CPU parts....Nvidia has already delivered this with the new shield.

AMD is fighting a losing battle, they are way behind. Intel has delivered with tablets and the new zenfone 2 with dual channel ddr3 4GB ram.

To answer your question, yes the zenfone 5 is built with the intent to initiate that before the race begins....has already begun with the OnePlus One
and the yet to be released OnePlus Two.
DONOTSPAMORTROLL:
http://forumubuntusoftware.info/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11
Download Ultimate Edition and Oz Unity 3.0 from copy:-
https://www.copy.com/s/oBnDBsDOvxF8jW1EuLKM/Public
Download Ultimate Edition from sourceforge:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ultimat ... rce=navbar
Download Oz Unity 3.0 from sourceforge:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ueoz/files/UEOz/
Download Ultimate Edition torrents from linuxtracker:-
http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... 0&active=1
Download Oz Unity 3.0 torrents from linuxtracker:-
http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... 0&active=1
Image Image
Visit:http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com
pam
Site Admin

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:01 pm

Never meant to get anyone upset at all. All I ever mean to do is see how others do things. Face it, we all learn from each other and get the greatest innovations off it. Am on the PC right now, just loading the new micro sd for the "Zen". Zen is supposed to be like a feeling of elation or happiness, right? Am going to admit, am feeling that way with this smartphone. Have noticed no cursing coming from my lips, so would say was a great move. I have the flip cover, so there goes out the window all the swiping. LG seems to have a huge fetish for the camera. 90% of the time, I would swipe there it goes. Had a little collection of pics of the back of my hand. Just a little better integration with this Zen and things just seem to work out and is a great aid to me. Simplicity in life is what most of us crave, right?

Iphone and Samsung really are dominant out here, followed by LG. Those of us with Zen's are far and few between. Of course Asus has not come even close to flooding the market with these smartphones. So, therefore no store out here carries them. If you want one have to purchase online. I did and got the lowest price of $163, which shipped it here and included that flip cover that has ended so much aggravation for me. Lenova, looked at them, but then had the paranoia might be like the laptops in college I used, so opted for the Zen. So would also say "brand loyalty" took over. Still no disappointment here at all. Had issues with touch on the Lenova Laptops in college, unlike my current Asus Laptop which I also consider a great tool.

So now I consider the fact, since Zen is so capable, time can be saved during these warm months when so many outside tasks exist. I am betting many people here where I live have gone this same route to gain time on tasks and family, right? Will also bet the more experienced that have owned these smartphones since their birth, have great advice they can share with all of us, to help us gain more advantages over time and tasks. I am not going to bash any of the companies in favor of my smartphone. Just as I like all the qualities this Zen has, I understand those qualities could be detrimental to someone else. I also see LG owners out here with more modern units than I own and wrote about, that seem to have great success with it. So, give it all to personal preference. Of course since I did choose something off the wall, like Zen it left many limitations on what phone service I could choose. Ahh the drawbacks of living out in the middle of nowhere, right?

Will say, getting on with this new provider called "Ting" was very simple. Put the micro sim in and let Zen do the rest by just clicking on automatic. Quicker than Tracfone ever set up any of my earlier smartphones and regular flips. With these unlocked devices, is it always this much easier to get setup with a provider? This is all new to me. Remember, before this the most sophisticated unit I had was the "Optimus Fuel" which sported the dual core. Ran decent minus never being able to answer the phone when it rang. Also was locked to one network which required $50/month for its services. Another one of Tracfone's spawns called Straight Talk. Got tired of all the spawns and went to this new one. Incidently, is birthed from "Tucows" which back in the early 2000's was decent for free software. Should also mention many times pulling that LG out of my back pocket meant that Google Play would be open along with another browser and most things requiring internet connections. Would love to know how many people have gone through this same ordeal of loads of programs open, having to shut things down and forgetting the task at hand?

Next we have wifi and even in small little places one would just eat lunch at, right? Now if we are not huge data users and only require checking emails, occasional updates, we can pretty much just wait til we are eating or shopping and update our devices at those wifi points, right? Admit it, will be many users are doing this. Android as with Linux, requires updates. 5 to ten programs update and there goes a hundred megs, right? Currently, this is exactly what I have been doing. I do not want to watch movies and play games, just want to keep the device running right and know if anything is new for my job. Then we have people worse off than myself. The smartphone is all they can afford. So, for those less fortunate as I have met quite a few would love to have more ins and outs, so their lives become easier also. Going to libraries and public places when they are forced to do PC tasks is not fun for them. There are people that have used Smartphones since their invention and have more know-how than many of us. Will love to hear some input. As time goes on I am going to do my best to do most things on my Zen. Hopefully, will then be able to add more to help people out. Love the advances all these companies are making and thank them all for their concerns to make our lives better.
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:34 pm

Figured would state a few things since I started this. Once I bought a stylus for $4 was fairly simple to plop that thing against the onscreen keyboard and type emails out. In fact today I did that while at work, typed probably about 2 paragraphs and then sent it out. Still, with the job I have, unfortunately since Jet Mobile will not display any working days except for the present day, I have to start this PC up and check the calendar on there for working hours. So, therefore I can not live without the PC.

Still, this Asus phone has saved many moments of time for me. Is very simple to type a quick email and send, check bank statement and emails. Is Summer and sure most of you remember I have a few acres to take care of which includes my garden. So, to spend 5 minutes on this Asus phone versus turning the PC on and spending 10 to 15 minutes is a major savings in time, it all adds up, believe me.

I then stated about using provider Ting.com. They also have a google-play downloadable installable program to monitor your minutes, texts and data used. I received my first bill last week for the amount of $11.66. Remember, this bill is for under 100 minutes of calling time, under 100mb's of data and no texting. Since I do my best to state the least expensive for those that may be in the same shoes as myself, I am mentioning all this. I used approximately 50mins calling time, 13mb's of data. I do not text since I firmly believe emails work a great percentage of the time.

Most places that I work at have "wifi" so I just use theirs, instead of data from ting. Basically, I save those data mb's for instances I am not around wifi and only check email with it. Today, I was surprised with an update to browser from maybe a day or two ago, that somehow makes the browser automatically connect to the login page of the wifi provider. Least this happened this morning at work, which also saved a few minutes. I honestly love this Asus smartphone, but also know there are people out there that prefer some other brands. All I want to do is make the statement "Asus works for me"

Just as one would prefer Snapon to Craftsman or vica versa, same goes for me on Asus things. I just hope whatever smartphone you may be using, you enjoy the potentials of time-saving and entertainment as I do. I absolutely love hearing my music in the car and the added benefit is a phone and a connection to the internet. Take care and just hope information may help someone out there looking to save themselves a few bucks. Most providers start at $30, so to chop it down under half is very helpful to those that have to live on lower budgets as myself. Best wishes to all. Will be around here and there.
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Return to Rants and Raves