Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

[Solved] Safe graphics mode?

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.0

[Solved] Safe graphics mode?

Postby jfg69 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:44 pm

Is there a way to boot into safe graphics mode on my installed 2.0? (not the Live CD) I been looking all over and cant seem to find my answer, or at least one that works.. I need to fix my NV drivers and cant see the damn screen to see what I'm doin! :shock: :shock:

j....

jfg69
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.8 32 BIT

Re: Safe graphics mode?

Postby jfg69 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:31 pm

strider5236 wrote:When you are at the login screen (graphical one), press ALT+F2 (I think) and this will take you to a plain jane command line. ;)

Edit:ctrl + alt + f# (1-7)

I got to that screen earlier, I can login.. but as I work, the screen doesnt scroll.. so I can only go so far. I'm also not able to get logged into the router to DL the needed packages..

Wow, how n00b does that sound?.. :oops: lol..

jfg69
Site Admin

Postby jfg69 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:49 pm

strider5236 wrote:Have you tried running safe mode and then doing the graphics repair mode? This has always fixed my problems with a bad driver install. It basically repairs the x server so you will run the vesa driver.

Thats what I'm trying to do.. I got to repairing xserver, but then it needs to DL files, which it cant do since I'm not logged into the router.. but I cant seem to get running on the vesa in order to login and get my files DL'd. So much for recovery consoles.. I'm thinking Grub needs to have an option to start with VESA, how do we got it there?

jfg69
Site Admin

Postby cowboy » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:26 pm

Reinstall... ;)
P.S.....do not have any USB connected unless it is your mouse....or a keyboard...if you have a Keyboard with a USB connection...another words a bus...that too may be a problem
"Back up your Data"
"May I never lose the view of a nubie"
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish , he will eat a lifetime"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Evga Superclock CPU Cooler
Mushkin SSD coming soon
http://acowboydave.blogspot.com/
cowboy
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby jfg69 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:38 pm

cowboy wrote:Reinstall... ;)

Now Cowboy, shouldnt you be off creatin some splashy graphics or somethin?.. LOL.. You just hadda throw that in there didnt ya? re-install.. HA!....

...yup, I just might do that :mrgreen: , but I dont wanna let this bitch beat me.. so after I beat IT, I'll re-install.. just for the f&*^% of it..

jfg69
Site Admin

Postby jfg69 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:58 am

strider5236 wrote:
Info supplied by Remi Villatel
[email protected]
As root, try this :

# hwinfo --framebuffer | grep 1280
Mode 0x0307: 1280x1024 (+1280), 8 bits
Mode 0x0319: 1280x1024 (+2560), 15 bits
Mode 0x031a: 1280x1024 (+2560), 16 bits
Mode 0x031b: 1280x1024 (+3840), 24 bits
Mode 0x0324: 1280x1024 (+5120), 32 bits

Then edit "/boot/grub/menu.lst", find a line that looks like:

kernel (hd0,5)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda7 vga=0x317 splash=silent showopts

(This is for my SuSE 8.2, in 1024x768x16 bits.)

Then change the value of "vga=Ox..." to one of the "Mode" hereabove.

After saving your changed /boot/grub/menu.lst file, you might want to
run the command "mkinitrd" to adjust the boot splash screen to the new
resolution.

Re-boot and admire.

See ya,

Well, I dont know if I got all that right, but it didnt do anything on this end, I'm still running on LiveCD. Is there a way of specifying that grub boot using a vesa driver? Like maybe adding a line somewhere with the option to run using safe graphics, like on the live cd?

jfg69
Site Admin

Postby jfg69 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:13 pm

Gonna try this first, seems to simple, LOL.. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootO ... stallation
scroll down to the "adding to an already installed..."

I'll see how it goes...

jfg69
Site Admin

Postby jfg69 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:08 pm

strider5236 wrote:Well I hope you get it cause I know how annoying it is to have video issues upon boot. Very annoying. :shock:

Sooo close I can taste it.. I manage to get myself into a screen which gives me a list of resolutions, most of which do not seem to work.. does anyone know what the resolution is that the Live version uses as a default? I actually had one that "almost" worked.. saw my screen (in doubles) but no mouse pointer, and alt+F2 was opening almost completely off screen and I couldnt drag it back on..

jfg69
Site Admin

Re: [Solved] Safe graphics mode?

Postby jfg69 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:10 pm

I finally got it.. decided to try the highest resolution the monitor would support. Although it didnt give me a clearly viewable screen, it was good enough that I could see just enough to load drivers.

At the grub screen, I hit E on the first line, that brought me to another line while halting boot.. Hit E again to edit that line.. I added vga=770 at the end of the line. It brought me to a screen which allowed me to choose from several resolutions, from which I tried almost all... with varying degrees of viewability. Last try was 1600x1200 16bit. Gave me enough of a ghost to see the menu and download the drivers. Re-booted and all is well in Ultimate-land again..

Now its off to the local joint to watch the Superbowl and drink many <BREW> <BREW> <BREW> in celebration!

Cant wait for the next kernel upgrade to see what THAT screws up...

jfg69
Site Admin

Re: [Solved] Safe graphics mode?

Postby jfg69 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:53 am

strider5236 wrote:Well I am glad to see ya got it. This will come in handy if any one else has this issue. I know that it will come in handy for me in the future as I have had this problem before, but did not know how to solve it. <BREW>

I think it would be good to see if we can add this to recovery mode somehow. I'll have to look into it further..

jfg69
Site Admin

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.0