Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Installing to an external USB 3.0 harddrive

A place to make suggestions...

Installing to an external USB 3.0 harddrive

Postby Rustum » Wed May 04, 2016 9:13 pm

OK, I may look like an idiot. But I have spent days trying to install the latest Ubunto version to an external hard drive. Don't ask me why. I had Ultimate Edition 3.5 on my old laptop. It developed problems so I now have a new laptop. I am not happy with Ubunto, it will not install on an external hard drive and I have tried. Can this be done with one of the later versions of Ultimate Edition. If this question is out of order, let me know. Any help will be accepted. I am a bit tired of trying as I have been trying for two days so far and I have many other things to do as well.
Rustum
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Re: Installing to an external USB 3.0 harddrive

Postby Xanayoshi » Thu May 05, 2016 2:04 pm

Using gparted or something else
Create a Swap, with 8 Gb or so, less if you want, but I like to move mine around
Create an Ext4 Root(/), for Ultimate you need around 20, 25gb, much much less with say..Ubuntu or Debian
Create an Ext4 Home(/home), put the rest on it

At installer point to your already made partitions, install grub to the external drive

Boot at Bios or if running Linux, update grub and it will show up on reboot

I have no idea why it has to be this way, this also works on SD/USB etc..

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby Rustum » Thu May 05, 2016 2:18 pm

Thanks I will try it and if it works I will acknowledge so and if not I will let you know. I also found another solution online that I haven't tried with is removing your internal harddrive make sure the live CD is installed in your DVD drive and you connect the external USB disk only. When you install Linux it will find only the one harddrive and will install it there. I will try it your way first and try the second way if that doesn't work.
Rustum
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Rustum » Thu May 05, 2016 9:20 pm

Basically following your suggestions, I was able to to get Ubuntu installed onto my external Hard drive. There is a problem though, it will not close down or it takes a very long time. It boots up. Another issue is it will not connect to a wireless system. I will look into this a bit.
Rustum
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Rustum » Fri May 06, 2016 6:56 am

I installed Ubuntu 16.04-64 bit. I found that if I edited the wireless and saved the password it would connect. Once this happened it downloaded the update and I installed it. Once this was done and I shut down, it shut down quickly. So that worked. Thanks for your help. Now I will try installing ultimate edition along side it. That can wait a few days. I had never installed a plain version of Ubuntu before, so I wanted to see how it looked and felt. :)
Rustum
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Return to Suggestions