Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Help? System locks up in all OS's and Live DVD 1.9

Discuss Hardware related issues here...

Help? System locks up in all OS's and Live DVD 1.9

Postby mikeescott » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:14 am

I have been having problem with my computer locking up lately and it has gotten worse. Now it freezes in XP, XP64 bit, UE1.8-64bit, and UE1.7-32bit. I was glad to see 1.9 come along as I was planing on a clean install to hopefully fix this problem. I was running the Live DVD of 1.9 tonight and it locked up again while I was going through the 1st few windows before the install started. I got to user/pass/comp name and that was it. The past few days it has been locking up before the Windows logo loads when I try to get into windows. Since it is happening in all OS's, I am starting to think it may be a hardware problem. I have never delt with a hardware problem before and do not know where to start on finding the problem. Would anyone here be able to point me in the rite direction? Please help. Thanks, Mike
Pentium 955EE~ASUS P5WD2-E Premium~ATI X1800XL~Soundblaster X-Fi~4GB Patriat Extreme DDR2 PC2-6400~Plextor 755SA~WD Raptor 74GB SATA(64 bit UUE1.8)~WD Caviar 320GB SATA2(UUE1.7)~WD 30GB PATA(XP)~Maxtor 40GB PATA(64 bit XP)~630W PS
mikeescott
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Re: Help? System locks up in all OS's and Live DVD 1.9

Postby cowboy » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:25 am

OK this one could be tough..it does sound like you have a hardware prob....
First disconnect all USB devices that are not essential..that is one start...check all connections..Ram..Video..make sure there tight...
Also list your system specs...we can start from there
Could be virus related..are you running a dual boot..may have to totally clean your drive,,
You can do a memory test with a live DVD ..if you can
Anyone else out there feel free to help... ;)
"Back up your Data"
"May I never lose the view of a nubie"
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish , he will eat a lifetime"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Evga Superclock CPU Cooler
Mushkin SSD coming soon
http://acowboydave.blogspot.com/
cowboy
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby mikeescott » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:48 am

There are no USB devices connected at the moment. I have had problems installing with most of them plugged in before. What system specs do you need that are not in my sig? Is there a command I can run and post the output? Right now I have 5 internad HDDs (3 SATA and 2 PATA). The 1 PATA has XP and the other has XP-64bit. My 75gig Raptor had UE1.8 64bit, but it was formatted for 1.9. My 320 gig WD has Ultimate Edition 1.7 and the 320 Seagate is a media storage drive. I tried running the Live DVD of 1.9 again and received this error while installing.
Attachments
error.JPG
Pentium 955EE~ASUS P5WD2-E Premium~ATI X1800XL~Soundblaster X-Fi~4GB Patriat Extreme DDR2 PC2-6400~Plextor 755SA~WD Raptor 74GB SATA(64 bit UUE1.8)~WD Caviar 320GB SATA2(UUE1.7)~WD 30GB PATA(XP)~Maxtor 40GB PATA(64 bit XP)~630W PS
mikeescott
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby Baphomet » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:36 am

Almost HAS to be a hardware issue, since it's OS-agnostic and getting worse over time...

So when you say it "locks up"... What happens exactly?

Does everything freeze with your active windows open and visible? What about the mouse/cursor, does it stop responding? Do you get any error messages? Is the keyboard responsive (e.g. can you Ctrl+Alt+Del)?
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...

If it's not broken, you haven't tweaked it enough.

Beginners Guide: Linux 101
Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.2 64 BIT

Postby mikeescott » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:09 am

Sometimes desktop freezes and mouse is responsive for a few seconds, most of the time all locks up. Keyboard is never responsive when it freezes, cap locks will not even turn on and off. I have tried physically unplugging all drives and running 1 at a time and the problem is present in all 4 OS drives. Most of my computer is about 2.5 years old. The Windows drives are a little older and the SATA DVD drive and half the RAM is a little newer.
mikeescott
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby bpollen » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:23 am

mikeescott wrote:I have tried physically unplugging all drives and running 1 at a time and the problem is present in all 4 OS drives.

That would have been the direction I would first have looked. The system starts looking for a drive, can't find it, decides to go out to lunch, has MORE than three martinis, and is totally useless until rebooted.
44.934157796653814, -93.22175949811935
bpollen

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby TheeMahn » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:42 am

mikeescott wrote:Sometimes desktop freezes and mouse is responsive for a few seconds, most of the time all locks up. Keyboard is never responsive when it freezes, cap locks will not even turn on and off. I have tried physically unplugging all drives and running 1 at a time and the problem is present in all 4 OS drives. Most of my computer is about 2.5 years old. The Windows drives are a little older and the SATA DVD drive and half the RAM is a little newer.

It is w/o a doubt hardware related...

I would boot from the Ultimate Edition 1.9 DVD and select memtest (run it straight from the dvd, not qemu as I am demonstrating):
memtest.png
selecting memtest

running memtest.png
running memtest

Let it fully complete, if any errors are reported or it locks up while running most likely your memory is bad...

another thing to look at is let it boot into Ultimate Edition 1.9 from the dvd open a terminal and type the following:
Code: Select all
dmesg

Look through the large output and see if you can see any errors ie i/o error /dev/sda1, dev/hda1 etc. This will help narrow down weather it is a hard disk or bad dvd drive.

I hope I have been of some assistance,

TheeMahn
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby mikeescott » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:13 am

I will try the memtest when I get home today. Another thing I have noticed is a drive disappearing while I am trying to write to it.

Hey Thee, How well does your system in your sig work? Easy for everything to get working in Linux? Everything om the MB work out of the box? How many SATA and USB plugs? I have 8 internal SATA plugs and 2 IDE, but half of them have never worked correctly, ASUS issue. I would like so salvage this system if I can as I have about $3K in it, but Yours looks a lot cheaper to build now. I have never used RAID before, but I am thinking of getting a mirror RAID for my media storage. There is only about 25gigs left on that drive and I had planned on getting a larger one anyway.
mikeescott
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby deate » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:15 am

Not that this might have anything to do with your situation, but I was just dealing with the same symptoms on my sons "Vista" laptop, and it was cleared up by adding more RAM...so my best guess as to your problem is memory...
deate
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite

Postby Baphomet » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:32 am

My thought's are that this is RAM related. I'd try booting to one memory module and see if the problem goes away. If it does, shut down, add another module and reboot. See if you're still in the clear. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Of course if the problem continues with just one RAM module then we need to look elsewhere.

Parting thought's: Why in the hell are you running four OS's on four different drives? You're begging for trouble and promising blowjobs for it; so I'm not surprised some has found you. More to the point, why two versions of Windows and two versions of Ultimate? Somebody needs to make up their mind about some s--t here.

My suggestion: if you're still on the fence about 'buntu, dual boot on the 320GB with Ultimate 1.8 or 1.9 and either XP (my suggestion) or Vista. Use one (maaaaybe two) of the remaining 74GB drives for backups, data, media, whatever.

Seriously though, what is up with those punkass 30 and 40 GB drives? Are you a packrat or something that just can't bear to let go of them? Time to get harsh with yourself and dump 'em. Those are nothing but heat-producing wattage wasters.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...

If it's not broken, you haven't tweaked it enough.

Beginners Guide: Linux 101
Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.2 64 BIT

Next

Return to Hardware