Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

new laptop??

Discuss Hardware related issues here...

Re: new laptop??

Postby SaddleTramp » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:06 pm

rickzoll wrote:Hi SaddleTramp,
Well. I'm 10 days later and no help yet. I've actually posted in the Hardware section and the post never made it into the forum. I just think someone is on a long vacation or tied-up with their real job - I understand as I've had to travel some as well. I'm just high on where Ultimate Edition is going and I'd like to use it more but I rely on a wireless connection most of the time. I downloaded updates a couple of days ago and it included a Kernel update so I ran through the same wireless settings again and now I'm a bit closer as I get access points but after selecting one and setting security parameters, it never connects. I'll try again later tonight but I have to boot to Vista to get my wireless connection. I guess I might need to stop the updates when I get to a stable point with my wireless connection since I was working fine when I first installed Ultimate Edition 1.8.
Thanks for any suggestions you could make. rickzoll

Welcome back rick...is/are the older kernal/kernals still avail (listed) in your grub menu when you boot up ??
3 Rules: 1. Research; 2. Read; 3. Repeat 1 & 2
HP Pavilion a1700n; Asus A8M2N-LA; AMD Athlon X2 3800+ 2GHz; 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 Mem; nForce 430 Chipset
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Samsung 250GB SATA, WD 320GB SATA, WD 500GB 'GREEN' SATA
TSST DVDRW 16X DL; ASUS DRW-2014S1 DVDRW/DL 20X
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby rickzoll » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:54 am

Hi Saddletramp,

When I reinstalled I think it put the .16 kernel and then with the updates I go directly to .19. I booted last night with .16 version and it seemed that I needed to apply the recommended wireless settings and after that it gets to the same place of seeing access points but it never connects. I have security on both access points so as a test tonight, I think I'll open one of them up and see it the security is the problems.

Thanks, Rick
HP Pavillion dv9620us laptop dual boot to Ultimate Edition V3.4 64 bit and Vista. 1.9 GHz AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-58 processor, dual hard drives,120 GB, 64GB SSD, 2 GB RAM, LightScribe dual-layer DVD drive - 54g Wi-Fi (802.11b/g); 10/100 Ethernet; Nvidia GeForce Go 7150 graphics, 4 USB, 1 FireWire, 1 VGA, 1 S-Video, expansion port 3 connector, ExpressCard 54/34, 5-in-1 memory card reader - Pre-installed with Windows Vista Home Premium (I took care of that) 5-6 other machines, most are running Ultimate Edition.
rickzoll
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby SaddleTramp » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:17 am

rickzoll wrote:Hi Saddletramp,

When I reinstalled I think it put the .16 kernel and then with the updates I go directly to .19. I booted last night with .16 version and it seemed that I needed to apply the recommended wireless settings and after that it gets to the same place of seeing access points but it never connects. I have security on both access points so as a test tonight, I think I'll open one of them up and see it the security is the problems.

Thanks, Rick

Ok rick..sorry I'm not much more help...never been a wireless user myself..hoping one of our wireless experts would come by and lend a hand...I'll see if I can get one of'em in here...hang in there...let us know what you find looking at the security settings...
3 Rules: 1. Research; 2. Read; 3. Repeat 1 & 2
HP Pavilion a1700n; Asus A8M2N-LA; AMD Athlon X2 3800+ 2GHz; 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 Mem; nForce 430 Chipset
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Samsung 250GB SATA, WD 320GB SATA, WD 500GB 'GREEN' SATA
TSST DVDRW 16X DL; ASUS DRW-2014S1 DVDRW/DL 20X
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby rickzoll » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:07 am

After removing the WEP security on one access point, I still am unable to connect. So yes, if someone good with wireless could help that would be great.

Thanks, rickzoll
HP Pavillion dv9620us laptop dual boot to Ultimate Edition V3.4 64 bit and Vista. 1.9 GHz AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-58 processor, dual hard drives,120 GB, 64GB SSD, 2 GB RAM, LightScribe dual-layer DVD drive - 54g Wi-Fi (802.11b/g); 10/100 Ethernet; Nvidia GeForce Go 7150 graphics, 4 USB, 1 FireWire, 1 VGA, 1 S-Video, expansion port 3 connector, ExpressCard 54/34, 5-in-1 memory card reader - Pre-installed with Windows Vista Home Premium (I took care of that) 5-6 other machines, most are running Ultimate Edition.
rickzoll
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby rickzoll » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:27 pm

Good News! I'm now up and working on my wireless configuration. For those who follow in my footsteps, the directions at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=880218 worked for me.
Thanks for you help here. I'll try and update this thread to "solved"
rickzoll
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby alexjack » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:49 pm

really your choice is very good i do not see any kind of problem occuring with that configuration which you have given and specially with a new one not at all.

MODERATOR NOTE: No Adds in your signature files please
Removed by administration - Linux - ultimate edition based content allowed as well as personal content not related to illegal content or selling of content.
alexjack
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Previous

Return to Hardware