Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Dualboot with SATA and IDE drives

Discuss Hardware related issues here...

Dualboot with SATA and IDE drives

Postby apc15x » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:59 pm

Hello all I am just about 2 weeks from building my new box and I have a problem about the drives. 95% of my time is spent in Ultimate 1.8 so I want to put it on my new SATA drive and put XP on my IDE drive. I have been reading a lot of information about it but noticed that most say to put XP on the SATA drive and Ultimate on the IDE drive but I don't want to do that, I want to use my new drive with Ultimate. Can anyone give me some info about what are my options with this issue? Thanks in advance
    Dual Boot Win7 64 / Ultimate 2.4 x 64
    CPU: Intel Core 2Duo 3.0 E8400 Wolfdale 45nm
    MB: Intel Desktop DG31PR-1333
    Ram: 4GB DDR2 800 mhz
    Video: Intel Media Accelerator 3100
    Hard Disk: Sata WD 500GB
    20X DVD Burner
    Seagate 500 GB External Hard Drive
apc15x
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Re: Dualboot with SATA and IDE drives

Postby Baphomet » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:46 pm

It CAN be done but I'm going to let someone else explain the Ins-n-Outs of exactly how to set it up. The problem, such as it is, is that frequently GRUB and your PC's BIOS handle boot priorities a little differently and unless something is different in 8.04/1.8 you run the very real risk of a GRUB error, since BIOS (most commonly) presents the IDE drives first (in boot priority) where the kernel presents the IDE drives last (in boot priority). So there is a critical issue in mixed-drive systems where one of the drives may not be recognized and where Grub will experience issues trying to boot to a specific drive. Trust me, I tried it. If you wish to pursue this, it most certainly CAN be done, but it requires an expertise beyond my ability. Also, this issue does not ALWAYS manifest itself this way; frequently, but not always. Sometimes it's a simple matter of adjusting the boot priority in the system BIOS.

The simpler, and in my opinion better solution in many ways, is to install Windows XP then install Ultimate on the same SATA drive and then use the IDE drive as a slave-drive for data, system backups, etc.

Do as you wish, of course, but that would be my personal recommendation. But then too, I'm awfully big on backing things up.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...

If it's not broken, you haven't tweaked it enough.

Beginners Guide: Linux 101
Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.2 64 BIT

Re: Dualboot with SATA and IDE drives

Postby apc15x » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:36 pm

Thanks Baphomet for the reply. I was doing some more checking and I see that I could buy another SATA drive for $40.00 - $60.00 that I could use for XP and maybe this would be easier. I have been dual booting for some time (IDE) but I have always preferred to use 2 drives opposed to 1 drive. And at the very least I can just get ride of XP altogether. Again thanks for the help. <BREW>
    Dual Boot Win7 64 / Ultimate 2.4 x 64
    CPU: Intel Core 2Duo 3.0 E8400 Wolfdale 45nm
    MB: Intel Desktop DG31PR-1333
    Ram: 4GB DDR2 800 mhz
    Video: Intel Media Accelerator 3100
    Hard Disk: Sata WD 500GB
    20X DVD Burner
    Seagate 500 GB External Hard Drive
apc15x
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT