Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Debian 5.0 Lenny Lightscribe Labels

Debian 5.0 Lenny Lightscribe Labels

Postby red_team316 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:41 am

Made some i386 and AMD64 DVD lightscribe labels ready to burn with Lacie Lightscribe Labeler.
Go to Debian-Art.org link below for the actual full-size burnable images.

http://www.debian-art.org/content/show. ... tent=99804

Core i7 920(working on a decent OC), x58 ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, 6GB DDR3 1600, EVGA 8800GTS512, Silencer 750W PSU, CoolerMaster V8, Red Antec900
red_team316
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: Debian 5.0 Lenny Lightscribe Labels

Postby red_team316 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:45 am

I'm not sure yet lol, I haven't installed it yet as it's been torrenting all weekend. I'm on DVD3 of 5 at the moment. Since my netcard has been pretty well loaded, I've been giving myself programming headaches in the meantime :P

You should be able to get just the first disc, but depending on what you want on your install, it'll be limited to whatever is on the first disc.

I can probably whip up some Ultimate Edition labels :)
Core i7 920(working on a decent OC), x58 ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, 6GB DDR3 1600, EVGA 8800GTS512, Silencer 750W PSU, CoolerMaster V8, Red Antec900
red_team316
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby Baphomet » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:36 pm

I've been running Deb5 for few days now. Here's the downlow...

Install disc is small, 400MB or less and boots to your choice of a GUI, or non-GUI, installer. I chose the graphical install.

Installer walks you through the usual setup questions... You know, are you a man or a woman? Are you looking for a man, woman or underage child or... Oh... Wait, sorry wrong install! Heh... Forget I said that. Debian, that's right the Debian installer asks you about your keyboard and all that crap. Nothing new to see here, move along!

It does prompt you about installing "packages", the default being "desktop" which installs a pretty standard selection of apps like any Ubuntu user would be used to having (Open Office, etc.). There are several other options you can pick and choose from. I wanted a pretty minimal install so I stuck with the default "Desktop" package selection. So anyway yeah, you tool through some pretty basic setup stuff and then the installer starts downloading packages according to how you answered your install questions. I had just under 800 packages to download which took about 45 minutes. After that it's a "Smoke Test": Reboot the PC and hope there's no smoke...

Rebooted and... Voila! Debian booted right up to a pretty basic, but totally functional, Gnome desktop. Internet? Check! Sound? (After a Tweak) Check! Java? Check! Flash? Check! A person from Eastern Europe might be a... Czech! Okay then... Seems I'm rocking and rolling with all the essentials without having had to touch Synaptic. Nice. I'm liking this so far... It's looking bland but it's totally functional. A veritable "blank slate".

Things I miss/annoyances: Debian does not install some of the little bells and whistles I've gotten used to. For instance there is no default sound scheme installed, so your boots are silent. Debian uses a verbose boot, so there's no pretty "Loading Bar" to look at while you stare at your monitor for the ten seconds it takes Deb5 to boot up. There are a very limited number of screensavers to choose from (and Flurry is not one of them (and I so LOOOOOVE flurry!!!)) all of which pretty much suck. And I mean suck in the bad way. Compiz-Fusion is NOT installed by default. I installed it and immediately started having issues with it. Such is my history, however, with Compiz-Fusion: It's the compositor I hate to love. The hate though, in this case wins out. No Compiz for me. I've got my four desktops and that's all I need. Compiz is fun for me for a few minutes, but it can't hold a candle the increased responsiveness and overall system stability I get when it's NOT running. Debian uses Synaptic which is good, but seems slow at times in comparison to the 'buntu servers. Not always, but frequently. Suspend and Hibernate work but coming out of a Suspend state takes waaay too long. 30 secs or so? I haven't timed it, but it's slooooow. Minor annoyance but annoying nonetheless.

What I like about Debian is that it makes me feel like I've grown up a little. Nothing against Ubuntu, it's just that Ubuntu has always felt like Linux-With-Training-Wheels to me for some reason. Not the sort of hardcore statistical answer you'd expect from me, but in truth that's how I feel about Ubuntu. That and the fact that I'm not really thrilled with the direction that Ubuntu seems to be heading. But again... That's just me.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...

If it's not broken, you haven't tweaked it enough.

Beginners Guide: Linux 101
Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.2 64 BIT

Postby Baphomet » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:04 pm

I'll trade you for an install of Ultimate Edition 2.1 ... Where do I find it? I found that a lot of my install woes were due to one of my hard drives so with that issue resolved, and a spare hard drive to play with, I'd like to give Ultimate 2.1 a little test drive. Can't find the appropriate linkage though... ???

Debian is, imo, definitely worth a look. I was toying with Sidux (a version of a "stabilized" version of debian-unstable (or debian "testing" as they call it)) but after weeks of trying I just decided that Sidux and I weren't going to get along. Ever. Debian is much friendlier than I thought it was going to be. A fresh install of Debian needs some polish in my opinion, but I prefer a distro that needs stuff added to it more than a bloated one that requires my cleaning it up.
Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Baphomet » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:18 pm

strider5236 wrote:Here ya go. http://www.forumubuntusoftware.info/vie ... start=4230

I am burning now and will let you now the results after I install. ;)

Thanks... DL'ing now. Will have to try this out when I get home tonight. Will be curious to hear what you think RE: Debian.

Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Baphomet » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:54 pm

strider5236 wrote:I got it installed and it only took about a half hour to get through the install process. So far I am impressed. It is nice and clean to start with.

I concur. If you like your install just a liiiiittle on the spartan side, this could be your distro.
strider5236 wrote:I have installed a few of my usual suspects but having a hard time getting used to the limited repo and apps list. I have enabled the non-free repos but know there are more to get, just not sure witch ones. If you know of any good ones, please post.

What is it, exactly, that you're needing?

I found that all the usual codecs, Flash and Java were all running lickety-split on nothing more than my bootstrap-install.

I did a Sidux script to install the latest nVidia driver (180.xx) on my system, but I'm not sure you want that...

A question that has crossed my mind, and I honestly don't know the answer: Adding repo's from, say, Hardy Heron to a Debian sources.list file. Or what about just adding, say, just the medibuntu repo to a Debian sources.list???? I'm sure that doing this would bork the Debian install beyond all human reckoning, but I'm having trouble figuring out why.

Synaptic would handle dependencies, right, and the install process would happen on the Debian side of the house, ensuring everything goes where it needs to go. Synpatic would simply be able to draw on the resources of the combined repo's would it not? What am I missing, because I know I have to be; I'm just not understanding something here.

That being said... See this post regarding repos, generally speaking: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... st-330913/

Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby pch.shot » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:06 pm

I have had some success with installing packages from Debian(after going through dependency hell) when I couldn't get what I wanted from the Ubuntu repositories, but Ubuntu packages just don't work for the most part with Debian. Why? Me no know, me no care(a little Jamaican for ya all)!!!
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby Baphomet » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:11 pm

strider5236 wrote:Ya, that's were I am at. I know there is a repo we can add that will get us more apps but not sure what it was. I will have to do a little searching.

I am looking to get some apps like FF, GoogleEarth, Skype, and some others. I would like a repo so I do not have to download a bunch of deb's or compile a bunch of files. I have gotten quit lazy using Ubuntu and find it hard to break the bad habit.

Oh hell yes! I'm the same way. If it's in a repo somewhere, I want that repo, stat!

If you haven't already, see the link in my post above. I don't know if you want to add any of those repo's or not, but there's a TON of soures.list files being posted up that thread.

Can't be of too much help since I'm learning myself...

Also: RE FireFox... IceWeasel IS Firefox. It's just been rebranded. All your themes and plugins will work with it.

Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Baphomet » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:24 pm

strider5236 wrote:Check out this one for multimedia.

deb-src http://www.debian-multimedia.org stable main

That/those must be the Marillat repos I keep reading about...

I'm at work so I can't do anything linux related at the moment, but are you adding these repos?

Looks like it adds a TON of repositories!!!

Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby kiwinsn » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:06 pm

Does anyone know of working LightScribe software for use with Ubuntu X64 architechture?

Cheers
System:
Specs to come.
Registered Linux user number: 542342
kiwinsn

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Next

Return to Themes, wallpapers, logos etc.