Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

re branding a custom Linux Distro?

re branding a custom Linux Distro?

Postby mikeuhlik » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:47 pm

Hi everyone I was wondering how to change and edit text in a custom Distro to re brand it a good example is Ubuntu and Linux Mint.

I read this post on the net and was wondering if you Linux Mint would be willing to help and give any tips on this issue.
So many people have been asking the same question and we would love your help because of your great experience creating a great Distro.

Post I read below.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

http://www.linuxmint.com/

They both have Ubuntu stuff but the creator of Linux Mint has changed all the Ubuntu text to Linux Mint including kernel and more I have seen so many Distros out based off of Ubuntu having looked all over the net for months on how to do this. I have even looked in the file by them selfs to see if I can just find the text Ubuntu in any file the next step for me is to extract all the files from the Linuxmint.iso and look in every file there for Linux Mint were Ubuntu would be to verify the change is correct and safe to make this is the only way. I think this could be accomplished I know that the doc folders is a good start to re branding your Linux Distro. Also the item in the main Ubuntu menu system I was wondering if any one new were it says About Ubuntu were these file might be in the main drive were Ubuntu is installed so I could change this. I am surprised with all the new Distros no one has taken the time to explain this or help make a guide for the noobs like me to the Linux world with such great community support why has no one done it like the people at Linux mint they know were the file are to change this Linux Mint it the best example of re branding Ubuntu Ditros. I guess i will manually check every file to compare each file I can find to see what is safe and accurate to change. I wish some community members would give some tip on were to find text or language file to change these text in Ubuntu when I am finished with my comparing which will be a while because I am also doing website project I will wright the best guide I can from my experience and post the PDF all over this is a big issue that know one want to tackle so ill try if any one can help or have tip and ideas I am open to hear them please let me know here. I think this is the best place to start.

(Note) for re branding it to start with all document files in the doc folders. Also if some one could tell me were the language or text file extension are to make search and comparing easy I would appreciate it a lot.

P.S. Thank for your time and help everyone in the Linux community together well make better OS Distros :)

Mike

Please if you could I would appreciate the help a lot by the way I am a huge Linux Mint fan and user.
Open Your Mind

Its The Way Of The World Its The Way Its All Ways Going To Be
mikeuhlik
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Re: re branding a custom Linux Distro?

Postby red_team316 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:58 am

There are several programs that have been made to make remastering or creating new distros earier.

reconstructor (chroot ability)
remastersys (works like a backup)
UCK (Ubuntu Customization Kit)
Revisor (for fedora)
...I'm sure there are several others I forgot...

They all have their strengths and weaknesses depending on what you want to accomplish. I'm pretty sure several of the Mints were made with a combination of reconstructor/remastersys. I do development for reconstructor, so thats my preference :P

TheeMahn does his customizations by hand now. You can also look in the Programming section, as he has showed how he has made several of the Ultimate Edition releases.

Hope that helps :D
Core i7 920(working on a decent OC), x58 ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, 6GB DDR3 1600, EVGA 8800GTS512, Silencer 750W PSU, CoolerMaster V8, Red Antec900
red_team316
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: re branding a custom Linux Distro?

Postby mikeuhlik » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:22 am

I Have been using a lot of the mentioned OS Distro creators but non of them show how to change the text like Ubuntu on the install screen to (MYOS) Thats the main thing i have not found out how to do like when i install your distro it say Ultimate on the install page i found were to change the kernel and some other text in the main new Ubuntu like the help doc and so on but not the install page if you could help let me know.

I will keep reading your Programming section.

Thanks so much for your time.
Open Your Mind

Its The Way Of The World Its The Way Its All Ways Going To Be
mikeuhlik
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Return to Themes, wallpapers, logos etc.