Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Libcups2-dev issue[SOLVED]

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 3.2

Libcups2-dev issue[SOLVED]

Postby Icetech » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:25 pm

Hello, i just switched from fedora to Ultimate Edition to try it out and love it so far but i have one issue that makes me unable to use the OS right now.. I use an older software that depends on libqt3-mt-dev but when i try to install that package usint apt-get i get this:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libqt3-mt-dev : Depends: libcups2-dev but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

So if i try to install libcups2-dev i get:

root@bigjohn:~# apt-get install libcups2
Building dependency tree
libcups2 is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
root@bigjohn:~# apt-get install libcups2-dev
Building dependency tree
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libcups2-dev : Depends: libcups2 (= 1.5.0-8ubuntu6) but 1.5.0-8ubuntu7 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I have tried apt-get install -f to cleanup things and apt-get update and all that.. for about 3 hours now to get this working.. does anyone know what could be causing this? or what logs i could post that might help?

P.S. im not super linux savy, i know enough to just get things working so any help in laymans terms would be great, thank you much
Icetech
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Re: Libcups2-dev issue

Postby Icetech » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:32 am

Sorry, knew i wouldn't give enough info:) and after reading the forums here you guys have nothing to apologize for.. amazing support and 1 day wait is nothing:)

Ok.. system is a fresh install of UE3.2 32bit The program i am trying to install is called Showeq, its a older program that uses QT3 and you have to have libqt3-mt-dev installed also which is what wont install, libqt3 says it needed libcups2-dev which gives the error above when you try to install it.. basically to me it looks like qt3 is looking for a older version of libcups2-dev.

"The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libcups2-dev : Depends: libcups2 (= 1.5.0-8ubuntu6) but 1.5.0-8ubuntu7 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages."

I dont understand that error honestly.. I had spent hours search for fixes and most people said apt-get with the -f switch would fix it.. doesn't, everything comes up clean.

This was all on a fresh install, no extra repo's or anything added. 3 days ago i actually had setup the newest kubuntu and had zero issues with that program (the OS itself is another matter...) so i dont think its a problem with qt3 or my program being too out of date.

Thanks..
Icetech
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Icetech » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:36 am

P.S. I setup a fresh UE3.2 32bit on my laptop here at work to play with today and learn the os, without doing anything else and just trying to install libqt3-mt-dev i get first get the audacious-plugins error that other people have reoported here. I ran a apt-get install -f to clear that then apt-get install libqt3-mt-dev and get the libcups2-dev error right away.. Thought this might help in troubleshooting a bit, being on a second machine and clean install with the same issue..

Thanks again
Icetech
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Icetech » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:56 am

ok.. P.P.S. so out of boredom i install Ultimate Edition 3.2 64bit on my laptop and had zero issue compiling QT3 or the program i use (other than telling Ultimate Edition to use qt3 not qt4 with the update-alternatives command)

i will switch my machine at home to 64bit.. so problem solved for me:)
Icetech
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Return to Ultimate Edition 3.2