Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Ultimate Edition 3.2 just unity

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 3.2

Ultimate Edition 3.2 just unity

Postby tag351 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:46 pm

i have unity in classic mode ,i have a nice wallpaper in gnome. dont install this crap
tag351
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: Ultimate Edition 3.2 just unity

Postby pch.shot » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:48 pm

Interesting.
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby billhedrick » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:35 am

OK... that could be a little more fleshed out, what crap do you think should not be installed?
billhedrick
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby TheeMahn » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:23 pm

I built 3.2 more to showcase different environments. I did not build it as a stable platform, however when I install it and provided I stick with Gnome fallback runs flawlessly. I delve into other environments and issues begin. All environments in my opinion are less then stable, Unity being no exception. My choice O/S would be 2.6.5 or 3.0.1. 2.6.5 being bulletproof, but not having cutting edge software (stability) 3.0.1 would be my second choice, provided you like gnome a great second choice, then again this is after Ubuntu stuck their nose into places it did not belong. If it is not broken do not fix it.

I am not a KDE buff, funny building 3.1 as I type this. As I can see raw numbers I can say 2.9 was quite the release downloaded well over 100,000 times. I suppose it could be argued its the theme etc. I honestly do not think so. IMHO Unity is a joke. If I wanted a cellphone on my 28" monitor I would buy a hdmi cable for my phone and boot it.
3.1.png
What makes it different other then a theme?
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby synrgy87 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:51 pm

lol love the above post :lol:

2.9 was great solid as a rock for me i had it as the only os on my laptop for a fairly long time (long time and os doesnt normally go in the same sentence for me, let alone talking about the same machine)

between kde and unity i deffinatly prefer kde, hogs the resources but functions alot better and nicer to use.

using the gimp in unity is a pain due to the universal menu bar thing.
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
8GB (2x4gb) Kingston HyperX DDR1600

160GB Hitachi deskstar(os and boot) 1TB deskstar(data) 1TB WD USB drive(backup+)
2x XFX ATI 5830 1024mb in crossfire
Saitek Eclipse keyboard + Saitek Cyborg V3 mouse + Thrustmaster T.Flight HotasX

Acer 23" HDTV/monitor + AOC 21"
Xigmatek Midgard Case.
multibooting all sorts + Ultimate Edition 3.5 / BlackOpal64 / windies 7 home premium 64bit
synrgy87
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Postby Billie Cowie » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:11 pm

TheeMahn, can I just clarify something here?
Are you saying you can't get Gnome-shell up and running right too?
I, and I think others were under the impression that 3.2 was a " stable release ".
Of course it works fine under Gnome classic/fallback-what is the actual difference there?
Yet I wouldn't have bothered downloading it if I had known Gnome-shell was going to give me problems.
What would have been the point when 3.0.1 runs so well? Under Gnome classic/fallback ( whatever) 3.2 has less to offer me than 3.0.1 and the latter runs faster and cooler. Having gotten used to Gnome-shell with Dream I was looking forward to seeing how well you got it integrated into the Ultimate Edition environment.
It's not my hardware because I am using Gnome-shell with Dream on the same machine and there is no problem at all.Could you clarify as I think a few people are dancing in the dark here.
And 3.1 what's that all about ?
This is not a gripe, by the way, I appreciate that Ultimate Edition is free as in beer,etc,but I am genuinely puzzled here?
Is 3.1 the next stable release and will it have Gnome-shell/Gnome3/Gnome ( or whatever )? :th_th0002014F
Apart from all that, it's great to see you back into the swing of things. Stay cool!
All that I am or seem is but a dream within a dream.
Billie Cowie
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 32 BIT

Postby blakefreak » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:24 pm

Gnome 3 working just fine here.
Tried to get unity working just for giggles but gave up.
blakefreak
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby Billie Cowie » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:34 pm

Well with so many people having different experiences, I am going to wait a little, chill out over the weekend, do another download and then clean install.
Till then, Happy Camping Kiddies! :lol:
All that I am or seem is but a dream within a dream.
Billie Cowie
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 32 BIT

Postby Herpy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:08 pm

I do not like unity at all. I hate that bar thing, makes navigating it very confusing. Which is why I usually like plain wm's like fluxbox or openbox, heck even LXDE (My enviroment of choice). Cause it is clean and simple, and with fluxbox and others like it, you can edit in your most used apps at the beginning panel for easy access.

I do like eyecandy but simplicity far outranks it, plus I do like the look of minimal, sleek enviroments. Without these big tacky looking buttons that make my brain hurt.
Herpy
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby Moebius » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:55 am

The beauty of Linux...
Freedom of choice and each to their own.
I just can't handle Gnome Classic or Cinamon anymore. It's just too stale and yesterday (for me).
The trick with Unity is to actually force yourself to use it and break free of old habbits and preconceived ideas. Once you do that, you start understanding the concepts behind it. It's easy to hate on new ideas because inherently people hate change. Fair enough. If you like Gnome Classic/Cinamon or Gnome Shell, then good on you, but don't hate on something different because it's not something you fully understand yet. If you have given it a propper workout and review and still hate it, that's fine too because after all, you are still in the Linux community and that's what counts.
I'll just add that the first few releases of the 'Unity' DE in Ubuntu were bug riddled, hobbled and not very practical.
Things change.

Screenshot.png
GNOME 3.2.1
Oz Unity Developement (32) Kernel 15
Moebius Custom Gothic
Intel DG33FB Mainboard
Intel Core2Duo E8400
Amicroe 2 x 1Gb DDR2
WD 250Gb Sata II WD2500AAKS (O/S)
WD 500Gb Sata II WD5000AAKS (Data)
LG Super Multi DVDRW
GeForce 8600GT PCI-E 16x 512Mb 540 MHz