Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Broke In Minutes

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 3.2

Broke In Minutes

Postby blakefreak » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:06 am

I liked the look of Gnome 3 so I figured I would have a gander at what Thee has done with Unity. I changed the window manager to Metacity and then logged out and back in. All I get was my wallpaper and cursor. I couldn't even right click to bring up a menu. I know when I tried the alpha release I had the same problem. However, when it happened then I was able to right click, create a folder and get back in to everything.
blakefreak
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Re: Broke In Minutes

Postby Billie Cowie » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:43 pm

Hi Blakefreak.
Before logging out & in again,-did you enable Unity-plugin in settings manager, after choosing Metacity?
All that I am or seem is but a dream within a dream.
Billie Cowie
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 32 BIT

Postby blakefreak » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:26 pm

yeah I did.. lemme try this again.. just for giggles.
If it craps out on me I'll likely need to reinstall so It might be a bit before I can report back.

One more thing of note is the massive distortion when activating desktop cube rotation via cntrl+alt+Right click... Not sure what's going on there or if it's just me but there is some pretty heafty windows 98 style window ghosting.
blakefreak
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby blakefreak » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:26 pm

edit - PHPBB desperately wanted me to post the same thing twice.. I refuse
blakefreak
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby blakefreak » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:01 pm

That time I was able to open a folder and start the unity panel. I was not able to get it to stick however. I tried to add to startup but didn't matter. I then tried to go back to gnome and was greeted with a stock gnome 3 interface. Reinstalling now.
blakefreak
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby blakefreak » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:02 pm

That time I was able to open a folder and start the unity panel. I was not able to get it to stick however. I tried to add to startup but didn't matter. I then tried to go back to gnome and was greeted with a stock gnome 3 interface. Reinstalling now.
blakefreak
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby VirtualNexus » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:46 pm

Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 bit
I have used Ultimate Edition since 2.6 and NEVER had issues and I still love my 3.0.1 and 2.8 and thanks for that. BUT.... I usually don't post with minor problems, but this is ridiculous!

Not only did Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 bit disintegrate before my eyes in less than 20 minutes, I also lost the sata ata controller on the mobo and now my SATA's are on the shelf as spares for by best desktop which will never see Ultimate Edition 3.2. My reliable desktop was working fine and had other OS's working fine for a long time. I had one 100 gb partition reserved for Ultimate Edition 3.2. This is the first time I ever had a failed OS take out my motherboard. Seems a bit more than just coincidence? I have tested about fifty OS's on it with no hardware issues. Very few burned distros end up in my disc folders and this did not make it there.
Here's how it went down.
Downloaded with one failed dl at s forge with 318 mb, switched to direct link, then ok, checked file, burned DVD, installed – all OK
Restarted and logged into gnome classic (no effects) – by default. Everything looked good, wireless was on and off. Logged out and into gnome classic. Still no effects, checked nvidia drivers – installed already, no options there. Effects check boxes all checked, wireless erroneously displayed on an off even though firefox still worked. Started to get windows with no borders, no right click and not able to put icons on task bar.
Logged out and into gnome (what gnome 3?) and I was presented with pretty background, two icons, a spinning cursor, no task bars, no right click – nothing was there. Had to push the reset button to restart just to get out of there.
Restarted back into gnome classic – still no effects. As I open a few windows, I began to lose borders, no right clicks and finally no clicks at all even though cursor was still moving. Finally it locked up altogether and had to press reset again to get out and reboot.
Rebooted into Ubuntu and Ubuntu 2 and the media DE and seemed to work OK, but not interested in Ubuntu D/E so I logged out and back into gnome classic for further testing. Still no effects working. Mouse clicks began not working as before and finally locked up again. I pretty much decided by this point this was not working out and decided to reboot and delete the nightmare.
BOOM!
Restarted only to see the BIOS telling me I no longer had either of my 320 gb SATA drives. Restarted several times, checked bios and discovered the sata controller had been taken out. I now had nothing but a pile of used computer parts. What to do? Talk about disappointed and surprised!!!
Took both SATA's out and installed the two original IDE 80 gb drives and they worked good. One had original Win XP and the other was blank, which I installed Ultimate Edition 301 with no issues.
I don't think I will dare to install Ultimate Edition 3.2 on my 'ultimate system' just yet. No way.
I did not try to make Unity work, not interested in Unity. I have three other desktops and a few laptops, so this is not a big loss for me.
I know this sounds unbelievable, but it DID happen.

My test system:
2.8 mHz dual core Intel P4
MSI Neo-2 Platinum mobo
Nvidia 6600 GT
850 W PSU
1 GB Dual Channel RAM
2 X 320 GB SATA ( not anymore)
VirtualNexus
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 32 BIT

Postby megaptera » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:04 pm

blakefreak wrote:I liked the look of Gnome 3 so I figured I would have a gander at what Thee has done with Unity. I changed the window manager to Metacity and then logged out and back in. All I get was my wallpaper and cursor. I couldn't even right click to bring up a menu. I know when I tried the alpha release I had the same problem. However, when it happened then I was able to right click, create a folder and get back in to everything.

Following this one 'cos I'm having the same problems :D
megaptera

Operating System: Other Linux

Return to Ultimate Edition 3.2