Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Gnome 3.6 iso boot of VBOX?

Topics not related to Ultimate Edition.

Gnome 3.6 iso boot of VBOX?

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:28 pm

Hey have only 7 months of using Linux and other OS's period! Now I was under the impression Gnome was just another piece that gets added to build a Linux or Unix OS? For the hell of it, I had the 3.6 iso and loaded into VirtualBox. I thought for sure I would get an error message! Nope it booted up like an OS? Am quite confused on this and am sure those that are very experienced will laugh at me, but would be awesome for someone to give me some insight! Am really curious what goes into development, as have read some things but not half of what is needed!!!! From what I have seen, seems like takes quite a while to fit the pieces together properly so they behave normally! Since I feel Ultimate Edition developers are tops would be very grateful to hear a reply about how that Gnome iso can just boot on its own? Thanks very much in advance and as always you developers will always be my favs!!!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Re: Gnome 3.6 iso boot of VBOX?

Postby Xanayoshi » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:37 pm

http://www.gnome.org/

Because it is Gnome;D

Someone else can explain it better than me. I know what you're saying and I know why you might think that and I was going to use MS-DOS to Windows as an example but that felt horribly inadequate.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:52 pm

Can you be a little more descriptive? Remember am not a genius! To me from probing it on VBOX is close to an OS just lacks security of password protection. Otherwise seems one can build onto it to make their own OS? Been trying to get a little know how on this stuff. Am not a real quick thinker! Wishing I would have dropped Windoze a few years ago and started learning Linux is much more fascinating!!!!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Xanayoshi » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:18 pm

Gnome is an OS. Many Distro builds combine others and some are just themed versions. Satanic Ubuntu used to be based off Christian Ubuntu which is based off of Ubuntu and is really just a theme for the most part. If you get into Linux Mint and Ultimate Edition territory you are encountering builds that incorporate what the designer feels works best out of many flavors of Linux combined with the ability to actually work. Ubuntu is like this too.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:07 am

Blackwolf, kind of got me there as you are much more intelligent than I am! I remember reading that when I downloaded it, but to be honest am not a 100% clear on what exactly it is. Zan am sort of catching it that actually is an OS and have seen the vmlinuz(kernel image) that proves that point! When I downloaded it I wanted to see if I could install it to another OS inside Vbox! Probably sounds stupid, but is all in the endeavors of learning! Time is not on my side so much as have lots of homework with school, so I just mess with different stuff here and there. Have a long way to go! I want to one day give back to Ultimate, the fun, dependability and enjoyment I get from it! Ultimate is a great friend and one hell of a worker! Saves time on many things and is more user friendly than Windoze! Sure command line has to be used here and there, but when thing work immediately and no re-installation required, I call that success! Before Ultimate, the Linux distributions I tried were much more difficult. Some claimed they were user friendly, but I sincerely disagree! Don't want to mention any names and is in the past! Am happy where I am at and plan to stay here as long as possible! I have also downloaded the linux from scratch documentation as to read when time permits! Making a system as user friendly and responsive as Ultimate is a dream one day I hope to accomplish! Is probably years down the road, but will do my best and just want to give others the same feeling Ultimate has given me!!!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Return to General Discussion - Birthdays-Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here!