Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Under the Microscope: Hefty Hairball (Alpha 6)

Topics not related to Ultimate Edition.

Re: Under the Microscope: Hefty Hairball (Alpha 6)

Postby Baphomet » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:21 pm

DaddyX3 wrote:Here is the thing, somebody that is not a "geek" will never change their OS from whatever was pre-installed. That eliminates about 98% of the world population that use computers. If you are a "geek" and build your own computers then you are much more likley to change your OS and are not afraid to do so. These are the people that flock to *nix systems. These are the people that contribute to the community and spread the good word.

Excellent point.
DaddyX3 wrote:Why would anyone release something that has known issues and that is going to cause frusteration? I don't know, but I do know that MicroSoft did!

That was more to the thrust of my original "complaint". It frustrates me to see something so potentially "n00b killing" still cropping up so far along in the development cycle. You can point to the fact that 'Hairball is still Alpha, but Ubuntu is not. No point in beating this dead horse though, I suppose.

pch.shot wrote:Actually, most of the best software is free of charge!! ... There is no viable reason to use MS anymore... Windows box, it takes 2 days to get it back up to snuff. With Linux, I'm back up and running within a couple of hours.

Absolutely. I agree with you on all points here.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...

If it's not broken, you haven't tweaked it enough.

Beginners Guide: Linux 101
Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.2 64 BIT

Postby LeadFingers » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:13 pm

As zealous as everyone is to say "Nix is the equivalent of M$ and the mass public would switch over
if they weren't ignorant of the fact", sadly this concept is not yet true.
Never mind that M$ is still the gaming king,
The driver issue is also a moot point as more nix support is hitting the market every day,
The main issue for much of the population is M$ Office compatibility.
There is NO nix office product that is 100% compatible.
Nowhere close!
Once this is resolved, I believe we will see a large portion of businesses switching over to nix,
and the folks who use that at work will quickly switch as well.
I don't think anyone of us here have any idea how many people pick up a nix distro every year or 2
hoping it's finally ready to replace M$.
I believe uncle bill knows, and is fighting hard to keep the market saturation working in his favor.
Once open office can effectively run VB, look out M$.

On the Ubuntu issue...
Yes Ubuntu should fix their bugs!
Looking at both sides of the issue, they can't fix what they don't know.
Enter the alpha & beta testers
Anyone who gets an alpha or beta and expects no bugs, is definitely new to this planet !
AND we all know (even in stable releases) some bugs are not fixable till newer software is implemented.
The biggest challenge Ubuntu faces is the hardware race.
How many new pieces of driver requiring hardware hit the street every day?
and how many of these does Ubuntu manage to include?
All things being equal, I think they are doing a pretty fine job,
Considering M$ is not hampered by these restraints.
They have the manufacture supplied drivers to fall back on.

Ya they still have issues,
we can't put the install DVD in the drive and walk away
expecting it to be flawlessly installed when we get back,
But that day is not far away,
and you got to admit Ultimate Edition comes closer to that than anyone else.

and that's what I think so there!
1st Box: Ultimate Edition 2.0 x64/ 1.8 x64
2nd Box: XP (dusty)
3rd Box: Stable Media box Ultimate Edition 1.8 x64 with XBMC

The Oxen are slow but the Earth is patient ~Chuen~
LeadFingers
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby Baphomet » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:21 pm

LeadFingers wrote:How many new pieces of driver requiring hardware hit the street every day?
and how many of these does Ubuntu manage to include?

I was told this was going to be multiple choice!!!

LeadFingers wrote:and that's what I think so there!

My sleepless nights are over.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...

If it's not broken, you haven't tweaked it enough.

Beginners Guide: Linux 101
Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.2 64 BIT

Postby deate » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:11 pm

A beginners point of view: DaddyX3 is right about 98% not changing form what is installed, one main reason...they paid for all those programs...My first computer was a Sony Vaio, cost about 3500 dollars, looking back the computer itself was probably worth about 7 to 8 hundred dollars, the rest was all the cost of installed software...I think that I read that Dell is now offering computers pre-loaded with Linux...you think that since Linux is free these will cost less? My entire family is getting their computers converted to Linux, like it or not,and it will be just as usual... the kids will be the ones who pick up how to use it, and have to teach their parents, just as they have had to do with all the latest technology. As a beginner, I "KNOW" better than to think I could use some of the newest distros, heck I can barely operate a terminal yet, much less fight my way out of some of the scenarios you guys discuss here. More to the point...if you find something that's broken and can fix it, take the time to post a How-To...continue with the THEE MAHN philosophy of educating...be nice to deate and solve all his problems...and the world will be a better place :P
deate
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite

Previous

Return to General Discussion - Birthdays-Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here!