Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Hoping 8.04 is faster than 7.10

Topics not related to Ultimate Edition.

Hoping 8.04 is faster than 7.10

Postby Zero Prime » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:05 pm

As for a lot of people 7.10 has been a slow distro. Unfortunately Ultimate Edition 1.7 is also hindered by the slowness of 7.10. I can't wait till Hardy is released. I'm praying it is a fast distro. My PC just seems to hate 7.10. It really sucks to. I've temporarily had to switch to Linux Mint. This decision was based after testing it out. It is a fast distro, even though I don't know how considering it is also based on 7.10. It is a nice distro, but my heart still belongs to Ultimate Edition. Ultimate Edition uses a much better method for installing harder to get software and also has more software more easily available. I'm missing that right now. I'm also missing the fact that with LM I had to install all the needed theme engines, needed for me that is.

To my fellow admins and mods, please forgive me for the temporary move. When 1.8 comes out I'll be using Ultimate Edition as my primary OS again. I say primary because it is still installed on my second hard drive. There is no way I could just get rid of Ultimate Edition. It's just to great of a distro to do that. Besides, I am an Ultimate Edition admin after all. :)

I do look at the temp switch as a plus though. I've seen a few things in LM that could easily be included in Ultimate Edition. I really like the start menu. I think that it would be something nice to include in Ultimate Edition. Not the same one of course, but a new one, made just for Ultimate Edition. Also I like the LM Google page. It helps generate needed income for the distro. Those are just 2 things I can think of that would help this already geat distro.
Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!
Windows 7 64bit / Ultimate Edition 2.5
AMD Phenom 945 3.0Ghz Quad core
Foxconn A7GM-S AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI
HIS ATI 4670 1Gig
6GB DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
Seagate 250gig HD
Thermaltake Xaser V case
Zero Prime
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: Hoping 8.04 is faster than 7.10

Postby cowboy » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:46 pm

Tried LM, on another box, I don't agree. The only shortcomings of Ultimate Edition is the user or hardware, sorry to be blunt. LM has a far way to go before it comes close to Ultimate Edition..if you want speed..look at at Ultimate Edition 1.4 CD. You are comparing a Distro that is fully loaded and made for the user to have a complete no nonsense OS on the get go, that is Ultimate Edition We will see you back soon.. ;)
"Back up your Data"
"May I never lose the view of a nubie"
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish , he will eat a lifetime"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Evga Superclock CPU Cooler
Mushkin SSD coming soon
http://acowboydave.blogspot.com/
cowboy
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Cab » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:12 pm

I would have to agree, a person could stream line ultimate and make it even faster but its like any OS you choose. You want all out speed or you want the bells and whistles? Anyone who ever suffered through windows knows the same thing you start adding stuff and it may look nice but man it slows down. you could uninstall a lot of things on here you dont use and it would run a lot faster boot faster etc.. It boils down to whats acceptable for a person and obviously what you use the most.
Mother Board: ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO WIFI
CPU: AMD 2700X
Memory: 32GB CORSAIR PRO RGB @3200
Video Card: EVGA GTX1080 FTW
Hard Drives: 1TB Network Drive, 1TB 860 EVO SSD, 1TB 970 EVO M.2
I'm in Southern New Mexico, USA (not Mexico)
Cab
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Postby pch.shot » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:22 pm

I have been using Linux for two months now. I spent the first month fighting with 30 or 40 Distros. Then , I came across this one and Bingo!!! I have been using it for a month solid. I even joined this forum(first time in my life-and I'm old). I have learned more in that month than I would have in a year using anything else. The fact that you have all the software and the eye candy at your disposal is amazing. Any obstacles I have encountered I have been able to overcome with a bit of research. I am using a PIII and Ultimate runs faster than Windows XP does. Vista(and some other Linux) won't even run !!! I boot up in 2 1/2 minutes(after using the Ultimate tweaking guide). I have extended the life of this box without having to resort to using a low end Distro.Sure, with 8 megs of video ram I don't get the spinning desktop, but things like that always make me dizzy. pch
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby Zero Prime » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:41 pm

I think I have been mis-understood. I'm not knocking Ultimate Edition by any means. It's my favorite distro by far, I wouldn't be here if it wasn't. All I was stating is that I hope that 8.04 is faster than 7.10. It is widely known that Gutsy is slow. Despite it being slower than Feisty, I like the features more. For me and many others it wouldn't matter how much I streamline Ultimate Edition. It is based on Gutsy. Gutsy is slow on my machine and inherently so is 1.6 and 1.7. If the regular Ubuntu 7.10 is slow on my machine then it wouldn't matter how much I streamline.

This is why I'm hoping 8.04 is faster. Ultimate Edition will be faster if 8.04 is faster. The only reason I'm using LM is because for some reason is is faster on my machine than Gutsy. Maybe it was just luck.

The strange thing is this. Once a did a re-install of 1.7. It ran much faster than the original install. I wonder if that is the same thing that happened this time. Hmm. Time to play around again.
HIS ATI 4670 1Gig
6GB DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
Seagate 250gig HD
Thermaltake Xaser V case
Zero Prime
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Postby Zero Prime » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:39 pm

Just did a re-install of 1.7. It is running faster with the new RAM. Even got 23 second time from start up till GDM and 12 seconds till desktop. Not bad. I love new RAM.
HIS ATI 4670 1Gig
6GB DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
Seagate 250gig HD
Thermaltake Xaser V case
Zero Prime
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Return to General Discussion - Birthdays-Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here!