Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Raid0 questions

Topics not related to Ultimate Edition.

Raid0 questions

Postby DaddyX3 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:57 pm

TheeMahn wrote:
smuggly wrote:Can Someone Please Post A Way To Make Network Sharing With Windows A Bit More Understandable For Us Newbies,I Had Mine Working One Way For Awhile And Now Its Gone For Good It Seems,Any Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated. Thank You

Tom
Ps Running 1.5 U.U

I have now written a How to for this. Let me know if it as simple as I make it seem ;)

Hey TheeMahn, You did a nice job on that, but ... Checking out the shares on Ubuntu has never been a big issue for me but rather checking out the Windows Shares is a much more difficult task to me. I don' t know why, but seeing the "shared" (which by the way, in Vista there is more than meets the eye) folders on the ntfs drives are a pain, and I also didn't notice if you mentioned that you have to create a user account on the machines as well for the different computer to allow browsing. I appologize in advance, if I have been misled myself, and I'm just going off of what I have read. I've been struggling with this for a while now. :evil: Now ... how bout Ultimate Edition reading a Raid 0 disk array for storage???? That one could be a different topic if you would like. or PM me

Edit: I am at my initial phase of a how to for raid, please take note as I update it.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Re: Network Config

Postby TheeMahn » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:12 pm

DaddyX3 wrote:
TheeMahn wrote:
smuggly wrote:Can Someone Please Post A Way To Make Network Sharing With Windows A Bit More Understandable For Us Newbies,I Had Mine Working One Way For Awhile And Now Its Gone For Good It Seems,Any Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated. Thank You

Tom
Ps Running 1.5 U.U

I have now written a How to for this. Let me know if it as simple as I make it seem ;)

Hey TheeMahn, You did a nice job on that, but ... Checking out the shares on Ubuntu has never been a big issue for me but rather checking out the Windows Shares is a much more difficult task to me. I don' t know why, but seeing the "shared" (which by the way, in Vista there is more than meets the eye) folders on the ntfs drives are a pain, and I also didn't notice if you mentioned that you have to create a user account on the machines as well for the different computer to allow browsing. I appologize in advance, if I have been misled myself, and I'm just going off of what I have read. I've been struggling with this for a while now. :evil: Now ... how bout Ultimate Edition reading a Raid 0 disk array for storage???? That one could be a different topic if you would like. or PM me

None of the computers in this house use vista (to me a totally useless HOGG!!!) so it makes testing difficult for me. The how to has been tested with XP and worked perfect for me. Raid 0.. Ironmahn and I tried to get it to work on his PC some time back and failed this was with Edgy or Feisty using mdmadm perhaps a retry may be in order followed by a how to if we succeed, that is up to him. Raid 0 is simple to get working provided you are not booting from the drive, kinda defeats the purpose...
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby DaddyX3 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:59 pm

"Raid 0 is simple to get working provided you are not booting from the drive, kinda defeats the purpose..."
OK, now your just making me feel stupid. That is exactly what I want the raid 0 for! Not to boot from, but for storage. I know, "kinda defeats the purpose", but I would like to utilize more of the disk space available between the drives (when using big files >700MB) and only see 1-drive instead of 2 in nautilus (one place to look instead of 2). how do I set it up?
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby TheeMahn » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:24 pm

DaddyX3 wrote:"Raid 0 is simple to get working provided you are not booting from the drive, kinda defeats the purpose..."
OK, now your just making me feel stupid. That is exactly what I want the raid 0 for! Not to boot from, but for storage. I know, "kinda defeats the purpose", but I would like to utilize more of the disk space available between the drives (when using big files >700MB) and only see 1-drive instead of 2 in nautilus (one place to look instead of 2). how do I set it up?

raid 0 or striping is intended more so for the speed increase if 1 drive fails you lose it all, jbod or disk spanning may also be an option for you as well. I will be writing a partitioning how to explaining the different raid systems and benefits to each as well as setup. I will also cover various file systems it will be much more elaborate then my Tweaking page. I only have so much time in the day a best case scenario would be this weekend, I still have to write a page for the official release of 1.6... I also have a gamers edition sitting in the drive untested alot to do so little time to do it. The script ... the list goes on.
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby DaddyX3 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:40 pm

TheeMahn wrote:
DaddyX3 wrote:"Raid 0 is simple to get working provided you are not booting from the drive, kinda defeats the purpose..."

raid 0 or striping is intended more so for the speed increase if 1 drive fails you lose it all, jbod or disk spanning may also be an option for you as well. I will be writing a partitioning how to explaining the different raid systems and benefits to each as well as setup. I will also cover various file systems it will be much more elaborate then my Tweaking page. I only have so much time in the day a best case scenario would be this weekend, I still have to write a page for the official release of 1.6... I also have a gamers edition sitting in the drive untested alot to do so little time to do it. The script ... the list goes on.

Thanx for the reply, I totally understand your time constraints. I'll keep my nose to the grind-stone till then.
ps- I didn't think about jbod, thats probably a better option for me. I had raid 0 set up (actually 2-separate raid 0 arrays) in XP and VISTA, thought that I would be a speed demon, however I ended up just using a 465GB raid 0 for storage, not really utilizing the speed difference at all.

DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Re: Raid0 questions

Postby ccal » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:48 pm

RAID0 array creation with mdadm :

## Install mdadm, Linux Software RAID management
$ sudo apt-get install mdadm

## RAID0 array creation using devices /dev/sda5 & /dev/sdc3
$ sudo mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=0 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda5 /dev/sdc3

## RAID array status
$ sudo cat /proc/mdstat

## RAID0 array /dev/md0 is available
## Example of an ext3 filesystem
$ sudo mke2fs -j /dev/md0

The size of the new partition /dev/md0 is the sum of /dev/sda5 & /dev/sdc3, writes are split across the 2 HD's, increasing write speed, the downside is that if a drive fails all the data is lost.
ccal

Postby DaddyX3 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:09 pm

ccal wrote:RAID0 array creation with mdadm :

## Install mdadm, Linux Software RAID management
$ sudo apt-get install mdadm

## RAID0 array creation using devices /dev/sda5 & /dev/sdc3
$ sudo mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=0 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda5 /dev/sdc3

## RAID array status
$ sudo cat /proc/mdstat

## RAID0 array /dev/md0 is available
## Example of an ext3 filesystem
$ sudo mke2fs -j /dev/md0

The size of the new partition /dev/md0 is the sum of /dev/sda5 & /dev/sdc3, writes are split across the 2 HD's, increasing write speed, the downside is that if a drive fails all the data is lost.

OK ccal, this was great, thank you very much. I think I did a boo boo. during the install process it asked me 2 questions:
1. MD arrays needed for root file system?: none
2. Do you want to start MD array automatically?: no
I don't know why I typed "no", I knew that I was supposed to type "yes", but for some stupid reason ... my fingers said "no"
So ... here we go:
I checked to see if the stripe showed up in "Places >> Computer ... of course not :oops: I checked to see if the new md0 showed up using gnome partition editor and it did. So I know it worked it shows:
Screenshot-Information about -dev-md0p1.png

whats up with the warning? and the path: /dev/md0p1 ? I didn't specify a "p1" is that for 'partition 1'?
*Now how do I repair my boo boo and get it to load automatically? I'm so sorry, that was a total brain fart :oops:

DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby ccal » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:49 pm

DaddyX3 wrote:whats up with the warning? and the path: /dev/md0p1 ? I didn't specify a "p1" is that for 'partition 1'?
*Now how do I repair my boo boo and get it to load automatically? I'm so sorry, that was a total brain fart :oops:

gparted is misleading you, you probably don't have a /dev/md0p1 partition (yes, p1 means partition 1 inside your MD device).
check this :
$ ls -l /dev/md*
You should see /dev/md0, but not /dev/md0p1

## Reconfigure mdadm
$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure mdadm

## Check MD device status
$ sudo cat /proc/mdstat
$ sudo mdadm --detail /dev/md0

## Perform a filesystem check (this will take a long time)
$ sudo e2fsck -vf /dev/md0

## Mount your MD RAID0
$ sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/md0 /mnt/whatever
ccal

Postby DaddyX3 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:50 am

Ok, I did this last night. Thank you for the input. I did a:
Code: Select all
sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/md0 mnt/myname

It told me no such directory, and nothing showed up in nautilus. So I started browsing around in my file system and noticed that I had a folder named /media and inside were all my mounted drives, so genius that I am (lol) ... figured that I would do:
Code: Select all
sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/md0 /media

and shockingly enough I discovered that I had done a good job of erasing all my other drives right out of there because I forgot to mkdir /media/myname ! :oops: I'll try to remount them append them to /media/whatever again to see if they show back up later tonight, if you can save me from myself before then, I would not complain ;)
ps- I got a folder now in /media that is the size of my md0 (lists as 465GiB free space) but I still have no icon in nautilus? whats the deal with that?

DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby ccal » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:29 pm

DaddyX3 wrote:I discovered that I had done a good job of erasing all my other drives right out of there because I forgot to mkdir /media/myname ! :oops: I'll try to remount them append them to /media/whatever again to see if they show back up later tonight, if you can save me from myself before then, I would not complain ;)
ps- I got a folder now in /media that is the size of my md0 (lists as 465GiB free space) but I still have no icon in nautilus? whats the deal with that?

## Just unmount /dev/md0 & your other drives will be back ;)
$ sudo umount /dev/md0

Now,
## edit your file /etc/fstab
$ sudo nano -w /etc/fstab

## and add this line at the bottom of the file
/dev/md0 /media/myspace ext3 rw,noatime,user,noauto 0 0

## Create your mount point
$ sudo mkdir /media/myspace

Open nautilus and check everything is OK :)
ccal

Next

Return to General Discussion - Birthdays-Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here!