Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Emerald themes not in ~/.emerald

Help & support for Ultimate Edtion 3.0

Re: Emerald themes not in ~/.emerald

Postby dougal » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:44 pm

choc - on behalf of us all, thanks for pointing out the mishap. I too noticed the omission yesterday but, I don't have the savvy to correct it being a 'let's plug it in and see if it works' kind of guy.

Your offer will be much appreciated by the Development team, I'm sure. You asked for an offer to help, well actually that has already gone out, you must have missed it. Can't blame you, the forum is getting a bit untidy in parts.
All in all TheeMann does a bang up job. An oversight like we have found is not as disastrous as a bug and no real harm done because of it.
I can see there are one or two things still not quite right about this release like windows opening with their title-bar behind the top panel and the 'visual effects' tab is missing from System/Preferences/Appearance. Without this to allow Extra Effects I am getting a bit of jerkiness about moving things like windows around the screen. It isn't quite as smooth as 2.9 - yet!!
I'll have to have a look at this Jasper theme manager to see why it is taking over.
Oh well better sign off for now.
ImageImage

Serious Ultimate Edition user with little talent but, stacks of enthusiasm and willing to help anyone as much as I humbly can...
Main OS: Ultimate Edition 2.6 on all my machines (can't live without Emerald)
On probation OS: 3.5 64-bit
dougal
Site Admin

Operating System: Other O/S

Postby TheeMahn » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:55 am

Wow, where to begin. Emerald is a true handful. I wrote a script to rectify the situation during building process PLEASE DO NOT RUN THIS on a running o/s this is made for chroot:
Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash
sudo apt-get -y install libtool build-essential intltool libdecoration0-dev libglib2.0-dev libgtk2.0-dev libwnck-dev
#Install git and autoconf too if you don't have it
sudo apt-get install git autoconf
cd ~
git clone git://anongit.compiz.org/fusion/decorators/emerald
cd emerald
git checkout -b compiz++ origin/compiz++
./autogen.sh
make
make install
cd ~
rm -rf emerald

So time is not the issue, if I can automate a process then so be it. 2 fundamental issues exist here, and I am not going to get into a O/S building primer. There are other sections of this forum for that, many I have written that provide such information.

Issue #1: cd ~ goes to root owner folder. not the /etc/skel/

Which brings up issue 2 the skel I had to clean up by hand and is probably 90% responsibility for all the issues you may witness in Ultimate Edition 3.0. Remastersys played a hand here not by the dev of the product, but an admin. I should have stuck to my roots and knowledge. Little cookie crumbs remain when using that product, which is fine unless pertinent information, yes it carries that too. Do you think any Ultimate Edition would have had a plain black background for a wallpaper?

I have a fairly advanced understanding of how Linux file structure works and that product I consider in infancy, there is no replacement for doing things by hand. To be straight building the skel into a deb is bulletproof, why? Once you install the os let's say I made an error, yes I do make mistakes ;) Easily fixed none of the files in home are owned by any deb.

I leave with this note: I want to quit building O/S's & return to programming. I have something else on the burner more on that later when I am ready to publicly announce it. Remastersys I was hoping, but is not the answer unless in a totally controlled environment. My next build will be 100% built by me.

So much to do to change the world, so little time. I am, but just 1 man. TheeMahn, but none the less ;)
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby linuxfreack » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:05 am

Kudos TheeMahn good to se you back here one's e fan always e fan.
I'm having e ball with UE3.0 ok it's not so perfect as your previous releases so wath.
I have the impression that lot of things are changing in ubuntu distro's and it's difficult to rewrite everything when structural changes are implemented I understand how hard it is and take noting for granted.
There for thanks truly e Fan. <BREW>
linuxfreack
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Previous

Return to Ultimate Edition 3.0