Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Fastest way to backup/recover

Help & support for Ultimate Edtion 3.0

Re: Fastest way to backup/recover

Postby Admin-Amir » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:39 am

LinuxPusher.

when you point ppl to the wrong software to use on standalone machine it is mess!!!
BackInTime is software for user + root user to use.
you see you first need to get the point that server has Different file system!!!
The end user file system is not the same - so you made wrong step here.

BackInTime - can be configure to get all what you point it to save + hadden files.
After you reinstall the system and use the software (the image)
that will make your system copy to the one that you made.

I use the HOME snap shot to save all that I made on the machine.
Think about it for sec and you will understend why to point the user end to that kind of BackUp,
and not SERVER tools.
Admin-Amir

Postby rmcellig » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Admin-Amir wrote:rmcellig.

Here is how it works.
you can use the software to snap shot your home let's say right.
Now - you can format the system - then install the system (Freash install).
And you have made one snap shot that you call - xxxx.
then After you made the snap shot and you have copy the snap shot from the place tha you sent it to
To Flash Drive or what ever out of your machine.

So the just copy and past the snap shot and call the snap shot to Recover your Home.
Then you will get what ever was on at the time you made the snap shot / day / time / min...

I'm trying it out now. Looks pretty cool I have two USB drives that I would like to have synced. Should I use BIT or something else. Maybe I will start a new post on this topic. Thanks!!!
rmcellig
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby Admin-Amir » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:40 am

rmcellig.

there is no need to open new post for that.
I is very easy softwaere to use from the end user and from the root user.
you can configure thw software to make every day snap shot of your " home" ,
And after you made what ever you made on your machine - you can always go back to the day you want.
So there is no need to ba smart here - there is just to work with the right option for you on the Backup part.

The last and importend point will be the part of the Understending the software.
You see you need to know that when you make snap shot that will be with all that you have on that point of time!!!
for the good and for the ban on this point you need to think about that part very Cerfuly.
So if you have just U.E on the HDD = Fine = that is what you will have every snap shot.
Now if you have new system that you have install - then the snap shot will be change with on more system.
If you Backup your " home " 2 times in A week that is good cover of the canges in that part of time for the next snap.

to get the snap shot work for you you need to take snap shot at the end of your configuration of the system.
The First snap shot is very importend to go back in time to the Begining After the installation process + update.

ONE LAST THING.

it is very importend that you remember the root password that you give to your user+root passwords.
If not you can not open the snap shot back to recover your machine.!!! :idea:
Admin-Amir

Postby rmcellig » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:12 am

Ya it's actually pretty cool! I set it so that BIT will start over again when it reaches a level of 250GB. I like that you can set this level. Pretty cool!

Can I use BIT to sync my two USB drives? If so, that would save me having to use something like Grsync. I could do it all with BIT if that is possible.
rmcellig
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby Admin-Amir » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:14 am

rmcellig.

sure you can sync the snap to your Flash Drive.
Just point the save option to point it to the Flash Drive. ;)
Admin-Amir

Postby rmcellig » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:47 pm

Great! I will try it out. What I want is drive B to be exactly like Drive A. When I use Puppy Linux, I like using their Sound manager Retrovol. In Ultimate Edition I have to use alsamixer. Is there any way that you know of that I can install Retrovol in UE3?
rmcellig
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby chyzler » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:02 pm

Here's another Cool way to back-up your system. Use Remastersys to make a custom disk of your system. Also copy your home folder to another HDD. Then if you have any BOO BOOS you have a master copy of all the goodies you tweaked so patiently. Then transfer the home folder back to the copy. Most times I just leave it there and start over knowing I have my stuff saved. It's also a great way to show your friends how Geeky you are.
chyzler

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.8 64 BIT

Postby rmcellig » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:20 pm

So by using Remastersys, I can make a bootable copy of my system that I can bring over to my sister's house over the holidays, boot from it and show her how cool Linux is? If so, love it!!
rmcellig
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby chyzler » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:21 pm

Yes you can. Just make a copy of the system, not your home folder. It needs to fit on a dvd. You need to look for the Remastersys iso and burn it with k3b. Have fun.
chyzler

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.8 64 BIT

PreviousNext

Return to Ultimate Edition 3.0