Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

HP dv7 w/ Hybrid graphics help please...

Help & support for Ultimate Edtion 3.0

HP dv7 w/ Hybrid graphics help please...

Postby lunerceli » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:14 am

Ok, I have hybrid graphics that are an Intel HD 3000 + ATI Radeon 6490m GDDR5 1GB. I have been going crazy trying to get things to work like they should. I have tried many many many methods of getting the driver installed correctly. Every time I install from Additional Drivers and try to run CCC, it says that it can't find my ATI driver. When I run lspci -nn | grep VGA, it lists both graphics cards. Then when I run glxgears it comes up with segmentation default. Now, if I completely remove the flgrx drivers and all the ati stuff from synaptic and then re-install using the drivers from ATI's website, then upon reboot xserver goes crazy and it looks you are watching a scrambled tv station. I can see the mouse pointer just fine and when I hit enter and type in my password (which I can't see the log in stuff), the mouse changes over to the desktop mouse (the grey one that is default). I can reboot and go into recovery mode and then safe graphics and everything is fine. So has anyone else experienced this besides me on here??
lunerceli
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Re: HP dv7 w/ Hybrid graphics help please...

Postby pch.shot » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:22 am

Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby lunerceli » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:11 am

pch.shot wrote:Have you tried this yet:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/n ... =Main_Page

I was looking at that page, but I couldn't find anything on there that was of any help though. That sucks, but thank you anyway bro. I was actually gonna PM you and ask you about this, but decided to make a thread about it instead. Here's a question for you though. What if I upgraded Kernels to the 3.0 one that you had posted along with the ATI drivers as well.... do you think that might solve the issue??
lunerceli
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby pch.shot » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:16 am

Go to the database section and see if your pc lan driver is supported.
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby lunerceli » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:22 am

Well, there is nothing wrong with my lan driver. It works flawlessly. It is my ATI driver not working right. It keeps saying that my driver isn't installed.
lunerceli
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby lunerceli » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:50 am

Blackwolf wrote:https://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=14741#p14741

See if the guide helps

Ok, so here's the results from that one. I uninstalled the driver from additional drivers and purged all flgrx drivers from the system. I then went in and downloaded the driver from additional drivers and then proceed to install the package downloaded from ATI's site. When I start to install them (the latest being 11.12 which is supposed to resolve this issue) I get the error that an older flgrx driver is installed and it won't let me install it. Now if I get rid of everything and install the driver directly, xserver does not respond when I reboot and makes everything look like a scrambled tv screen. This is really frustrating. This is actually the first time I have delt with ATI on linux and I have never really been a fan of ATI on Windows. LOL
lunerceli
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby lunerceli » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:58 am

Well, I have followed that tut once again ... LOL. I was going to put a screen shot of my terminal when I run fglrxinfo and glxgears when the ATI driver from ATI is installed, but I can't get the image to show right when I put it up here. When I reboot my computer it still comes up all scrambly. I have to reboot into recovery mode.
I am just about ready to give up on this. Seems like no matter what I do, I can't seem to get this to work properly. I know that Ultimate Edition 3.0 says my card is an ATI 6470m (which is GDDR3), but my bios and Windows both say that it is an ATI 6490m (the GDDR5 version). Thanks for all your help though guys. I am going to try to find a way to get a screen shot of what it does when the driver is installed.
lunerceli
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby dougal » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:22 am

lunerceli - if you can do without your 'additional drivers' for the ATI card then do so. I have found over the years that the driver available isn't always up-to-date for the system.
As for your BIOS and Windows saying it is 6490 instead of 6470 doesn't really matter. this will most likely be a small difference in the way it handles something. In your case perhaps this small difference is what is causing you the problem.
Revert to doing with out the enhanced driver for now and see if you can enjoy the system the way it is. Hopefully ATI will have a driver out for the card in the near future that will allow proper integration with the system.
This brings me back to Mint, in my humble opinion, not being compatible with your system. I have always had graphics problems with Mint and have only now had a stable install on this old Sony Vaio with integrated graphics that I am using. The graphics seem smoother on it than on my slightly younger Dell Studio laptop with a dedicated ATI card and much faster processor and more RAM.
If I were you I would re-install the system to bring everything back to 'out of the box' condition and leave the graphics settings alone for a while to see how the ATI development goes. Unless you need the extra functionality of enhanced graphics then, it doesn't really matter.
If you want stability straightaway then dual boot with Ultimate Edition 2.9 and just play with 3.0 till you are happy.
I hope I have helped to ally your fears that Ultimate Edition may have gone off the rails.
Have a nice day...
ImageImage

Serious Ultimate Edition user with little talent but, stacks of enthusiasm and willing to help anyone as much as I humbly can...
Main OS: Ultimate Edition 2.6 on all my machines (can't live without Emerald)
On probation OS: 3.5 64-bit
dougal
Site Admin

Operating System: Other O/S

Postby lunerceli » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:41 pm

dougal wrote:lunerceli - if you can do without your 'additional drivers' for the ATI card then do so. I have found over the years that the driver available isn't always up-to-date for the system.
As for your BIOS and Windows saying it is 6490 instead of 6470 doesn't really matter. this will most likely be a small difference in the way it handles something. In your case perhaps this small difference is what is causing you the problem.
Revert to doing with out the enhanced driver for now and see if you can enjoy the system the way it is. Hopefully ATI will have a driver out for the card in the near future that will allow proper integration with the system.
This brings me back to Mint, in my humble opinion, not being compatible with your system. I have always had graphics problems with Mint and have only now had a stable install on this old Sony Vaio with integrated graphics that I am using. The graphics seem smoother on it than on my slightly younger Dell Studio laptop with a dedicated ATI card and much faster processor and more RAM.
If I were you I would re-install the system to bring everything back to 'out of the box' condition and leave the graphics settings alone for a while to see how the ATI development goes. Unless you need the extra functionality of enhanced graphics then, it doesn't really matter.
If you want stability straightaway then dual boot with Ultimate Edition 2.9 and just play with 3.0 till you are happy.
I hope I have helped to ally your fears that Ultimate Edition may have gone off the rails.
Have a nice day...

That's exactly what I was thinking too. LOL. I have gotten the system back to 'out of the box' state by putting things back in order. I really hate having to reinstall systems. LOL. As far as my fears of Ultimate Edition going off the rails, I would never think that one. I don't lose trust in a system that as worked for so long, rather I lose faith in the companies that create drivers for the systems and are supposed to make their hardware compatible with everything. But, as we may very well know, more and more companies are main stream these days and really don't like to support things like Linux anymore. It is really a crying shame to!! As far as my graphics go though, I have even tried installing the driver on Ubuntu 11.10, which from everything I read it is completely compatible, but yet I ran into the same problems.

As far as the difference between the 6470m and my 6490m is the fact that the 6470 is GDDR3 memory and my 6490 is GDDR5 memory. I have read a couple of posts saying that Linux doesn't support GDDR5 yet but they are working on it. But thank all of you guys for helping me in this complicated situation.
lunerceli
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Return to Ultimate Edition 3.0