Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Grub2 help needed! -Dual boot-SOLVED

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.9

Grub2 help needed! -Dual boot-SOLVED

Postby drewstew » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:58 am

This will take a bit of patience, so you might wish to stop reading now! I am dual-booting Windows 7 with Ultimate Edition 2.9 64-bit. I have a single SATA hd - windows system files on sda1, and Ultimate Edition root on sda3.
This all started from upgrading the kernel! I was left critically short of space on my Root drive, so decided to enlarge the partition by taking some Gb's from my Windows installation, using GParted. Went without incident I thought until I rebooted, and came up against a "grubrescue>" prompt. After wrestling fruitlessly to reinstall Grub2 from the LiveCD following to the letter the Ubuntu directions here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Reinstalling from LiveCD decided my only option was to reinstall Ultimate Edition after restoring the mbr on the Windows partition. Did that, installing the bootloader on "sda"(the installation would have defaulted on sda1, which I didn't think was correct).
Result was able to boot Ultimate Edition, but no sign of Windows on the boot menu. Found a little tip about the bootloader creating a "boot" file in Windows beside the "Boot" file. Got rid of the "boot" file, updated Grub, and it found Windows. I was able to boot into both systems.
This morning, had to boot into Windows, and just went round in circles, returning to the Boot screen, so booted into Ultimate Edition and reinstalled Grub, with "no error reported". then update-grub, which reported Windows- screen shot is attached.
Re-booted and it's gone from bad to worse. Now only get a "grub>" prompt.
Time for Supergrub2! It recognises both installations. If I choose Ultimate Edition, after about 10 minutes I'm into the system. If I choose Windows, I get the Grub2 bootloader screen and can boot quickly into Ultimate Edition from there, and not at all into Windows. I've attached a screenshot of my partitioning, and the Terminal after (yet another) grub-install and grub-update (and I haven't missed the bit about re-booting between grub-install and grub-update, merely did this for demonstration purposes. Also attached my grub-cfg file.
If anyone could spare the time to sort out this mess for me and give me a step-by-step instruction on restoring my dual-boot, why, I might even ask you to marry me! (except wife and children will object). How I long for Grub1 -so easy by comparison.
grubconfig.odt
(19.71 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
[attachment=1]PartitionAndTerminal.png[/attachme
nt]
Attachments
PartitionAndTerminal.png
Last edited by drewstew on Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Modded Acer Aspire box now with Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 motherboard; AMD FX-6100 6-core CPU; 16gb RAM; 1Tb Seagate SATA HDD; Ultimate Edition 3.5 64bit. Dual booting with Windows7 64bit.
drewstew
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: Grub2 help needed! -Dual boot

Postby pclinuxguru » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:51 pm

On my way out the door on business,

This is a simple fix, Ill be back shortly.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Re: Grub2 help needed! -Dual boot

Postby pclinuxguru » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:41 pm

FYI

Done right, resize it in windows after windows was defraged by something like perfect disk THEN resize linux.

Window suffers fragmentation like NO OTHER quite literally.

Linux does not suffer from ANY of the many short comings windows does.

You just wiped out a great deal of data on the windows end and corrupted the partition table doing that.

Fix done right- Start over, it will never work right even if you did rebuild grub.

Also note grub always defaults to sda .

Sorry man, I read it in haste as I was headed out the door. Ended up being worse then I thought once I read it threw.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Re: Grub2 help needed! -Dual boot-SOLVED

Postby drewstew » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:57 am

Guru - You confirmed my worst fears, so I bit the bullet and re-installed, being very very careful with my settings, Restored the mbr to my Windows installation before I started(which is intact, thankfully), and loaded the bootloader to sda.
On rebooting after install, went straight into Ultimate Edition - no bootloader screen (which is where all my problems began the last time), and Windows not found on a "sudo grub-update". So, remembering the tip from the last time (how could I forget), mounted my Windows installation folder, and there was the rogue "boot" folder sitting beside the Windows "Boot" folder. Deleted folder "boot", ran grub-update again - Windows found!
Re-booted, bootloader screen appeared, and have successfully booted into both systems now.
Will mark this "SOLVED", but am doing a post in the "How to's...." for others who may experience this problem. Never had this type of problem with Grub Legacy!
Modded Acer Aspire box now with Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 motherboard; AMD FX-6100 6-core CPU; 16gb RAM; 1Tb Seagate SATA HDD; Ultimate Edition 3.5 64bit. Dual booting with Windows7 64bit.
drewstew
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.9