Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Desktop Icons (SOLVED)

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.8

Desktop Icons (SOLVED)

Postby dodge ram » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:25 am

I am trying to put some icons on the desktop. In Configuration Editor all boxes are checked and still no icons appear. In Ubuntu Tweak in the Desktop Icon Settings all boxes are checked. Anyone know what is going on? Also, how do you get Firefox icon on the Desktop? Thanks.
dodge ram
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Re: Desktop Icons

Postby pclinuxguru » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:42 am

When in the applications section of the gnome custom menu, right click what app you want and select ether add to panel or add to desktop.

If your home folder was encrypted at setup. It will need unlocked for changes to take effect.

But, I highly recommend a dock or use of the panels to keeping things organized and fast.

Docky or Cairo dock are two of the best docks out there. Linux is meant to be fast and highly sexy. Best to keep it as such.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby dodge ram » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:00 am

I don't understand what you mean. I am new to this and trying to learn.
dodge ram
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby pclinuxguru » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:03 am

dodge ram wrote:I don't understand what you mean. I am new to this and trying to learn.

Perhaps you need to cover what parts you don't under stand . So we can better help you.

Be specific and detailed please.
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby dodge ram » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:23 am

Let me start over. What I would like to do is put my system Icons on the desktop. What I have tried is Applications/System Tools/Ubuntu Tweak/Desktop Icon Settings. All boxes are checked. There is no Icons on the desktop. I have also went to Applications/System Tools/Configuration Editor/apps/nautilus/desktop. All boxes are checked. That is what I have tried so far with no results.
dodge ram
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby JOHNNYG » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:43 am

Hmmm!? Try pulling down say, Applications menu/ Internet, right click Firefox and "add Launcher to desktop" and see if the F/F icon shows on your desktop ! You can also "Add Launcher to Panel" which places the icon in your top panel, This uncluttere's your desktop ! and makes room for other clutter !!! :lol: as far as your system icons lets see if this works, and go from there ! :ugeek:
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot-1.png
JOHNNYG
Ultimate Eddiction<
Ultimate Edition STUDIO
Ultimate-E
Onyx 64
Pentium 4 processor
2x512 Kingston DDR memory
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig
Maxtor Maxline 80 gig, Split for testing only !
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig, Storage
Booting 8 OS's, No MS !
ATI 9600 series (RV350 AQ)graphics card
Sony DVD/CD Rewritable Drive DOUBLE LAYER DRU-820A/Sony DRU-800A CD DVD±RW Dual DVD Recorder
Team Leader at
http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/
JOHNNYG
Site Admin

Postby dodge ram » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:23 pm

That didn't work either. When I last shut down the computer, I had a warning box saying that the file manager was still running. Could that have anything to do with it. Also when I do boot up spinning world for my mouse cursor keeps going for awhile after the system is booted.
dodge ram
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby JOHNNYG » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:25 pm

:? Hmm ! I have not run in to that issue ! and I don't know how to begin to figure it out ! Maybe someone else has a clue and will chime in! But when I have an issue that I cant find a Quick answer to, I backup my home folder and reinstall ! But That's Me ! ;) Might be something is running that is not supposed to be, Or something did not install right ! Did this happen from the beginning of the install ? do you have any issues with opening any app's ? or installing anything via synaptic ? Just poking around ! :geek:
JOHNNYG
Ultimate Eddiction<
Ultimate Edition STUDIO
Ultimate-E
Onyx 64
Pentium 4 processor
2x512 Kingston DDR memory
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig
Maxtor Maxline 80 gig, Split for testing only !
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig, Storage
Booting 8 OS's, No MS !
ATI 9600 series (RV350 AQ)graphics card
Sony DVD/CD Rewritable Drive DOUBLE LAYER DRU-820A/Sony DRU-800A CD DVD±RW Dual DVD Recorder
Team Leader at
http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/
JOHNNYG
Site Admin

Postby pclinuxguru » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:43 am

ya, so easy to add icons to desktop and panel.

Suspect something odd is up as well.

If it was me, reinstall and watch what you install.

There anything you installed additional ?

Seldom use Ubuntu tweak for more then light tweaking. From what you said, you have enabled a lot of ubuntu tweak.

Might start there if it was me.
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby dodge ram » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:26 am

I re-installed Ubuntu and I was able to put the icons on the desktop. Firefox don't want to go on the desktop but that's no big deal. Thanks all.
dodge ram
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.8