Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Saving changes to USB install

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.8

Saving changes to USB install

Postby Aardaerimus » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:22 pm

I created a Ultimate Edition 2.8 USB bootable on a 64GB Corsair Flash Voyager, and it works beautifully.

Problem is that Ultimate Edition isn't actually "installed" to the device, so when it boots up, I'm left with the install option on the desktop and any updates or changes to the environment from the previous session are lost.

This is kind of a drag because if I want to boot over a Windows box and scan it for viruses I have to re-download the ClamTK definitions every time. And of course, my themes are lost as well.

Is there a way to extend my USB install from a mere boot disk to an actual "growing" install?

- Aardaerimus
Aardaerimus
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: Saving changes to USB install

Postby pclinuxguru » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:19 pm

Burn to disk then install to the USB drive.

Or

use 2 USB drives so you can install to the other.

Or

split the USB drive into two partitions, custom select the partitions on install

2 GB to 3 GB swap and the rest to / root. (requires 16 GB or larger flash drive for this option)

set 5 GB aside for the live version and the rest to the install.

Update grub so grub will config right.

OR

set up the live version with persistence on , this will allow changes to live version to be saved.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-ubuntu-804-persistent-install-tutorial/

Take your pick.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby Aardaerimus » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:28 pm

Thank you! I really appreciate the quick response.

I'll definitely have to give this a try.

I hadn't taken into consideration the need to re-partition my drive. I have a pile of other files on there I'm reluctant to relocate, but I think it will be worth it in the end.

Since it's a big stick there should be no reason why I couldn't just have three partitions, and set one as FAT for Windows files?
Aardaerimus
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby pclinuxguru » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:31 pm

Aardaerimus wrote:Thank you! I really appreciate the quick response.

I'll definitely have to give this a try.

I hadn't taken into consideration the need to re-partition my drive. I have a pile of other files on there I'm reluctant to relocate, but I think it will be worth it in the end.

Since it's a big stick there should be no reason why I couldn't just have three partitions, and set one as FAT for Windows files?

Fat or NTFS for windows shared.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.8