Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

update system or not

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.8

update system or not

Postby 81golfcaddy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:33 pm

I am no guru on liux by far but i love it. my question about update is
if your system is performing great should you choose all updates that come available. the reason i ask this I have updated before and certain programs would be affected. like Firefox for example. it was performing blazing fast on this system. I did a system update and Firefox was so slow loading pages. after a long period of time searching I found what to change in Firefox settings to get my speed back. not at all related to this post but Brasero has not worked on any debian based system ever. even on different computers. it has given the same error on all machines. cd-R not enough free space. this is before I try to add any files.
81golfcaddy
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: update system or not

Postby JOHNNYG » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:15 pm

Updates are relatively safe and are meant to give you the newest options and such, see if the upgrade wants to "remove" any of your Ultimate Edition installed applications than abort the upgrades and post a screenshot if you would ! if it does not have any "Removal of Ultimate Edition stuff then I would continue with the upgrades ! :ugeek: I have had no issue updating at this point !
JOHNNYG
Ultimate Eddiction<
Ultimate Edition STUDIO
Ultimate-E
Onyx 64
Pentium 4 processor
2x512 Kingston DDR memory
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig
Maxtor Maxline 80 gig, Split for testing only !
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig, Storage
Booting 8 OS's, No MS !
ATI 9600 series (RV350 AQ)graphics card
Sony DVD/CD Rewritable Drive DOUBLE LAYER DRU-820A/Sony DRU-800A CD DVD±RW Dual DVD Recorder
Team Leader at
http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/
JOHNNYG
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby 81golfcaddy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:58 pm

thank you for the info. still lovin it.
81golfcaddy
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby billhedrick » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:21 pm

HOWEVER!!! If you are running 2.6 or 2.7 (Ubuntu 10.04) and Synaptic gives you the option to upgrade to 10.10, don't do it! The upgrade tends to upgrade away the Ultimate Edition tweaks and additions.
billhedrick
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby pclinuxguru » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:29 am

I install all back ports and unsupported updates and select all sources and never have a problem.

Unlike windows, linux updates actually fix things lol. Windows updates seem to break more then they fix.

Like the guys said, upgrading from older version to 10.10 or even 11.4 removes Ultimate edition.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby 81golfcaddy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:36 am

(10/4) I am using 2.8 lite now. my pc is about 12 years old and it has never been this fast. not even close. the only additions I have added is K3B Rhythmbox and open office
81golfcaddy
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby rcarlisle » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:20 pm

Contrary to Gúrú Linux ríomhaire's statement, I have had some bad experiences with updates (though most are very smooth and cause no issues). So I prefer to be a little more cautious with updates.
Although my rig is mostly for gaming, I rely on it for some work , programming and managing my home network. I always check the updates and see what's available to be updated before deciding to actually install them. Occasionally, I am paranoid and perform a system clone with ddrescue to another drive before proceeding (I am a support technician and have tons of hard drives I can use for this). Particularly if my system is really running well at the time I decide to install updates.
- If kernel updates are listed, be aware that some drivers may need to be updated as well. A good example is the proprietary NVIDIA drivers, which I prefer to the ones supplied by synaptic.
- Some security updates alter configuration files and may break things like VNC (also something I rely on heavily).
- If there is no compelling reason to update (ie. everything is running fine and the updates do not offer fixes for specific issues I am having with the current configuration), wait. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
So be aware. My general rule of thumb is this: If I don't have time to deal with problems caused by updates, I wait until I do. Most of time things are fine. But occasionally there are unexpected results that need to be fixed. Every one's experience is different, but I would be lying if I said there is no reason to be concerned.
System 1
Ultimate Edition 3.0 x86_64
Intel Core2Quad Q6600 * Gigabyte EP43-UD3L logic board * 6GB RAM
3 WiebeTech RTX-100H-INT trayless drive bays

System 2
Ultimate Edition 3.3 x86_64
AMD FX-8120 Eight-Core Processor * GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 * 16GB DDR3
3 WiebeTech RTX-100H-INT trayless drive bays
rcarlisle
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.9 64 BIT

Postby pclinuxguru » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:22 am

I do remember having a ATI graphics issue with Ultimate Edition 2.7 on updates once. But other then that, I have had no update problems with 10.10.

Updated to kernel 2.6.35.25 today , that turned out supper well.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby Hawks-SOAD » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:37 am

i always update mine and never have any problems what so ever , but im one of those people that like bleeding edge installs haha. but it is always good to see what is getting updated so if you have any issues you know what caused it :D
My Rig
Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P
QuadCore AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 965, 3400 MHz
His Ati Radeon 5770 (one more to go)
4gb of Kingston 9905403-011.A03LF ddr 3 ram
Realtek ALC885/889A/890 Hd Audio
Esata
Realtek RTL8168C/8111C PCI-E
250gb samsung sata 2.0 HDD
1 TB Seagate HDD

"walk softly and carry a big gun"
"life is only as hard as you make it to be"
"Ultimate Edition 2.8 is Ubuntu on steroids; lots and lots of steroids. You pretty much get it all with this badboy of a distro"
Currently dual booting :D Ultimate Edition and Windoze 7

Hawks-SOAD

Operating System: Other Linux

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.8