Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

How to remove information from GRUB

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.8

How to remove information from GRUB

Postby ADPdirty » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:43 am

I am trying to figure out how to remove some of the files from /boot (where grub was installed) so that it wont show me that many OS's to chose from.
For 1 i want to remove any trace of windows and 2 duplicated Ubuntu's that were left over because i did not chose to format my HDD prior installation last time.
The attached image shows the list of all OS's that i have to chose from when booting up. I could reduce the loading time but what i really want is to make it boot to 1 instead of giving me a chose. (boot to default OS)

Thank you guys for any helpful info i might get.
Bootloader.jpg
Firefox+Adblock+MyWot makes Windows 7 obsolete "OS"
ADPdirty
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.0

Re: How to remove information from GRUB

Postby ethos » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:03 am

could check this out http://chameleon.osx86.hu/file_download/39/Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin.tar.gz&that might work for you there is always easy bcd and acronis boot loader of course. i like LILO, if you ever used VL or pclos both distros have used lilo and there are a ton of man pages for it . Everything is grub lately but grub 2 will do you better for graphics and customization. if all you want is one line or just an automatic boot easy bcd or acronis boot loader will be easiest for you to implement
Intel® Xeon® Processor E5530 (2.40 GHz, 8MB L3 Cache, 80 Watts, DDR3-1066, HT Turbo 1/1/2/2)quad core
6GB (3 x 2GB) PC3-10600R (DDR3-1333)
HP Smart Array P410i/Zero Memory Controller (RAID 0/1/1+0)
2x 146GB 6G 15k rpm, SFF SAS 2.5 Raid 0
nVidia GeForce GT218 1GB GDDR3 PCI-E
ethos
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby JOHNNYG » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:57 am

Ubuntu Tweak and Ailurus have clean options to clean old Kernels and more!
Also try this boot into your newest kernel and run these commands from terminal!

Code: Select all
wget Http://www.opendesktop.org/CONTENT/content-files/71529-ubucleaner.sh

sudo chmod +x 71529-ubucleaner.sh

sudo ./71529-ubucleaner.sh

:ugeek:
JOHNNYG
Ultimate Eddiction<
Ultimate Edition STUDIO
Ultimate-E
Onyx 64
Pentium 4 processor
2x512 Kingston DDR memory
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig
Maxtor Maxline 80 gig, Split for testing only !
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig, Storage
Booting 8 OS's, No MS !
ATI 9600 series (RV350 AQ)graphics card
Sony DVD/CD Rewritable Drive DOUBLE LAYER DRU-820A/Sony DRU-800A CD DVD±RW Dual DVD Recorder
Team Leader at
http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/
JOHNNYG
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby ADPdirty » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:22 am

still have 7 OS's on the list when booting up
I have 64bit version maybe code needs change ?
Firefox+Adblock+MyWot makes Windows 7 obsolete "OS"
ADPdirty
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby dougal » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:41 pm

If it was me I would load gParted and delete/format the partitions with the operating systems you don't want and run sudo update-grub. I haven't tried this myself but, my understanding of 'update-grub' is that it looks for operating systems and if it doesn't find them it won't show them.
What do you have to lose? It is simple and quick to try.
ImageImage

Serious Ultimate Edition user with little talent but, stacks of enthusiasm and willing to help anyone as much as I humbly can...
Main OS: Ultimate Edition 2.6 on all my machines (can't live without Emerald)
On probation OS: 3.5 64-bit
dougal
Site Admin

Operating System: Other O/S

Postby onosendai58 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:04 am

Use Gparted to delete/format partitions. Use Ubuntu Tweak to remove all other kernels. Open terminal, run "sudo update-grub." Problem solved. And no, it ISN`T "the code." Close this thread if solved.
Last edited by onosendai58 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I love Ultimate Edition & Oz Unity
onosendai58
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby Time » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:33 pm

ADPdirty wrote:I am trying to figure out how to remove some of the files from /boot (where grub was installed) so that it wont show me that many OS's to chose from.
For 1 i want to remove any trace of windows and 2 duplicated Ubuntu's that were left over because i did not chose to format my HDD prior installation last time.
The attached image shows the list of all OS's that i have to chose from when booting up. I could reduce the loading time but what i really want is to make it boot to 1 instead of giving me a chose. (boot to default OS)

Thank you guys for any helpful info i might get.
Bootloader.jpg

You could go to startup-manager and with this you can set the boot timer to 0 and set the default OS. This way you don't see grub

hope this helps
ASUS Crosshair IV Formula Motherboard
AMD fx 8120
Ati 7970 video card
2 90 gig ocz ssd raid 0 (Windows 7)
Western Digital SATA3 3 tb
Corsair f115 sata 2 ssd (for Ultimate edition)
16 GiGs DDR3
Time

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.8