Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Install under windows not available

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.7

Re: Install under windows not available

Postby mirchichamu » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:59 am

tittiger wrote:It seems I am not running out of questions!

I decided to put my data, windows, and Ubuntu on separate partitions. Problem is that the windows partition after moving some data off of it will not shrink any more even though it has 200 GB of empty space. I turned off restore points and put the paging file on my data partition as the help file said that could be the problem. The only other thing that the help file said might be an issue is too many bad sectors. Any ideas on how to further shrink the windows partition?

If not I might put everything back on the windows partition and run Ubuntu from there.

TIA

Joe

You run defragmentation tool several times and see. Further you check your disk for errors. Right click on C drive and click properties>>>check disk for errors>>>tick mark auto repair errors and restart windows...then it will start disk check.
mirchichamu
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby razy60 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:53 am

If you are going to dual boot you really should have left windows as it was then started the install with the Ultimate Edition Disc as that then would have given the option to correctly shrink windows down to the minimum size you required. The problem you now face is as to whether the install disc will correctly recognise your partitions to enable you to fully install in the partition you created.
I still feel that you should have tried Virtual Box as that would have given you all the options that you initially required.

Raz
O/S; U.E 2.6 64 bit, OSX, xp pro, Windows 7 64 bit
Mobo: Asus P6t
cpu, Intel i7 920
ram, 4Gb DDR3 G Skill 1600 ripjaw
lan, realtek rtl8211b
sound, realtek 1200 hd + ati Hd audio
gpu, Asus EAH 5870 1Gb
HDD, OCZ Vertex 2 60GB ssd(OS) 2 x 250 GB(in raid0 for progs) 2x 1TB samsung (storage)
Wireless keyboard Logitek wave
Mouse: Microsoft X8 sidewinder
Display: sharp 42" lcd 1080p tv via hdmi
Laptop:
Dell studio 1557 7 pro x64& Ultimate Edition 2.7 32bit
i7 720 multi core cpu
4GB 1333mhz ram
INtel 5300 agn 802.11n wifi adaptor
Ati radeon HD 4570 512mb gpu
320GB 7200 HDD
1920x1080 screen
1x low opinion of this laptop
razy60
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby tittiger » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:16 pm

I also moved the indexing file, but could not find/stop the indexing service. MS mentions the fsutil tool but does not provide enough syntax or directions for me to use it effectively. Could not find the command you mentioned though I have used defrag and chkdsk.

I never remember having these problems with partition magic. Seems like MicroCrap can mess anything up.

--Joe
Last edited by tittiger on Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Retired Geek and then Ubuntu happened~
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy” Ben Franklin
tittiger
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby mirchichamu » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:11 pm

tittiger wrote:I also moved the indexing file, but could not stop the indexing service. MS mentions the fsutil tool but does not provide enough syntax or directions for me to use it effectively. Could not find the command you mentioned though I have used defrag and chkdsk

--Joe

The other possibility is that when you load the live DVD, then you can find GParted under system>>>administration. GParted can do the job. BTW ! did you write the image to DVD?
mirchichamu
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby tittiger » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:52 pm

GOOD NEWS! amid some of the frustrations.....

I booted from the live 64 bit V2.7 and the Wifi drivers actually work!!!!

I have never been able to connect a laptop via WiFi using any distro of Linux. Something to be said of copying Micro-Craps habit of including all the drivers in the world.

I have much work to do but Ultimate has finally removed the 3rd rail, death kiss in my case and that was no WiFi connectivity.

Thanks I will still have a lot of questions but I am elated at todays progress.

--Joe
tittiger
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby ixnod » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:35 pm

.... And we have answers
Laptop. Macbook pro dual boot U.E 2.6 64 2.8 Ghz core2duo
Desktop:
Core I7 820, ATI 5870 radeon HD graphics Ultimate Edition 2.7
maxtor 320 gig external usb
1.5 Tb external Hd
Hp c5100 photosmart printer (networked and wireless)
ixnod
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby tittiger » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:51 pm

You guys are awesome. It has been a long time coming but I am going to ditch Micro-Crap a little at a time.
I am impressed with Ultimate Edition and frustrated with the learning curve at the same time.

If the Linux community can do what Apple did to simplify the GUI for a Linux kernel - Billy Gates the globalist/eugenicist/NSA_stooge will have some real problems!

I found this promising link on how to shrink my Windoze partition:

http://www.thpc.info/how/shrink_partiti ... vista.html

The only problem is that it will run me $39.... well therz always torrents :twisted:

Opps I see they have a free 30 days trial! Kewl
tittiger
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby tittiger » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:32 pm

I had given up and was going to use Gparted out of desperation. Tried Gparted on the live DVD and it failed also to resize the windows from hell partition. IS it any wonder people hate these machines?

It's been about 5 days straight to try and resize a partition first trying Windoze tools - givving up on them only to have th Linux tools fail.....

Most to come in this saga...
tittiger
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby Admin-Amir » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:47 pm

Hello tittiger .

yes there is very good tool go get it done - use parted magic.
download the ISO from there site and burn it on Disc.
Then change your boot to boot from CD/DVD and let the system to boot up to Desktop.
The tray will pop up at the end of the process, do not get the Disc out from the tray just close it back.
The go to the partition manager on the Desktop and Resize your partition and format it to UN allocated,
and on the end of the process apply all changes that you have made,wait for the end of the process and Restart the machine.
then get the parted magic out of the tray and insert the Linux Disc and change the bios to boot from your CD/DVD.
Admin-Amir

Postby JOHNNYG » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:54 pm

Admin-Amir wrote:Hello tittiger .

yes there is very good tool go get it done - use parted magic.
download the ISO from there site and burn it on Disc.
Then change your boot to boot from CD/DVD and let the system to boot up to Desktop.
The tray will pop up at the end of the process, do not get the Disc out from the tray just close it back.
The go to the partition manager on the Desktop and Resize your partition and format it to UN allocated,
and on the end of the process apply all changes that you have made,wait for the end of the process and Restart the machine.
then get the parted magic out of the tray and insert the Linux Disc and change the bios to boot from your CD/DVD.

Yes this is a very powerful tool ! and should do the trick! Welcome back Admin-Amir! <BREW> Long time no see my friend! ;) It is always good to get the best advice from one of the best!! :D
JOHNNYG
Ultimate Eddiction<
Ultimate Edition STUDIO
Ultimate-E
Onyx 64
Pentium 4 processor
2x512 Kingston DDR memory
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig
Maxtor Maxline 80 gig, Split for testing only !
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig, Storage
Booting 8 OS's, No MS !
ATI 9600 series (RV350 AQ)graphics card
Sony DVD/CD Rewritable Drive DOUBLE LAYER DRU-820A/Sony DRU-800A CD DVD±RW Dual DVD Recorder
Team Leader at
http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/
JOHNNYG
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.7