Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Is Ultimate Edition compatible with i3 or i5 processors?

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.7

Is Ultimate Edition compatible with i3 or i5 processors?

Postby mirchichamu » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:32 pm

I am planning to buy a laptop with i3 or i5 processor. I would like to ask whether I will be able to install ultimate edition? Right now I don't know whether it will be having onboard memory or any video card.

I shall be thankful if you help me in this regard.
Last edited by mirchichamu on Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mirchichamu
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Re: Is Ultimate Edition compatible with i3 or i5 processors?

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:17 pm

mirchichamu wrote:I am planning to buy a laptop with i3 or i5 processor. I would like to ask whether I will be able to install ultimate edition? Right now I don't know whether it will be having onboard memory or any video card.

I shall be thankful if you help me in this regard.

There's no reason for it to NOT be compatible with either an i3 or i5 processor. The processor is not a problem. I'm sure I would have seen something about it if it were.
;)
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby ixnod » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:25 pm

mirchichamu I have this puppy spinning around in an I7 2.8GHZ and I ust say, that yes I am confident it will work on the lappy.

What type of graphics chip are you looking at?
Laptop. Macbook pro dual boot U.E 2.6 64 2.8 Ghz core2duo
Desktop:
Core I7 820, ATI 5870 radeon HD graphics Ultimate Edition 2.7
maxtor 320 gig external usb
1.5 Tb external Hd
Hp c5100 photosmart printer (networked and wireless)
ixnod
Site Admin

Postby Moebius » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:39 pm

mirchichamu,
I have tested Ultimate Edition on i3, i5 and i7 based systems - no issues with the processors at all.

Cheers.
GNOME 3.2.1
Oz Unity Developement (32) Kernel 15
Moebius Custom Gothic
Intel DG33FB Mainboard
Intel Core2Duo E8400
Amicroe 2 x 1Gb DDR2
WD 250Gb Sata II WD2500AAKS (O/S)
WD 500Gb Sata II WD5000AAKS (Data)
LG Super Multi DVDRW
GeForce 8600GT PCI-E 16x 512Mb 540 MHz

Ultimate Edition Australia___Ultimate Edition Israel____Ultimate Facebook
Moebius
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby mirchichamu » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:30 pm

Thanks a lot my friends 2hot6ft2, ixnod and moebius for your replies...now I can confidently buy an i3 or i5 laptop. I asked this question because I saw a thread in Ubuntu forum that some people have problem with these processors specially when they have on board memory.
mirchichamu
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:09 am

mirchichamu wrote:Thanks a lot my friends 2hot6ft2, ixnod and moebius for your replies...now I can confidently buy an i3 or i5 laptop. I asked this question because I saw a thread in Ubuntu forum that some people have problem with these processors specially when they have on board memory.

You're welcome,

I found the thread you were looking at and posted in. It's not the processor that is the problem, it seems to be the built in graphics that come on some models. Now that some manufacturers are going to a hybrid where the graphics chip is integrated as part of the CPU (note to self read more on that... :lol: ). Here is System 76 that was mentioned by IAmWhatWasDavidBowman.
http://www.system76.com/index.php?cPath=28
And I agree, getting one with ubuntu on it from the start might save you some headache, or at least give you some peace of mind knowing it will be working from the start. system76 has a good reputation.

If anyone wants to see the thread being referred to it's here
Is the i3, i5 or i7 intel processors supported by Ubunut
The thread was started in Jan. 2010 so I linked to where it would apply to Lucid. It's only 4 pages long, but it is interesting.
:geek:
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Postby mirchichamu » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:19 am

2hot6ft2 wrote:
mirchichamu wrote:Thanks a lot my friends 2hot6ft2, ixnod and moebius for your replies...now I can confidently buy an i3 or i5 laptop. I asked this question because I saw a thread in Ubuntu forum that some people have problem with these processors specially when they have on board memory.

You're welcome,

I found the thread you were looking at and posted in. It's not the processor that is the problem, it seems to be the built in graphics that come on some models. Now that some manufacturers are going to a hybrid where the graphics chip is integrated as part of the CPU (note to self read more on that... :lol: ). Here is System 76 that was mentioned by IAmWhatWasDavidBowman.
http://www.system76.com/index.php?cPath=28
And I agree, getting one with ubuntu on it from the start might save you some headache, or at least give you some peace of mind knowing it will be working from the start. system76 has a good reputation.

If anyone wants to see the thread being referred to it's here
Is the i3, i5 or i7 intel processors supported by Ubunut
The thread was started in Jan. 2010 so I linked to where it would apply to Lucid. It's only 4 pages long, but it is interesting.
:geek:

Wooooooooooooow! Thanks a million mate for replying my question on other forum. Exactly I quoted the same thread I saw there what you have quoted.
As far as system 76 is concerned, it is not available where I am. I want to buy a Dell or Toshiba with i3 or i5 BUT I don't know which one to select, with on board graphics or the one with nvidia or ati cards?
mirchichamu
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby Admin-Amir » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:42 am

Hello mirchichamu.

I will say go with ACER machine!
This is the best machine that I work with with all test/systems of the Ultimate Edition ;)
Admin-Amir

Postby mirchichamu » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:12 am

Admin-Amir wrote:Hello mirchichamu.

I will say go with ACER machine!
This is the best machine that I work with with all test/systems of the Ultimate Edition ;)

Thanks Admin-Amir.
You are right. I also like Acer. If I get a good specifications, then I will consider buying that.
mirchichamu
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby Admin-Amir » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:13 pm

Hello smart mirchichamu . ;)

OK - this is what I have for you to look for on the ACER machine,
Just to let you know that in Israel it cost = $1350.
Aspire 5740G
USB , Card Reader , HDMI
DVDRW
Intel Core i7
4096 MG RAM DDR3
HDD- 640 GB
802.11g , 802.11b
CPU-M620

Hope that help you with the ACER machine.
Admin-Amir

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.7