Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Boot error for USB install?????

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.7

Boot error for USB install?????

Postby zombieromero » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:51 pm

Basically what I want to do is install Ultimate Edition 2.7 on my laptop which currently runs windows 7. The dvd drive on the laptop doesnt read discs and so I wish to install ultimate edition 2.7 to my laptop from my USB stick. However have tried unetbootin, LinuxLive USB Creator 2.5 and Universal-USB-Installer-v1.7.2 and while i recieve no errors during the prepping an copying of files when i plug the USB drive into my laptop and choose to boot from it all i get is a black screen showing the words "Boot Error". There is nothing wrong with the USB drive and I have reformatted and defragged it and the laptop is perfectly fine except for the dvd drive.

Please help thank you guys!

Graeme.
zombieromero
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.0

Re: Boot error for USB install?????

Postby Admin-Amir » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:14 pm

Hello zombieromero & welcome to the U.E Forum.

did you point the installation to the MBR?
it looks like this is the issue on your installation,the Grub not cover the MS MBR.
The Grub has to be the (MBR) first sector on the BOOT Record.
Admin-Amir

Postby zombieromero » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:24 pm

heya, could you shed some more information on what you said please? as in how to go about it? im not a pc noob or anything but dont have much experience making bootable usb drives its never really been necessary for me lol
zombieromero
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Admin-Amir » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:34 pm

Hello zombieromero.

If you use the unetbootin from MS,then first you need to format your flash Drive!
Then, when you extract the ISO to the flash Drive make sure that you extract it to the flash Drive
And not to your HDD.

The option of the MBR ,
when you format the Drive you format is with MS file system.
Now when you will extract the U.E ISO then it will write the BOOT MBR and will make it Grub (Linux boot).
you can use TheeMahn post under How To about the unetbootin.
use the search under unetbootin and you will get the rest of the info for how to make it happens for you.
Admin-Amir

Postby zombieromero » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:43 pm

Excuse my ignorence lol but the only fixes suggested by TheeMahn to fix the MBR errors require you to use commands in linux:

Troubleshooting:

Some USB thumbdrives have problems with the MBR (Master Boot Record) being recognised... The Solution:

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install lilo

I cannot even get ultimate edition to boot from the USB drive and booting from a live disc is out of the question as the laptop's dvd drive is broken.

Also I have followed the unetbootin guide word for word twice this afternoon and both times the boot error occurred. How would one fix the MBR error from within windows as that is the OS im currently running?

Thanks!
zombieromero
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Admin-Amir » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:54 pm

zombieromero.

you have the unetbootin for MS right?
Then you can do the work from MS , After you have extract the ISO to the thumbdrives,
change the BOOT in your BIOS to start from the thumbdrives.
Now if your MS has flag on the BOOT you can just remove the flag from the BOOT.
now the Drive can start on BOOT.
BTW - it will work just fine with Grub - there is no need to install lilo (if you want to work with the Drive connected).
to solved the issue with the MBR After you Disconnect the thumbdrives - make
Code: Select all
fixmbr
Admin-Amir

Postby zombieromero » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:59 pm

hey sorry i wasnt clear my bios is set to boot from USB i installed windows 7 on the laptop that way. the usb drive is definately bootable and is set to boot from that first. the problem is when it reads the usb drive or when i manually select it during the boot up im am met with "boot Error" this is not due to the usb drive nor is it due to it not being booted from first from the bios.

also i am wanting to replace the windows 7 with Ultimate Edition 2.7 not dual boot or anything like that.
zombieromero
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Admin-Amir » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:13 pm

zombieromero.

Lets make some order in the things here.
1- you can boot into MS with no problem.
2- you can use the unetbootin for MS to do the job.
3- you have the ISO on the MS Drive.
4- the unetbootin see the ISO,and can be extracted to the flash Drive.

if all those are correct ? then you can extract the U.E to the flash Drive ,
then After you have extract the system to the Drive you can boot from the Drive with no errors.

one more thing,cant you make it from other machine just to extract the ISO to the flash Drive?
then you can come to your machine and boot from the Drive -Delete MS partitions and start the installation of the U.E on your HDD.

http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/unetbo ... stallmodes
Admin-Amir

Postby zombieromero » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:22 pm

I can do all those things but whenever i try yo boot from the usb it just says boot error. this is exactly what i have done:

1 - downloaded Ultimate Edition 2.7

2 - used unetbootin, selected the Ultimate Edition 2.7 iso and set the target drive as my pen drive. everything gets copied and completed within unetbootin with no erros at all. everything fine.

3. i take this pen drive put it in my laptop, make sure its set to boot from pen drive in bios.

4. it just says boot error every time.
zombieromero
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Admin-Amir » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:36 pm

zombieromero .

I have to ask you very important question at this point.

Can you reset your board?
And reset your Bios?

The way I see it is that the USB Address has taken and the Address make the issue here.
Because if you can boot into MS and it's just will not let you boot from the USB,
Then something block the USB from working with the board.
So if you have the knowledge to rest the BIOS+Board then this can help to solve the USB issue.
After the reset all your Hardware will get new Address and this should fix the boot issue for you.
Admin-Amir

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.7