Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Global questions on the Ultimate 2.7 please post here.

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.7

Re: Global questions on the Ultimate 2.7 please post here.

Postby Admin-Amir » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:18 pm

Hello newuean.

To install the U.E in Vbox Gnome you will need 360 m ram to run it OK.
To install the U.E in VBox you need to give the installation 20 GB.
Admin-Amir

New launcher at bottom of screen

Postby alanrlow » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:44 am

Just received and installed Ultimate 2.7 and I must say hats off gentlemen. This is superb. Faultless install, found everything. One little irk. What is the new launcher at the bottom of the screen? Don't think I like it. It keeps spinning up and getting in the way when I try to use the taskbar. Is there any way to remove/disable it?
Other than that little niggle, excellent distro.
Thanks,
Alan.
Acer TravelMate 6410
Intel(R) Core(TheeMahn)2 CPU
T5500 @ 1.66GHz
3gb RAM 500gb HDD
Ultimate Edition 3.5.1 Mate
alanrlow
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 32 BIT

Postby alanrlow » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:31 pm

mcarollo wrote:What is the best/easiest way to save settings (like firefox, mail, additional installed apps, etc.) before wiping my 2.5 install and going with 2.7? Are there certain files to save, and those not to? I would hate to have to attempt to recreate the whole install very time. Any suggestions?

In my opinion and from my experience having just done a complete upgrade, machine, hard drive and 64bit Ultimate Edition, the best way is to have your home on its own partition. That way when you upgrade etc you can install the new Linux on the root partition, tell it to format it, and tell it to use the other partition as HOME but NOT to format it. That way all your programs, settings are as you left them, untouched. I wish this was the default install, it would save a lot of problems.
Acer TravelMate 6410
Intel(R) Core(TheeMahn)2 CPU
T5500 @ 1.66GHz
3gb RAM 500gb HDD
Ultimate Edition 3.5.1 Mate
alanrlow
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 32 BIT

Postby sanmik » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:53 pm

Hello. The Ultimate Edition 2.7 installer tells me my 8GB Sony usb drive is too small to install on. What is the minimum size I need? thank you so much. Mike
freedom is not a sliding scale

Acer Travelmate 12"; Intel duo 2.27; 2GB RAM; 160GB HDD.
Asus eeepc 1000HE; Atom N280 1.66; 2GB RAM; 160GB HDD.
sanmik
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 32 BIT

Postby sanmik » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:41 pm

Blackwolf wrote:Welcome to the forum. :D

Strange you had that error-though 8 would be ok.....maybe try a 16 ?

Forgive me for not posting the fix here on the central forum but I have a tutorial on the sister site in Oz

Try that & I will duplicate my post in the How To section here & link back to it in the next few days.

Blackwolf - thanks so much for the welcome and your suggestions.

I don't have a 16 and your tutorial is just complex enough to strike a tad of doubt in this newb as to his skills.

The way I've been using virtualbox is to create a machine with a guest OS, mount a thumb drive formatted FAT32 within the machine, and use the OS's installer. This method has worked with a couple dozen or more distros both related to Ubuntu and not. This has also worked fine with three distros larger, by a gig or so, than Ultimate Edition, with both ubuntu 9.10 and windows XP as hosts and three brands of thumb drives.

The error message I've been getting on a vbox Ultimate Edition 2.7 in the installer's partitioning section is specific that I need to go back and create a root partition of at least 8.1GB before continuing or the installation will fail. (BTW, I chose the continue option once and sure enough, it failed at around 64%.) I go back and my drive can only be made 8036MB so no go.

OTOH, I have been successful installing UE2.7 on an 8 within vbox using "create startup usb" in the usual manner, and by using the Ultimate Edition Unetbootin. But unetbootin is live, when what I want is Ultimate Edition installed on a thumb drive as if the thumb was a HDD. The create startup usb is closer to what I want except for opening with a "press any key to continue" screen, then the language list minus countdown so must be entered manually, and next the Ubuntu menu list which also requires an enter. Awkward.

I'll get a 16 someday and would appreciate any further thoughts on this you may have had.

Thanks again. Ultimate Edition is quite the masterful distro, is it not.

Mike

sanmik
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Admin-Amir » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:43 am

Hello sanmik.

If you install the U.E on HDD ,
you need to give 20 Gig for the installation process+update/upgrade space.
about the "press any key to continue",it works like on the MS with the next,next process.
Just hit the Enter ,Enter insert name etc..
Unetbootin is very good software to use with ISO to extract it to the flash Drive,
it works Great and I did not have any kind of problems with it.
with all the systems that I have work with until Today it works just fine.
about the formatting the flash Drive install the packages from search in synaptic like :
ufiformat,gnome-format.
Admin-Amir

Postby sanmik » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:52 pm

thanks for your help. sorry it took so long to get back. fabulous os and forum. sanmik

sanmik
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Previous

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.7