Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Fast?

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.6

Fast?

Postby anthonye_02 » Mon May 03, 2010 3:14 am

Sorry, 2.6 is not lightning-fast.... Lucid has to be about the slowest Linux distro I have ever tried. Some figures: From login screen to usable desktop, Ultimate Edition 2.5 - 4 seconds. On 2.6 (also on Ubuntu 10.04) - 28 seconds. Click on any application in the menu and it is painfully slow to come up. Much as I like the look of 2.6, I shan't be installing it again.
anthonye_02
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Re: Fast?

Postby dathem » Mon May 03, 2010 11:40 pm

anthonye_02 wrote:Sorry, 2.6 is not lightning-fast.... Lucid has to be about the slowest Linux distro I have ever tried. Some figures: From login screen to usable desktop, Ultimate Edition 2.5 - 4 seconds. On 2.6 (also on Ubuntu 10.04) - 28 seconds. Click on any application in the menu and it is painfully slow to come up. Much as I like the look of 2.6, I shan't be installing it again.

Hello, I am sorry 2.6 is not fast on your computer, but you give no clues as to how you installed it, on what computer setup you used, etc, etc. There are many reasons I can think of that might give a bad install. You may have a bad download, bad burn, optical disk drive problems, to small of a partition selected on the hard drive, memory issues, graphics card issues, what graphic card do you have, not all versions of Ultimate Edition or UBUNTU work the same on all graphics cards. I could do searches on this forum and type a book on installation issues, please help us by giving us more info about your system so we can help you get it running as fast as possible with your system.
1)HPE-500F a 6 core @ 2.70 Ghz, with 8 gigs of Ram and a 1.5 T HD
the graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 6450 with 512 MB DDR3 Ultimate Edition 3.2, Windows 7
2) HP Pav Elite m9040n Core2 quad 4gig ram Nvidia Geforce 8400, 640 g hd Win.7, UBUNTU 10.10
3) Gateway FX4710-UB0031 Core 2 quad 6 g ram Nvidia 8600gt-1gigddr3, 640g hd & Windows 7, & PCT Destined
Registered Linux User 533601
dathem
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.7 32 BIT

Postby anthonye_02 » Tue May 04, 2010 5:19 am

I have two systems; one is a Gigabyte GA-M61SME-S2 with a AMD 5400 cpu, nvidia 8600GT, and 25Gbs of hard disk in a 150Gb Samsung Sata HD, partitioned into three partitions, all primary, holding Windows XP, SuperOS 9.10, and the 3d partion for trying out new distros; the remainder is a secondary partition, formatted to Dos and holding various essential (to me) files. This has 4Gb of RAM
The second system is: Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L, Intel 6550, Ati Radeon HD4850 card, Hitachi 350GB hard disk, set up very much as the first sytem in terms of partitioning. Occasionally I put the nvidia card in this, as there are some qualities about the Ati card I'm not happy with. This has 6Gb of RAM.
I have no problems installing Ultimate Edition 2.6 (or indeed Ubuntu 10.4) on either system (though with Ubuntu, it is easier using the alternate, text-based, install). The AMD system is marginally faster in operation; but the results are the same. SuperOS takes 5 seconds from login screen to usable desktop. Ultimate Edition 2.6 and Ubuntu 10.04 take 28 seconds on the AMD system, 31 on the Intel one.
Reading posts on various forums, there does appear to be a wide disparity; some people say 10.04 is as fast as 9.10 on their systems, others have the same slowness as I do.
anthonye_02
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby anthonye_02 » Tue May 04, 2010 7:11 am

Problem solved! You have to switch your floppy to None in the Bios. Not only does it then install much faster, but the lag between login screen and desktop is now down to 5 seconds. Why this should be so, I have no idea!
Note, this is on my Intel system, haven't yet tried the AMD one.
anthonye_02
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby dathem » Tue May 04, 2010 10:08 am

anthonye_02 wrote:Problem solved! You have to switch your floppy to None in the Bios. Not only does it then install much faster, but the lag between login screen and desktop is now down to 5 seconds. Why this should be so, I have no idea!
Note, this is on my Intel system, haven't yet tried the AMD one.

Hello, Happy you found a solution, hopefully to both systems. The floppy issue is a bug that started with UBUNTU 9.xx series, in that they don't directly support internal floppies, while external usb attached floppies work "out of the box". I suppose your system Bios is set to wait so long to check for the floppy drive, maybe???? This bug is apparently a low priority issue as most people don't use floppies anymore, I don't use them and my newest computer doesn't have a floppy drive. At any rate I hope you find Ultimate Edition 2.6 to be a joy to use.
1)HPE-500F a 6 core @ 2.70 Ghz, with 8 gigs of Ram and a 1.5 T HD
the graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 6450 with 512 MB DDR3 Ultimate Edition 3.2, Windows 7
2) HP Pav Elite m9040n Core2 quad 4gig ram Nvidia Geforce 8400, 640 g hd Win.7, UBUNTU 10.10
3) Gateway FX4710-UB0031 Core 2 quad 6 g ram Nvidia 8600gt-1gigddr3, 640g hd & Windows 7, & PCT Destined
Registered Linux User 533601
dathem
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.7 32 BIT

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.6 (Including 2.6.5)