Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Network issues post here please.

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.6

Re: Network issues post here please.

Postby Admin-Amir » Sun May 09, 2010 5:42 pm

PPL - bcm43xx will not work on 2.6 !!
And bcm44xx has bug that is in progress as we speech.
This is the issue that we have on the eth0 = the package is not fix yet,
I have try the work around, to get it done we need the part of the code to add the fix in the update.
So for the U.E 2.6 the Driver is off the net at this time - bug fix.

I've actually figured out where this bug is hiding. dhclient doesn't modify the interface at all, even to set an IP. It just passes all the info to /etc/dhcp3/dhclient-script (for Debian, may vary with distro), which is expected to set everything up. There's some documentation under "man dhclient-script", but it's a fairly self- explanatory shell script. It looks like most distros use a slightly patched version based off the example one shipped with ISC dhclient. You could probably take a look in there to see where it excessively ifconfig ${IFACE} up and ifconfig ${IFACE} down and patch it to do so less often.
From my Ubuntu laptop, here's the justification listed for bringing the
interface down:

# IP address changed. Bringing down the interface will delete all routes,
# and clear the ARP cache.

Maybe there's another way to make these things happen? If so, perhaps Ubuntu and/or Debian will take a patch.
Maybe there's another way to make these things happen? If so, perhaps Ubuntu and/or Debian will take a patch.

Yeah, I was actually in the process of rewriting that script from scratch to handle DHCP obtaining multiple IPs from the DHCP server using different client IDs, then updating BIND9 records and passing one of those to a client behind the firewall and doing proxy ARP for it. I started running in to some more fundamental problems with ifupdown related to the inability to fully extend /etc/network/ interface from externally-written modules (I really wanted to have separate address classes to select generic DHCP or a specific client, and configure the client appropriately). As a result I'm kind of in the process of writing "ifupdown-ng" (the self-documenting source code for the original was just painful to look at, hence it's a full rewrite). I'm adding it with a built-in dhclient-script that writes args and env on a pipe to let the main app handle dhclient, then waits for a response before allowing dhclient to continue. As such I'm not terribly interested in a patch, but if I ever get a working version you can bet I'll be submitting it to Debian experimental/ unstable.
Admin-Amir

Postby billhedrick » Sun May 09, 2010 7:06 pm

hrmmm
Well on my laptop, 2.6 is still installed, I am doing something to fix the ethernet issue, I am getting an external adapter - the internal connection doesn't work at all (old machine) and the wireless doesn't work either, it's the broadcom 43xx bug. Desktop works like a charm!
billhedrick
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby Admin-Amir » Mon May 10, 2010 1:10 am

Hello billhedrick.

To get your wireless to work ,
you will need to get it on Auto option Like you see here.

Selection_003.png

Selection_001.png

Selection_002.png

BUT - First log in to your Modem/router , there look for the wireless tab,
Then insert the wireless name of your network + pass and Apply it.
Just configure it to WPA & WPA2 personal.
Admin-Amir

Postby billhedrick » Mon May 10, 2010 8:19 am

thanks Admin-Amir, but as you noted in the previous post, the drivers for the 43xx don't work. I have a 43xx wireless card, and tried the steps you gave me already several times, I will look at it again today though, just to be sure.
billhedrick
Site Admin

Postby Admin-Amir » Mon May 10, 2010 10:12 am

Hello billhedrick.

well the packages that have to be install on your machine :

Selection_002.png
wireless

After you have the packages installed from synaptic ,
try to get the wireless to work please.

Selection_002.png

Selection_003.png
Admin-Amir

Postby billhedrick » Wed May 12, 2010 11:18 am

I have to post a win! I have a bad ethernet connection in my Latitude D510, and it broke completely recently. I did all the tech and decided I needed to add an external ethernet adapter. I got a sabrent NT-USB20 ethernet to USB 2.0 adapter from NewEgg. I tried to do the install in windows and it wouldn't take, but restarted in Ultimate Edition 2.6 and it's automatically there!, I am doing updates right now and will work on my wireless problems this afternoon!

So YAY!
billhedrick
Site Admin

Postby Admin-Amir » Wed May 12, 2010 11:25 am

Hello billhedrick.

Happy to hear that from you , Excellent step you made <BREW> ;)
Thank you for your Update on the issue billhedrick.

I want to have your attention to one important subject.
Ubuntu Tweak will not work with the firewall works the first time!
you will have to Turn off the Firestarter so you can have the Ubuntu Tweak to Sync.
At the second time that you will open the Ubuntu Tweak you can work with the Firewall to be ON.
After Ubuntu Tweak is Sync,
it will open port on the firewall for you to get Update with no problems.
Admin-Amir

Postby empleyfire » Sun May 16, 2010 4:43 pm

Hi i accidentally managed to turn off the wireless device in my Acer Acpire one.

sudo lshw -C network:

*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 02
serial: 00:23:8b:99:d9:11
size: 100MB/s
capacity: 100MB/s
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=full ip=192.168.80.103 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=MII speed=100MB/s
resources: irq:28 ioport:3000(size=256) memory:71010000-71010fff(prefetchable) memory:71000000-7100ffff(prefetchable) memory:71020000-7103ffff(prefetchable)
*-network DISABLED
description: Wireless interface
product: AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter
vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
logical name: wlan0
version: 01
serial: 00:24:2c:0b:da:5e
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath5k latency=0 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bg
resources: irq:18 memory:75200000-7520ffff

the ethernet cable works fine but wireless i cant activate.
Pentium 4 3,2 Ghz
2GB ram
Nvidia GeForce 7800GS
empleyfire
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Sun May 16, 2010 4:59 pm

empleyfire wrote:Hi i accidentally managed to turn off the wireless device in my Acer Acpire one.

the ethernet cable works fine but wireless i cant activate.

Try running
Code: Select all
sudo ifconfig wlan0 up

and see if it activates it.

If not try
rfkill list

And see if it's hard blocked.
If it is
sudo tail -f /var/log/messages

And keep it open while pressing Fn+F2 and see if it changes.
;)
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby empleyfire » Sun May 16, 2010 5:16 pm

sudo ifconfig wlan0 up:
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Unknown error 132

rfkill list:
2: phy0: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: yes

sudo tail -f /var/log/messages:
May 16 22:37:08 nicole-laptop gnome-screensaver-dialog: pam_sm_authenticate: username = [nicole]
May 16 22:41:57 nicole-laptop sudo: pam_sm_authenticate: Called
May 16 22:41:57 nicole-laptop sudo: pam_sm_authenticate: username = [nicole]
May 16 22:53:56 nicole-laptop bonobo-activation-server (nicole-25110): could not associate with desktop session: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-Dmej1nQg9o: Connection refused
May 16 22:54:19 nicole-laptop nautilus: [N-A] Nautilus-Actions Tracker 2.30.2 initializing...
May 16 22:54:19 nicole-laptop nautilus: [N-A] Nautilus-Actions Menu Extender 2.30.2 initializing...
May 16 22:56:16 nicole-laptop sudo: pam_sm_authenticate: Called
May 16 22:56:16 nicole-laptop sudo: pam_sm_authenticate: username = [nicole]
May 16 23:10:00 nicole-laptop sudo: pam_sm_authenticate: Called
May 16 23:10:00 nicole-laptop sudo: pam_sm_authenticate: username = [nicole]
and then the terminal stops working.

Still no wireless.
Pentium 4 3,2 Ghz
2GB ram
Nvidia GeForce 7800GS
empleyfire
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

PreviousNext

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.6 (Including 2.6.5)