Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

ATI issues post here please.

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.6

Re: ATI issues post here please.

Postby serialjoepsycho » Mon May 03, 2010 2:12 pm

Ok the ATI drivers work in lucid x64. Of course I have a radeon 4350 so I can only say for sure that the drive for all radeon 4xxx works. The kernel may very well be the problem. If you have an ATI driver I would just say install the driver from AMDs website. Install everything but the catalyst control center and just change the settings in terminal until this issue is fixed if you must have Ultimate edition.
serialjoepsycho
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Postby rsmcgough » Wed May 05, 2010 9:42 pm

I installed ultimate 2.6 64bit and it worked fine until I updated the ATI driver from the Hardware Driver utility. It said to update it so I did, well when I rebooted all I had was a black screen well then I changed to the .21 Kernel and I booted up and everything looks GREAT, ITS FAST FAST. The Kernel is the problem I believe.
Randall
ASUS M3A78-CM Motheboard
AMD X2 64 3.1GHz
SATA 500 GB Hardrive
8GB PC2-6400 Dual Channel Memory
ATI Radion HD 6450 1GB memory
ATI SBxOO Azalia (intel HDA) Sound Card
Realtek PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
Ultimate Edition 3.4LTS 64 bit
rsmcgough
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 64 BIT

Postby Cell » Wed May 05, 2010 10:02 pm

Postby serialjoepsycho » Mon May 03, 2010 9:45 am

Wait lets me say that better: Lucid x86 doesn't have that issue with radeon hd 4350 and I must assume the same can be said for all radeon 4xxx cards since one driver runs them all.

True...somewhat.There is one driver from ATI(fglrx),but each rev. card reads the instructions different.

Sounds like a mean thing to say,but I'm glad ATI is finally having less issues than Nvida(from what I've been reading).Now I can buy an graphics card,and be confident that it will work well in now matter what OS I'm using.Even the open source drivers are kicking butt now.

Cell
-------------------------------
hardware
--------------------------------
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Ultimate Edition 2.4 Gamer Ed.
Mythbuntu 9.10
windows XP MCE remastered with Nlite
Windows 7 remastered with Vlight
----------------------------------------------------------
We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically-deGrasse Tyson
Cell
Site Admin

Postby serialjoepsycho » Wed May 05, 2010 10:24 pm

ATI jumped a leap ahead after AMD bought them especially when it comes to open source. The future of linux and free software is starting to seem my much sunnier as time goes by.
serialjoepsycho
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby DarkSoul_DST » Fri May 21, 2010 12:12 am

Ok Im having the same issue with my Radeon 4350 it was doing same thing in 2.5 I have installed on same machine as 2.6.Found a post at Ubuntu forums with a fix.I know its working on the 2.5 I just got done doing it.Worked so good im playing WOW thru wine with 33fps which is real good.Going to try the same thing on the 2.6 tomarrow I spent most of the day just getting it to work in 2.5.Second time around should be easier.If you want to try it here is what I followed.

Re: new 4350 drivers, how to install
Here, try this.

Step 1; Remove old drivers.
Note: ATI recommends you uninstall the ATI Proprietary Linux
Driver before installing a newer version.

If you have installed the driver and it is giving you problems it may be mis-installed so removing it and starting again clean is often faster and easier than trying to figure out what went wrong.

If you are using a driver that you downloaded from the ati site and installed it using the installer there is a removal script that you can use:

Code: Select all
sudo sh /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh

If you installed the driver using Jockey (hardware manager) then that means the driver is from the Ubuntu repository and has been packaged a little differently so you will need to remove it as follows (you may also need to use this method if you used dpkg to build and install the driver):

sudo apt-get purge xorg-driver-fglrx fglrx-amdcccle fglrx-kernel-source xorg-driver-fglrx-dev

The driver also may replace the following files with proprietary versions so you may need to restore them to their generic state:

sudo apt-get --reinstall install libgl1-mesa-glx xserver-xorg-core

If you use Envy to install the driver, use Envy and chose remove completely.

If you are replacing an Nvidia card and used the nvidia proprietary driver the driver should also be removed completely BEFORE REMOVING THE CARD. This will save you a lot of headaches.

reboot into recovery kernel and use the fix-x option or "repair broken packages" to get to the generic VESA driver working. You can verify that the VESA driver is in use by checking in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

STEP 2: Shutdown the system and install the new card.
If you are replacing an old card or installing a new card or adding a new card to a system that was previously using integrated graphics then you must enter the bios and make sure that the correct card is recognized and enabled and the IGP disabled.

Boot up the system and again use the fix-x or repair broken packages option. This is necessary because even the VESA driver needs to be initialized again for a different card
...continue....
If you want you can check again in /var/log/Xorg.0.log to make sure everything is OK.
You may not have a maximum resolution display and no desktop effects but do not change anything yet, you still need to install the new driver.

Step3:Install the new driver.
Go to the ati site and download the latest driver for your card to your Desktop (You can also do this before you start)

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Open a terminal and navigate to the Desktop

cd Desktop

Make the installer executable by right clicking on it and choosing Properties/Permissions and checking the box next to Execute: and close the window.
Run the installer

sudo sh ./ati-driver-installer.....

You can finish the rest of the line with the full name of the driver file including the .bin. You will be asked for your password, just type it in and the installer should run. When the driver stops and asks you questions just hit enter.

After the driver is finished installing return to the terminal and type

sudo aticonfig --initial

You should get some message like "found uniitalized file xorg.conf blah bah blah....
If you have an X2 card, which has 2 gpus, or multiple cards you should use

sudo aticonfig --adapter=all --initial

If you get an error you can try

sudo aticonfig --initial -f

This will force aticonfig to overwrite the old xorg.conf.

reboot

Post Installation tips
Do not use Preferences/Display or Screen Resolution to adjust your display.
The driver comes with the Catalyst Control Center for adjusting the display and configuring the driver. It will be in your menu. You need to use the superuser mode to make most changes. If it does not launch from the menu you can launch it from a terminal with

sudo amdcccle

There is also the command line utility aticonfig which has more options than CCC and is useful for setting up crossfire and a bunch of other useful stuff you can do to tweak the driver. For a full list of aticonfig options you can use

aticonfig --help

Be very careful using these utilities, they can be a little buggy and do not like more than one change at a time before you reboot.

There are many old guides around and a lot of their advice is outdated. For one thing it is no longer necessary to build the packages yourself since the installer will now recognize Ubuntu and build the proper packages itself. Many of the old xorg.conf options they tell you to use are also no longer necessary and do not work for all cards so be very careful if you try them.
Last edited by Blackwolf on Sun May 23, 2010 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tidied Code
MotherBoard Asrock Alive NF7G-HD720p Rev5.0 NVIDIA® GeForce 7050 / nForce 630A MCP Chipsets
XFX ATI Radeon HD 4350 1 GB Graphics Card HD435XZAH2
Disabled Integrated NVIDIA® GeForce7 Series (NV44) DX9.0 VGA, Pixel Shader 3.0, Max. shared memory 256MB
NVIDIA® PureVideo™ Ready
RAM Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
CPU AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Black Edition Processor Model ADO5000DSWOF
HARDDRIVE Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAJS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
OS UE2.5 64 bit
OS UE2.6 64 bit
DarkSoul_DST
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

New problem

Postby DarkSoul_DST » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:25 am

Ok followed Admin Amirs post on cleaning up the kernel then also doing the update to 2.6.34-020634 then cleaned kernel again.Now I followed the post I did on putting in the ATI drivers in after purging the old ones.Did it the way Blackwolf edited the script and the original way I had done it on my 2.5.I am now getting the Black screen of death on start-up.Have followed other suggestions from Ubuntu site to no avail.Is the 2.6.34-020634 kernel that much different and needs the script edited some more.Im lost again just been playing with the different kernels trying to figure out which one will work best for WOW.Only problem I seem to be running into is the Video drivers on each version of the kernel.My non updated 2.6 installs installed the ATI driver no problem its just the updated kernel giving me headaches now.After this updated kernel going to work on the 2.6 gamers edition I have already installed and running.Need to know for it if it can have the kernel update put in it also.

Thanks for any advice given
MotherBoard Asrock Alive NF7G-HD720p Rev5.0 NVIDIA® GeForce 7050 / nForce 630A MCP Chipsets
Disabled Integrated NVIDIA® GeForce7 Series (NV44) DX9.0 VGA, Pixel Shader 3.0, Max. shared memory 256MB
NVIDIA® PureVideo™ Ready
RAM Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
CPU AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Black Edition Processor Model ADO5000DSWOF
OS UE2.5 64 bit
OS UE2.6 64 bit
DarkSoul_DST
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby sambolinux » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:27 am

Hi Darksoul, do you still have kernel 2.6.32.21 installed or have you deleted it ? The reason I asked is because I have working on the kernel 2.6.32.22(it wont work with proprietary ati video drivers at all.) The drivers work well with the older kernel but not this one, I don't understand unless they changed something in the kernel, I wish I knew what options to use with the kernel because I would compile my own but too complex for me !!! There are books on this and not just simple scripts.
Computer: Antec NSK6500 case, MSI K9A2 Platinum, BE940 Phenom II,6gig ddr2 1066mhz ram, 4 sata hd (1 250gb seagate w/acronis for op sys bkp only and 1 TB wd green for movie bkp only and disconnected) , 3 1TB wd black sata II(no raid),Zalman 9700 air cooler, on board realsucks sound, Sony 42" hdtv connected to a 4670 ATI Radeon video card/ w Zalman 900 air cooler(very quiet) , 21.5 in Acer lcd monitor(cheap monitor finally died) , 2 ide dvd rw drives LG , 1 sata hp 340i bluray disk writer
OP sys : Win XP Pro, 1 Win7-64bit-ultimate and 1 custom precise 12.04 with all media codecs compiled by me and a bunch of media encoders.
sambolinux
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Other O/S

Postby DarkSoul_DST » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:19 pm

Just reinstalled the 22 kernel I had got rid of it because it was to buggy .The driver works good on the 21 kernel will look around and work with it to see if I can get it working on the 22 kernel.
NVIDIA® PureVideo™ Ready
OS UE2.5 64 bit
OS UE2.6 64 bit
DarkSoul_DST
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby sambolinux » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:16 am

I have tried every trick I can think of still no love. Hopefully you will have better luck than I have had.
Computer: Antec NSK6500 case, MSI K9A2 Platinum, BE940 Phenom II,6gig ddr2 1066mhz ram, 4 sata hd (1 250gb seagate w/acronis for op sys bkp only and 1 TB wd green for movie bkp only and disconnected) , 3 1TB wd black sata II(no raid),Zalman 9700 air cooler, on board realsucks sound, Sony 42" hdtv connected to a 4670 ATI Radeon video card/ w Zalman 900 air cooler(very quiet) , 21.5 in Acer lcd monitor(cheap monitor finally died) , 2 ide dvd rw drives LG , 1 sata hp 340i bluray disk writer
OP sys : Win XP Pro, 1 Win7-64bit-ultimate and 1 custom precise 12.04 with all media codecs compiled by me and a bunch of media encoders.
sambolinux
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Re: ATI issues post here please.- [SOLVED]

Postby sambolinux » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:44 pm

Well I finally got the proprietary drivers to work with kernel 22. What I did ,in noway can I be held responsible if you break your box, is remove kernel .22 then rebooted but for some strange reason I had to reconfigure X to get to load gnome , I don't why it should have been already configured for this kernel. I do not guarantee this will work for you nor do I suggest you try it. but I will give the steps I used for the curious.
step 1 remove all of kernel 22 only(keep 21) through synaptic (system>administrator>synaptic) keep tabs on what else it removes because you have to reinstall them all.The system should be able to boot back up without them but it will not upgrade to the newest kernel if they release one. reboot
step 2 You might have to reconfigure X if so got into recovery mode and use fail-safe X to reconfigure X(the line right below normal boot kernel).
step 3 Reinstall all of kernel 22 and whatever else it took with it.If I remember correctly I had to reinstall 5 pkgs( do not hold me to this because I also installed other pkgs that have no bearing with kernel 22(powernowd, i2c tools))
step 4 reboot voila I have kernel 22 with open source drivers cool now I can install the proprietary drivers.
sambolinux
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

PreviousNext

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.6 (Including 2.6.5)