Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

**solved** telnet to localhost failing

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.4

**solved** telnet to localhost failing

Postby Fyra » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:55 am

Firstly, I am Australian, but now living in China (for 12 months). Please be patient with me because of this; my internet is incredibly slow, and many sites (including ubuntu forum) are blocked by the Chinese firewall, or often just too slow to load in full. If my connection was quicker I could consider using a secure vpn to get around this, but the thought of slowing down my browsing even more is just too much. Just to prove I am not exaggerating, my download speed is often measured in bytes/sec rather than kb/s. (The joys of a massive hotel run on a 10 base T network o.O)

Ultimate Edition 2.4 is pretty slick. Even Skype and Audacity work (the pulseaudio problems in Jaunty had forced me to keep Intrepid installed on another partition). I think this is the best linux distro I've tried so far, so well done to both Canonical and of course Theeman.

HOWEVER!

I cannot telnet to localhost. I use a little console app as a proxy, which I have tailored to my own needs. It adds some functionality to my telnet client. It compiles correctly, and appears to run correctly - but when I attempt to connect to localhost: 1523 it just does not connect. (I have tried a range of other ports also). I still have a Jaunty distro (MInt) on another partition, and it works correctly there.

I googled "connecting to localhost with telnet in karmic" and got a page full of similar complaints, many of them linked to ubuntu forum posts. These I cannot read so I do not know if there is a workaround.

If anyone has any advice/insight that might help, I will really appreciate it. I don't -like- Mint linux but it is the only non-Karmic I have left (and my connection speed is way too slow to download anything else).
Last edited by Fyra on Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fyra
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Re: telnet to localhost failing

Postby Admin-Amir » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:53 am

Hello Australian Fyra <BREW>

Here is from the other side of the world your solution ;)

I think telnet defaults to port 22 if you don't specify a different port; I also think that port 22 is usually bound to sshd if it's running, which will deny any telnet connection attempts. Since you've got Webmin running, and this has port 10000 and does accept telnet connection attempts, one test of telnet connectivity is to type telnet localhost 10000. This should look like this:

username@host:~$ telnet localhost 10000
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.

You'll have to hit Ctrl-C to get out of this, as telnet will happily sit there doing nothing. Anyway, once you've confirmed that you can telnet into your localhost at all, try again with whatever port you've set up your mail server to use to make sure your mail server itself is accepting connections. For instance, Gmail's SMTP server uses port 465, so I can check my ability to connect to Gmail's server like this:

username@host:~$ telnet smtp.gmail.com 465
Trying 209.85.199.111...
Connected to gmail-smtp.l.google.com.
Escape character is '^]'.

If your mail server is accepting connections, you're good to go -- move on to the next step of configuring your server.

Hope this will fix you up there :D
Admin-Amir

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.4