Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Authorization Problem

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.4

Authorization Problem

Postby Star Picket » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:59 am

Hi there,

I'm new to Ultimate Edition but not new to Linux, being user for around 6 years now. However, I am not a command line expert.

My problem is that I can't get Ubuntu Tweak to authorize actions such as third party, cleaning and repository changes. I am aware of the unlock tab: it doesn't work. Here is a copy of the terminal readout when I try to authorize a change:

Code: Select all
john@john-desktop:~$ ubuntu-tweak
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/ubuntu-tweak/common/policykit/polkitbutton.py", line 97, in on_button_clicked
    self.action.authenticate()
  File "/usr/share/ubuntu-tweak/common/policykit/polkitbutton.py", line 55, in authenticate
    self.do_authenticate()
  File "/usr/share/ubuntu-tweak/common/policykit/polkitbutton.py", line 61, in do_authenticate
    policykit = self.session_bus.get_object('org.freedesktop.PolicyKit.AuthenticationAgent', '/')
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/dbus/bus.py", line 244, in get_object
    follow_name_owner_changes=follow_name_owner_changes)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/dbus/proxies.py", line 241, in __init__
    self._named_service = conn.activate_name_owner(bus_name)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/dbus/bus.py", line 183, in activate_name_owner
    self.start_service_by_name(bus_name)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/dbus/bus.py", line 281, in start_service_by_name
    'su', (bus_name, flags)))
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/dbus/connection.py", line 620, in call_blocking
    message, timeout)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ExecFailed: Failed to execute program /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/polkit-kde-manager: Success
john@john-desktop:~$

I also booted from the live DVD and installed Ubuntu Tweak from their website. It also disallowed the "unlock" but with a window popup stating a denying authorization.

Perhaps someone can see something that might help here?

thank you for your time
John
AMD Phenom 9750 Quad-Core Processor, 4G RAM etc.
Ultimate Edition 2.4
Star Picket
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition KDE4

Re: Authorization Problem

Postby Moebius » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:54 am

Hi John,
In your menus, System > Administration > Authorizations
In the left column under com and ubuntu-tweak, click on Tweak.
If you are listed in the "Explicit Authorizations" box, click on the item and click the "Revoke" button. Then click "Close".
Remember to update.

Hopefully this will work for you.
GNOME 3.2.1
Oz Unity Developement (32) Kernel 15
Moebius Custom Gothic
Intel DG33FB Mainboard
Intel Core2Duo E8400
Amicroe 2 x 1Gb DDR2
WD 250Gb Sata II WD2500AAKS (O/S)
WD 500Gb Sata II WD5000AAKS (Data)
LG Super Multi DVDRW
GeForce 8600GT PCI-E 16x 512Mb 540 MHz

Ultimate Edition Australia___Ultimate Edition Israel____Ultimate Facebook
Moebius
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby Admin-Amir » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:02 am

Hello Star Picket.

Here is the solution for the Ubuntu Tweak.

First:

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Then:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/tualatrix/ppa/ubuntu karmic main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/tualatrix/ppa/ubuntu karmic main

Then:
save the page -(After you have add the source to the bottom of the list)hit save.

then in the terminal:

sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com FE85409EEAB40ECCB65740816AF0E1940624A220

Then:

sudo apt-get update

Then:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-tweak

Then:

sudo apt-get upgrade

when the question of the upgrade come write Y and hit Enter.
Admin-Amir

Postby Star Picket » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:01 am

Thank you both for your replies to my problem.

Regarding the Authorization page, no I'm not listed. (Nor can I list myself....it won't accept users). I tried that the other day - no luck.

As for your suggestion Amir: if you got this from the Tweak site, I have tried that already. It was a formerly reported bug back in September but was supposed to have been repaired in subsequent versions. I was suspecting a regression or a bad file wrongly loaded to the site. Who knows. But I will give it another try. I have reloaded all the policykit files as well; although I probably should have purged them before doing so.

Thank you both for having a shot at this. I might post this on the U-Tweak site and see what they make of the terminal message.

Regards
John
Ultimate Edition 2.4
Star Picket
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby dathem » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:46 pm

Hello, I installed UBUNTU Tweak via Ultamatix, AT first I also got a message that stated "this feature isn't currently available in your distribution" when I clicked on 3rd Party, Source, and cleaning. But yesterday there were some 45 megs worth of updates and now I can access the cleaning feature, the other 2 still have the "feature isn't available, etc." yet. This is normal for a new distro version, we just need to wait, I guess.

I would rather install via Ultramtix, so that I know it should work then, as it has been tested by this team, somehow, usually.
1)HPE-500F a 6 core @ 2.70 Ghz, with 8 gigs of Ram and a 1.5 T HD
the graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 6450 with 512 MB DDR3 Ultimate Edition 3.2, Windows 7
2) HP Pav Elite m9040n Core2 quad 4gig ram Nvidia Geforce 8400, 640 g hd Win.7, UBUNTU 10.10
3) Gateway FX4710-UB0031 Core 2 quad 6 g ram Nvidia 8600gt-1gigddr3, 640g hd & Windows 7, & PCT Destined
Registered Linux User 533601
dathem
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.7 32 BIT

Postby Moebius » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:56 am

dathem,
Your issue was exactly like mine. I solved that by downloading the latest UbuntuTweak .deb package from their site. It seems that Star Pickets problem is slightly different.

Cheers.
GNOME 3.2.1
Oz Unity Developement (32) Kernel 15
Moebius Custom Gothic
Intel DG33FB Mainboard
Intel Core2Duo E8400
Amicroe 2 x 1Gb DDR2
WD 250Gb Sata II WD2500AAKS (O/S)
WD 500Gb Sata II WD5000AAKS (Data)
LG Super Multi DVDRW
GeForce 8600GT PCI-E 16x 512Mb 540 MHz

Ultimate Edition Australia___Ultimate Edition Israel____Ultimate Facebook
Moebius
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby Star Picket » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:20 am

Yes, I did have that same issue but downloaded the .deb file but couldn't get authorization to work.

I'm about to do a re-install to see if that fixes the problem as it seems to be only me that has this issue.

Thank you everyone for your support.

John
Ultimate Edition 2.4
Star Picket
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Admin-Amir » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:50 am

Hello Star Picket.

Let me explain to you way you are wrong here,and there is no bug with Ubuntu Tweak at all.
It is all start with the way you configure your user in the first place.
You see,if you have start all the process with your system with installing packages Video card so on.
this it the place that you have mad the wrong moves.
The first place to go to after install the system will be the permission!
System=>Administration=> user and Groups.
there you go to your user name-add your self to all option and modify!!!
after this step=>you start your Firewall =>then start synaptic(you do not update/upgrade) just start.
then=>you add Ubuntu Tweak to your source list+key+update/upgrade=>install the Video card=>Restart the machine!!!

Way?

If you follow those steps the system will not take to install all the extra packages in synaptic.
then you will have permission to any step with no problems around your Desktop..

So do not look for bugs before you look on what steps you have made right or wrong first.
if you follow the right steps with the system all will work for you in the best way,
bot if you go fast to do things and install packages well you will have for shore mess with permission.
Admin-Amir

Postby Star Picket » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:37 am

Thanks for your reply, but one of the first things I investigated was the user settings. No luck.

I have just done a complete reinstall of everything and it now works. I may have ruined something when I uninstalled some of the software bloat from my first install. I haven't done that this time as disk space is not an issue for me at the moment. I have simply unmarked them in the menu system so I don't have to scroll down longs lists of apps that are cryptically described (which is one reason why I don't like the KDE desktop - too much replicated bloat).

In short, I think there was a corrupted file someplace and the reinstall of the OS has fixed the problem. There was not that much work involved in backing up the Home partition, since I only recently installed Ultimate Edition.

thank you every one for giving me your time.

Best regards
John
Ultimate Edition 2.4
Star Picket
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby dathem » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:02 pm

Hello, I went to the Tweak website and downloaded and installed the newest but not beta version. I tried to install 2 themes, well that broke 2 packages, I had to remove the 2 themes I just installed and corrected the errors that Snaptic reported.

SO, I will restate, it is safer to use Ultramatix!
1)HPE-500F a 6 core @ 2.70 Ghz, with 8 gigs of Ram and a 1.5 T HD
the graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 6450 with 512 MB DDR3 Ultimate Edition 3.2, Windows 7
2) HP Pav Elite m9040n Core2 quad 4gig ram Nvidia Geforce 8400, 640 g hd Win.7, UBUNTU 10.10
3) Gateway FX4710-UB0031 Core 2 quad 6 g ram Nvidia 8600gt-1gigddr3, 640g hd & Windows 7, & PCT Destined
Registered Linux User 533601
dathem
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.7 32 BIT

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.4