Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

KDE DESKTOP HELP NEEDED

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.4

KDE DESKTOP HELP NEEDED

Postby jessie » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:27 pm

My little intro, ( since I didn't find any place to introduce myself, I introduce myself here, and at the same time I ask for help)

Hi my name is Jessie, I live in Peoria, Arizona, I am what many will call a distro junkie, I like to play and test many new distros using virtualbox, vmware, and then if I like the way they work or behave, then they will make it to my test partition for up to a month, ( surprised myself ) Ultimate Edition decided to stay as my main distro for every day usage. and I joined this forum seeking to learn as much about Ultimae Edition and for help about linux in general. I've worked with windows since windows 95 up to vista. and looking for the easiest linux distro came across Ubuntu and also at the same time Ultimate Edition, which I find to be one the best and easiest to use OS replacement for my computer. since I been using windows for too long, I been thinking that now is the right time for a change and also the time for a really newbie to learn much as I possibly can about linux. in advance I thank everyone who could make my migration from windows to the fabulous world of linux.....

well now the problem that brought me here in the first place, I have downloaded ultimate edition version 2.4 twice and I have burned also twice at 4X ( that is the lowest speed that I can get ) of course I also installed twice on my pc and tried a laptop and my friends pc, everything is working perfectly on all 3 pc's, the only problem that I have is with kde desktop, when I login into kde desktop, I can't type on the firefox bar and also when it ask for my password it won't let me type anything ( I mean if I use synaptic it ask for my password but when I try to type it does not allow me to type anything, the same happens when I launch a terminal and do sudo + any command it will ask for my password, but when I try to type it does not type at all ) this only happens on the kde desktop, the gnome desktop works wonderfully, so my question is if anyone else besides me is having this problem, how can I fix it, or how can I remove the kde desktop completely.
any help will be very appreciated in advance i thank anyone that could provide me with any kind of help to my problem, and I congratulate to the developer/s for such a wonderful distro.
Jessie
Discovering the wonderful world of linux
Processor : AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3400+ / Memory : 1945MB / Video graphics : Silicon Integrated Systems Integrated with up to Up to 128MB allocated video memory
jessie
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Re: KDE DESKTOP HELP NEEDED

Postby Cell » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:45 pm

Does it input,and not show text,or does nothing at all?
-------------------------------
hardware
--------------------------------
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Ultimate Edition 2.4 Gamer Ed.
Mythbuntu 9.10
windows XP MCE remastered with Nlite
Windows 7 remastered with Vlight
----------------------------------------------------------
We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically-deGrasse Tyson
Cell
Site Admin

Postby jessie » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:17 am

Does it input,and not show text,or does nothing at all?

it does not input, in order for me to input my password I have to type it on the text editor and then copy it to the terminal or to the box that is asking me for my password, same goes for the firefox search bar, in fact anything that ask me to type my password won't let me input it.
Jessie
Processor : AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3400+ / Memory : 1945MB / Video graphics : Silicon Integrated Systems Integrated with up to Up to 128MB allocated video memory
jessie
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby jnalli » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:26 am

Hey Jessie,

I live near Avondale, Arizona. Let me know if you need help. You can reach me at [email protected]
Windows Vista
ASUS MB Compaq Presario Computer
AMD Athlon 64
Nvidia Geforce 210
4 Gb RAM
250 Gb SATA drive
jnalli
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby jnalli » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:27 am

Have you tried changing the theme?
Windows Vista
ASUS MB Compaq Presario Computer
AMD Athlon 64
Nvidia Geforce 210
4 Gb RAM
250 Gb SATA drive
jnalli
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby Driver » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:01 am

I have not done more than boot into KDE, look through the menus, and log out again so I am hesitant to post this. But a couple of places in GNOME I thought I was getting the same behavior in regards to your problem. It turned out that I was able to type in those boxes - only the font color plus the box's background plus my laptop's monitor made it look as if there was nothing in the box. I figured it out when I typed my input in a text editor, hit control-a to select all, then I did a copy. And then I went to the text entry box and goofed - thankfully - and pressed control-a again instead of doing a paste. It highlighted the text that I'd entered twice in the box because I could not see it.

Might want to try typing into one of those boxes and the immediately pressing control-a to see if the text is there and suddenly becomes readable. If so, you could probably change your theme to provide greater contrast between the foreground and background colors.
Driver "Driving you over the edge..."

Laptop: HP dv6226 - T2250 1.7gHz Pentium Dual-Core, 1gig, Intel (non-)graphics, Mint 14 Xfce 32-bit, MS Windows Vista Premium DOA
Desktop: Old AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.792gHz, 1.256gig, nVidia 5200fx 128meg, a new used hard drive awaiting an OS
Camera: Nikon Coolpix 3200 (MIA)
Printer/Scanner/Fax/Copier: Epson Artisan 810 (Awesome & works in linux!)
Phone: Defy XT Android no-contract $19/mo. unlimited talk/text/data (thanks, Republic Wireless!)
Scanner: Radio Shack PRO-2042 made by GRE (STOLEN - thief, I've got a bullet with your name on it)
Driver
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby jessie » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:40 am

hello and thank you all for your help, but I have done everything that you guys told me to, without any success at all, in order for me to use the web I have to log out and then login to gnome desktop and connect, because there is no way for me to get to the web in the kde desktop, last night I did re-download the ultimate edition iso, and burned again at 4x ( that is the lowest speed possible for me to burn ) and reinstalled again, only to get the same results, now my question is this one...
Now I want to completely remove kde desktop, how do I do that ? I don't see the need to have 2 desktop managers when one ( kde ) won't work as expected on my computer.
Thanks
Jessie
jessie
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby jessie » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:28 pm

Anyone ??
Also if I do remove kde desktop will my ultimate edition 2.4 install get messed up ?
jessie
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Cell » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:28 pm

You know I had a glitch too...the shift keys wasn't working.I changed the keyboard type,and reboot and they worked again....maybe you can try to change some keyboard settings?
-------------------------------
hardware
--------------------------------
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Ultimate Edition 2.4 Gamer Ed.
Mythbuntu 9.10
windows XP MCE remastered with Nlite
Windows 7 remastered with Vlight
----------------------------------------------------------
We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically-deGrasse Tyson
Cell
Site Admin

Postby jessie » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:19 pm

will try that also, and see what happens, I am not a fan of the kde desktop I am more an xfce and gnome desktops, and I would really love to get rid of kde
jessie
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.4