Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Third party software sources

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.4

Third party software sources

Postby hotshot247 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:13 pm

i just installed ultimate edition 2.4 which is the best ultimate edition so far. i was just wondering why it doesn't have many third party software sources like 2.3 had? it's not a big deal, i was just wondering.
hotshot247
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: Third party software sources

Postby Cell » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:35 pm

For stability...You can of course add any you want,but the Ultimate Edition repo is pretty much up to date,and has a lot in it.I went ahead and enabled the ubuntu repos in software sources,and there are quite a bit of updates concerning grub2,and such...
-------------------------------
hardware
--------------------------------
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Ultimate Edition 2.4 Gamer Ed.
Mythbuntu 9.10
windows XP MCE remastered with Nlite
Windows 7 remastered with Vlight
----------------------------------------------------------
We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically-deGrasse Tyson
Cell
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Postby chasonh » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:50 pm

How do you enable other repos? I want to install gnucash on 2.4 and it won't let me.
chasonh
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby Admin-Amir » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:54 pm

Hello chasonh and welcome to the U.E Forum.

You batter take A look here please:
http://www.gnucash.org/
Admin-Amir

Postby Driver » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:26 pm

Has anyone compiled a list of sources not included in the installers that work with this version of Ultimate Edition without problems? I understand that some popular programs - Opera web browser, for example - are not in the standard set of 3rd-party repositories.

While anyone looking for a specific application can search and find what they need to install it, I might not be the only one here that likes to browse through Synaptic's giant list of installable apps.

Thank you and sorry for the OT post. It seemed tangentially connected to the subject.
Driver "Driving you over the edge..."

Laptop: HP dv6226 - T2250 1.7gHz Pentium Dual-Core, 1gig, Intel (non-)graphics, Mint 14 Xfce 32-bit, MS Windows Vista Premium DOA
Desktop: Old AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.792gHz, 1.256gig, nVidia 5200fx 128meg, a new used hard drive awaiting an OS
Camera: Nikon Coolpix 3200 (MIA)
Printer/Scanner/Fax/Copier: Epson Artisan 810 (Awesome & works in linux!)
Phone: Defy XT Android no-contract $19/mo. unlimited talk/text/data (thanks, Republic Wireless!)
Scanner: Radio Shack PRO-2042 made by GRE (STOLEN - thief, I've got a bullet with your name on it)
Driver
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby Cell » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:54 pm

It doesn't make too much sense to use another one's source list...It might not have what you want,there might be unstable apps from the source.For instance I use unstable xorg. sources...now if you were to copy my list you can very well bork your system.
-------------------------------
hardware
--------------------------------
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Ultimate Edition 2.4 Gamer Ed.
Mythbuntu 9.10
windows XP MCE remastered with Nlite
Windows 7 remastered with Vlight
----------------------------------------------------------
We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically-deGrasse Tyson
Cell
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Postby Driver » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:09 pm

Cell wrote:It doesn't make too much sense to use another one's source list...It might not have what you want,there might be unstable apps from the source.For instance I use unstable xorg. sources...now if you were to copy my list you can very well bork your system.

I hadn't considered the unstable apps. I was thinking more along the lines of things that are more stable that for whatever reason aren't included.

In my 2.3 installation my source list had grown from the preset sources to I believe 109 sources. Some of those, admittedly, were of the unstable or even "nightly build" type because I'm comfortable with reinstalling Ultimate Edition now and the thought of pooching ONE of my two computers is not an automatic stopper for me (plus I knew that I'd be installing 2.4 as soon as it was released).

But I don't believe that all of the additional ones were unstable. Like Opera. I was encouraged to try it, it's not in Synaptic with all of the included sources enabled, so I added the Opera repository following directions in a thread (here, I believe).

I returned to Firefox, but it was still nice to try something different. That application seemed stable to me. Those are the kinds of things that I'd like to see listed in a thread called "Additional Sources You MIGHT Want" or the like. Of course if someone found issues (such as breaking their system, dependancies, installing the application causes some your applications to be removed (think that happened when I installed the latest nVidia drivers but it could have been something else), etc., than the user would be more than welcome to either comment in the thread or (preferred, in order to keep order in the thread) send a PM to the person that posted the source asking him/her to edit in that user's experiences beside that source).

And no, I didn't keep a list of my additional sources. New version of Ultimate Edition based on a new version of Ubuntu - I wanted to start fresh.

Come to think of it, it just occured to me that if the only apps that I could install were the ones already accessable via Synaptic and TheeMahn's Ultamatix... I'd still be quite the happy camper! And one of the people that I've installed Ultimate Edition for (she's over 70!) told me that she loves the fact that if she decides she wants a certain kind of application she can just look for it "because it's probably already on the list and I know it's not coming from a BAD place." So perhaps it's good that people start with a limited list with only a few additional sources (that can simply be "turned on").

Laptop: HP dv6226 - T2250 1.7gHz Pentium Dual-Core, 1gig, Intel (non-)graphics, Mint 14 Xfce 32-bit, MS Windows Vista Premium DOA
Desktop: Old AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.792gHz, 1.256gig, nVidia 5200fx 128meg, a new used hard drive awaiting an OS
Phone: Defy XT Android no-contract $19/mo. unlimited talk/text/data (thanks, Republic Wireless!)
Scanner: Radio Shack PRO-2042 made by GRE (STOLEN - thief, I've got a bullet with your name on it)
Driver
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby Driver » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:31 pm

chasonh wrote:I want to install gnucash on 2.4 and it won't let me.

I just noticed that Gnucash is listed in Ultamatix on my system. Are you able to install it that way?
Attachments
Gnucash.png

Driver
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.4