Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Graphics-Nvidia issues?Post here please.

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 2.4

Re: Graphics-Nvidia issues?Post here please.

Postby Driver » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:34 am

jim wrote:I'm sorry to hear it doesn't work. For me after I ran those commands I was able to set-up my monitors and then save the file. I do think I completely restarted rather just logging out though, you might try that. I also wanted to let you know that I've restarted several times and my xorg.conf has not be rewritten. I hope you get it working soon.

Good deal. Maybe I misread and it only rewrites when Update Manager sends us graphics updates. I will try again after rereading that entire thread.
Driver "Driving you over the edge..."

Laptop: HP dv6226 - T2250 1.7gHz Pentium Dual-Core, 1gig, Intel (non-)graphics, Mint 14 Xfce 32-bit, MS Windows Vista Premium DOA
Desktop: Old AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.792gHz, 1.256gig, nVidia 5200fx 128meg, a new used hard drive awaiting an OS
Camera: Nikon Coolpix 3200 (MIA)
Printer/Scanner/Fax/Copier: Epson Artisan 810 (Awesome & works in linux!)
Phone: Defy XT Android no-contract $19/mo. unlimited talk/text/data (thanks, Republic Wireless!)
Scanner: Radio Shack PRO-2042 made by GRE (STOLEN - thief, I've got a bullet with your name on it)
Driver
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby Cell » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:39 am

Driver,

Found this too.Its a guy using karmic,and couldn't select the res he wanted.(it wasn't in the list)

Re: Cannot select native resolution of my Monitor
*solved*
In the xorg.conf in the "Monitor" section are the following two lines:
Code:

HorizSync 28.0 - 55.0
VertRefresh 43.0 - 72.0

I found the manual for this monitor on line, and in the specifications section it actually had the following values listed:
Code:

HorizSync 30.0 - 81.0
VertRefresh 56.0 - 75.0

When I entered those values and restarted XServer, what should appear but all the modes my monitor is capable of -- and a few more besides.

Roy gets the nod for nailing the problem. The original file had numbers for those values so I had thought that the driver read them from the monitor. Guess not.

Thanks to all who took the time to suggest anwsers.
--Meroveus

I suppose you can do the same,and then edit your xorg.conf file.
-------------------------------
hardware
--------------------------------
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Ultimate Edition 2.4 Gamer Ed.
Mythbuntu 9.10
windows XP MCE remastered with Nlite
Windows 7 remastered with Vlight
----------------------------------------------------------
We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically-deGrasse Tyson
Cell
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

190.42 32 bit version works fine, 64 bit crashes system

Postby nesnfsn » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:32 am

I am not attempting to hijack this thread. But, since the topic is - "Graphics-Nvidia issues?Post here please.", though that it would not be inappropriate (double negative) to post this information here.

Installed the 386 32-bit and the amd64 64-bit versions of Ultimate 2.4. Installed both in separate primary partitions, ran update manager in both, and restarted each. Then, downloaded the latest nVidia drivers for 32-bit and 64-bit installations. CTRL-ALT-F2, logged in as root, ran "sudo su", then "server gdm stop". Next, installed driver for 32-bit version on the 32-bit Ultimate 2.4 installation. "server gdm start". screen refreshed, restarted computer, and everything working well. nVidia Settings available in menu.

Same process followed for 64-bit version (obviously changing to 64-bit installation and 64-bit driver. Run "server gdm start", screen refreshes, pointer (mouse cursor) frozen. Cannot do anything other than manually reboot computer. Log into Ultimate 24. 64-bit version from GRUB 1.97 beta 4 menu, and Ultimate starts, but then after I see the spinning globe, screen goes dark black, and no further activity with hard drive. Left it sitting for 15 minutes, no change. Tried various key entry combinations from keyboard, no difference. Only option, reboot computer manualy. Rinse, lather, repeat, rinse, lather repeat. NO DIFFERENCE.

Anyone have any information as to whether this problem has been addressed, or submitted as a bug? Do not believe that it is an Ultimate bug, but more likely an Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit bug.
Hackintosh OS X 10.7.2 / (WAS) Ultimate Edition 2.9 x64 (ON HOLD for 3.1/3.2)
Asus P6T, 6GB DDR3 RAM / PowerColor HD6850 Fanless GPU / Intel i7 930 CPU
1 500GB Seagate SATA-II HDD, 1 WD 2 TB Green SATA-II HDD
nesnfsn
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby chasrb » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:45 pm

Great distro, been a user since 2.0

Now I have a D630 Dell laptop x64 to use for the 2.4 x64. The problem is this: when booting from the hdd I get a quick splash then the message usplash: Setting mode 1162x864 failed
usplash: Using 1024x768

Ubunty 9.1 tty1

and the text login.

The screen is flashing and will go no further.

The distro works great in LIVE mode.

Help
Chasman
chasrb
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.0 Gamers

Postby Cell » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:49 pm

* Edit post
* Delete post
* Report this post
* Warn user
* Information

190.42 32 bit version works fine, 64 bit crashes system

Postby nesnfsn on Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:32 am
I am not attempting to hijack this thread. But, since the topic is - "Graphics-Nvidia issues?Post here please.", though that it would not be inappropriate (double negative) to post this information here.

Installed the 386 32-bit and the amd64 64-bit versions of Ultimate 2.4. Installed both in separate primary partitions, ran update manager in both, and restarted each. Then, downloaded the latest nVidia drivers for 32-bit and 64-bit installations. CTRL-ALT-F2, logged in as root, ran "sudo su", then "server gdm stop". Next, installed driver for 32-bit version on the 32-bit Ultimate 2.4 installation. "server gdm start". screen refreshed, restarted computer, and everything working well. nVidia Settings available in menu.

Same process followed for 64-bit version (obviously changing to 64-bit installation and 64-bit driver. Run "server gdm start", screen refreshes, pointer (mouse cursor) frozen. Cannot do anything other than manually reboot computer. Log into Ultimate 24. 64-bit version from GRUB 1.97 beta 4 menu, and Ultimate starts, but then after I see the spinning globe, screen goes dark black, and no further activity with hard drive. Left it sitting for 15 minutes, no change. Tried various key entry combinations from keyboard, no difference. Only option, reboot computer manualy. Rinse, lather, repeat, rinse, lather repeat. NO DIFFERENCE.

Anyone have any information as to whether this problem has been addressed, or submitted as a bug? Do not believe that it is an Ultimate bug, but more likely an Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit bug.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/444123

Does this sound the same?
-------------------------------
hardware
--------------------------------
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Ultimate Edition 2.4 Gamer Ed.
Mythbuntu 9.10
windows XP MCE remastered with Nlite
Windows 7 remastered with Vlight
----------------------------------------------------------
We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically-deGrasse Tyson
Cell
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Postby nesnfsn » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:06 pm

Not really the same. When it boots and I select UE2.4, I get the splash screen, then NADA, ZIP, NUTTIN' black screen, and no more activity on the hard drive to evidence that it is working. Cannot get anywhere or enter any commands through the keyboard.

Have to reboot, and then choose 2.4 32-bit (no problems) or MS Win XP SP3 (no problems other than normal MS issues, malware, virii, etc.). Just cannot get 24. 64 bit to work if upgrade nVidia driver to 190.42 64-bit.

Guess its like that old joke about the patient who tells his doctor it hurts when he lifts his arm up high, and the doctor tells him, "Well, don't lift your arm so high". In this case, the answer at the moment is not to upgrade the nVidia video driver to 190.42 64-bit. Hope this changes, bc the 32-bit driver is working fine on Ultimate Edition 2.4 32-bit installation.
Hackintosh OS X 10.7.2 / (WAS) Ultimate Edition 2.9 x64 (ON HOLD for 3.1/3.2)
Asus P6T, 6GB DDR3 RAM / PowerColor HD6850 Fanless GPU / Intel i7 930 CPU
1 500GB Seagate SATA-II HDD, 1 WD 2 TB Green SATA-II HDD
nesnfsn
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby kkm » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:52 am

I am having a lenovo Y 550 laptop with nVidia GeForce 240 M graphics card in it. I am using Ubuntu 9.10. I installed the graphics card driver version 190.42 from nvidia web site. I had a problem in the beginning. There in my laptop it showed 6 mini screen with same content at the same time. On searching I found out that in X configuration file we need to place -> Option "ModeValidation" "NoTotalsizecheck" in the Device section. After reboot I found that the 6 mini screen problem gone. But after logout/stand by/switching to text terminal the screen gets flickery/fuzzy. I am not able to read/see anything clearly. I have found out so many queries about this problem in net; but sadly didn't find a solution. Thanking you in advance.
kkm
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition KDE4

Postby Admin-Amir » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:24 am

Hello kkm .

Here you can find you FIX for your card:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=138205

Here are the things you need to do:

2) Download the NVidia drivers
Go there: http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

Download it and save it on a flashdrive. I'm sure you have one.

You can use the livecd if you don't have another useless computer lying around.

3) Install the drivers
Boot into recovery mode from the grub menu.

Here's the code for dummies:

Code: Select all
sudo mkdir /media/disk
# put in the flashdrive
# you can do dmesg to see the location of it.. it'll be in square brackets
# e.g. [sdb]

sudo mount /dev/sdb /media/disk
cd /media/disk

sudo sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.18.36-pkg1.run
# use tab to autocomplete the filename
# follow the installer and choose to let it configure automatically

4) Fix the 6 screen problem
Add the line to /etc/X11/xorg.conf under the Device Section where it says nvidia

Option    "ModeValidation" "NoTotalSizeCheck"

You should now have something like this:

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    Option         "ModeValidation" "NoTotalSizeCheck"  #fix 6 screen problem
EndSection

To edit the file on the commandline:

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

# add the line
# Ctrl + O to save
# Ctrl + X to exit

I mean, you *could try* doing in with the 6 screens..

5) Reboot
Just hit the power button.
Admin-Amir

Postby kkm » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:52 pm

Hi,

Thank you very much for your time and consider Admin-Amir. But I forgot to mention that I had already installed driver version 190.42 from nvidia and edited the xorg.conf file and added the -> Option "ModeValidation" "NoTotalsizecheck" to the section 'Device' like as follows

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
Option "ModeValidation" "NoTotalSizeCheck"
EndSection

After reboot my 6 screen problem gone. Now my problem is after logout/sleep/switching to text terminals, screen gets fuzzy/flickery. I am not able to see any thing. Others are having the same problem. http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthr ... ?p=2116312. I wanted to add my xorg.conf with this. But forum does not allow this. If you want that I will mail that you. Thanking you in advance
kkm
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition KDE4

Postby Admin-Amir » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:39 am

SUCCESS!! Kind of. Things are almost fully working, and working well enough. The video card driver (190.25) is now installed and I don't have the funky 6 screen problem. All graphics seem to work (i.e. desktop effects) although I haven't had time to do any deep analysis of how well the card works.

Here are the minor issues I'm still having if anyone would like to suggest a work around. I can't suspend(sleep) my computer properly. If I try to suspend, like closing the laptop lid or whatever, when I come out of sleep mode the graphics are broken. Instead of the 6 screen problem from before, now I get an extremely fuzzy screen, with the colors shaking and out of sync. If I reboot the computer everything gets fixed. Any thoughts on how I can keep this from happening, it would be nice to not have a need to shut the computer down each time I want to walk from one building to the next.

I also can't switch users without getting a really shaky and fuzzy screen. I have an account for myself and my wife, but to switch we have to shutdown the computer before logging into the other account. Rather annoying, but I can live with that. I'm hoping there might be an easy solution like refreshing or rebooting the xserver before logging into that account. Any ideas?

Along a similar vein, I can't go to the full page terminal (I don't know what its actually called) without the screen going weird. If I push ctrl+alt+F1 I get taken to the full page black/white text terminal area but everything is fuzzy and shaky. When I exit out of that and come back into gnome it remains shaky. It looks the same as switching users, so I would think any fix would take care of both these issues.

The other problem I have noticed doesn't cause me any serious headache other than its just weird. When I shut the computer down everything goes normal until it hits the splash shutdown screen, at which point the colors go out of sync and LOTS of fuzzy and shaking problems occur. Once the splash screen goes away I get presented with the 6 screens again which only have a blinking cursor for 1-2 seconds until the computer turns completely off. Any thoughts here?

THE FIX:

I decided I should include what I did just in case anyone else with the same card (GeForce GT240M) has similar issues getting it to work with Ubuntu.

1. Installed ubuntu like normal (9.04) and installed the updates with the update manager.
2. I followed the instructions on this site to install the 190.25 drivers
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-inst...epidhardy.html
3. Once they were installed I selected them and activated the driver under System >> Administration >> Hardware Drivers
4. Once they were active the computer asked for a restart. Before restarting I did the following (after writing down the instructions)
5. I pressed ctl+alt+F1 to get to the terminal
6. I stopped the xserver by typing

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

7. I then edited the xserver config file by typing (I would suggest making a backup before editing, something I didn't do)

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

8. Once in the editor I added the following line underneath the Devices section

Option   "ModeValidation" "NoTotalSizeCheck"

9. I saved the config file by pressing ctl+x and overwriting the file
10. Then I rebooted the computer and it worked.

If anyone has any advice on things I potentially did wrong or could have done better please let me know. Or if I made a glaring error in the above sequence that I forget I can change it.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be somewhat thorough. I'm still a pretty big newbie to linux, but I'm slowly getting the hang of it and loving it.

Thanks for the advice that got me this far, booting into just one account and doing normal computing works great!! and it looks wonderful.
Admin-Amir

PreviousNext

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.4