Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Brand New to UE2.3 (Intro, First Impressions, and Questions)

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.3

Re: Brand New to UE2.3 (Intro, First Impressions, and Questions)

Postby jai » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:29 am

First of all,
Welcome aboard Driver (I wonder how we were cruising without a Driver all this time :lol: ). Nice to have u here bro'.

Driver wrote:
I downloaded the Ultimate Edition 2.3 Live/Install DVD and used a program (from Windows OS) to place it on my USB stick and to make it bootable. It worked, sort of.

Use Netbootin for this purpose.
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Driver wrote:It seems to automatically log me in as a "Live User." I do not know (as of yet - I've only been playing for a few minutes) if that means that I am a root user or what.

Yes u r with root priviliges cause in LiveDVD mode u can do no harm to your system, almost.

Driver wrote:UE2.3 looks like a great distro from my limited use.

It is <BREW>

Driver wrote:First, I always set the bottom bar to auto-hide on every computer/OS that I use. But it seems to come on screen and "get stuck" there at times. I can fix it by going to Properties and unclicking Auto-Hide and then reclicking on it. I suspect this is caused somehow by Songbird as it only did it while I was playing with that program, looking in its menus and the like. Is there a way to force the Auto-Hide function of the taskbar(?) to ALWAYS work?

It always works bro'. Report this again after Unetbootin procedure. U can also try hide button setting in panel properties. Its lovely ;)

Driver wrote:Second, when I attempt to shut down it appears to be in the process of doing so - the progress bar gets most of the way filled - but then locks up and I have to hold the power button in for a few seconds. This is annoying but since I'm operating off of the USB stick I suppose it isn't hurting anything.

Yes this is a known issue (infact, not exactly an issue). When it is hung just hit enter and it will properly shutdown.

Driver wrote:Third - and this is my main problem - when I booted again, I had lost my wireless function. I believe this might be because the OS failed to keep the Broadcom driver. It didn't seem to "save" it to either my USB flash drive or my laptop's hard drive. I would like to know how to set up my flash drive so that it will be used for file storage. There is probably over four gigabytes free on it as I only have the UE2.3 "DVD" on it and it's an 8gig model. More evidence that the Broadcom driver is just not getting saved - and another annoyance - is that when I loaded Songbird again it acted like it was the first time I had run it and I had to repoint it to my music folders (on the laptop's "mostly Windows" hard drive).

LiveDVD/CD are running OS from RAM so when u shutdown everything is cleaned from RAM and when u start again it starts afresh.Thats why it is safe.

Believe me bro' u r using the right distro and in the company of very right people.

Enjoy and welcome again... <BREW>
Intel Core2Duo
Intel DG33FB board
2GB DDR2 SDRAM
320 GB SATA
Onboard Sound & Network

"I am here to learn what you know and share what I know"
Image Image
jai

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby Moebius » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:12 am

Hi Driver,
Welcome to the forum! <BREW>
In the interest of brevity, I'll keep this short... :shock: :lol:
The only addition I can make to jai's post is install Ultimate on your USB using persistant mode so that all your changes are saved when you shut down - that way everything will just work when you boot. <BREW>

Info here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent

Cheers.
GNOME 3.2.1
Oz Unity Developement (32) Kernel 15
Moebius Custom Gothic
Intel DG33FB Mainboard
Intel Core2Duo E8400
Amicroe 2 x 1Gb DDR2
WD 250Gb Sata II WD2500AAKS (O/S)
WD 500Gb Sata II WD5000AAKS (Data)
LG Super Multi DVDRW
GeForce 8600GT PCI-E 16x 512Mb 540 MHz

Ultimate Edition Australia___Ultimate Edition Israel____Ultimate Facebook
Moebius
Site Admin

Postby Moebius » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:18 am

Sorry to question but did you follow the link in my post?
If not, here it is again.. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent

Cheers.
GNOME 3.2.1
Oz Unity Developement (32) Kernel 15
Moebius Custom Gothic
Intel DG33FB Mainboard
Intel Core2Duo E8400
Amicroe 2 x 1Gb DDR2
WD 250Gb Sata II WD2500AAKS (O/S)
WD 500Gb Sata II WD5000AAKS (Data)
LG Super Multi DVDRW
GeForce 8600GT PCI-E 16x 512Mb 540 MHz

Ultimate Edition Australia___Ultimate Edition Israel____Ultimate Facebook
Moebius
Site Admin

Postby deate » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:55 am

Ok, I'm just going to put this out there for you...no offense, while your posts are entertaining, it's hard to get to the point of the questions you're asking...so that people can help you...
Start with all your system specs...including the set up you have for your router...I know it's sometimes hard to do, but let's work on 1 part of the problem at a time..and reach solutions...then move on to the next! This distro works on many "OLD" computers, not necessary to buy new parts unless they are broken... don't get frustrated, this distro likes things done in a particular order, so when someone tells you to do something, stick to the order they gave you...once you get this down, it's really easy
Try to be concise with your questions...what you've done, what didn't work, error messages if any, etc.
You'll find that most problems CAN be solved with the help you get here...but remember, as I'm reading your posts, that by the time I get to the end, I've forgotten what your question was :lol:
deate
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite

I'll Approach This Fresh (and REFRESHED)

Postby Driver » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:34 am

Ok, I'm just going to put this out there for you...no offense, while your posts are entertaining, it's hard to get to the point of the questions you're asking...so that people can help you...

Sorry about that, Chief. I hadn't realized what going without sleep for several days after only getting 2-3 hours/night for about a week had done to my mental faculties - until I was stopped by my boss from pouring a gallon of sea green (wall) paint into the 5-gallon work bucket that had a gallon of white (ceiling) paint. I stumbled through the rest of the day and went straight to bed as soon as I got home. Probably going to be up most of the night because of it, but on the balance, I can speak without sounding inebriated so it's probably a good thing.

Might as well start fresh because there has been a major change. I bit the bullet and decided to delete all the non-Vista OS stuff and install UE2.3 permanently to my computer in their place. I've finished "playing around" and have decided that the best way to really learn anything is to pick one good setup and go for it. Plus, most of my prior problems stem from not being able to write - and if I installed it, those problems would vanish.

The install process went well and it was rather nice that it took place while I was actually using the system - that's something new for me. But in so doing, it appears that I've semi-hosed my computer. The windows partitions/OS remain and I've got a brand-new 10-gig ext4 partition that seems to contain the entire UE2.3 install. I just can't actually BOOT into either of them. (Thankfully, I kept the Live USB version I made - I'm using it now.)

I got a Grub error 17. I know that I should have posted and waited on a reply since you folks are definitely THE experts but I was tired and in a hurry. So I tried to figure out a solution with Google. I made some changes that I found but I only succeeded in turning that error 17 into an error 2. At that point I stopped messing with it.

I wonder if that problem - either a messed-up MBR or one that doesn't agree with the actual physical partitions - is because I'd had Vista Premium and Mandriva Spring 2008 or 2009 installed dual-boot (ONE hard drive) with Mandriva's boot-loader which I think changes the MBR or its location and I wiped the Mandriva partitions to make room for Ultimate Edition without stopping to consider that I should have tried to find the install discs for it and looked for a way to remove its custom boot-loader and setting the MBR back to "stock."

Start with all your system specs

HP Pavilion DV6000 laptop: Intel Dual-Core CPU which is in the 17xx mHz range. On-board Intel graphics, up to 256 meg according to the properties in Windows but the Bios has choices for 64 meg or 128 meg. Can't remember the number but I think it might be 950? I can't get into my Windows OS to check the specs and I'm afraid that I don't know enough to check them in linux (yet). Broadcom on-board wireless b/g which seems to work fine with the first choice on the Hardware Installer (fwcutter?). Modem/router is a Westel 327W DSL combo version with four ethernet ports and wireless. Wirelessly, it's WEP (will change that to WPA(2?) after I get things fixed/stable. For now I don't care if someone uses my internet as long as they don't hog it. Two of the ports still work (I've moved a table over to it so I could leave it connected to the laptop for now). Bought laptop new in Feb. 2008 I believe. Main partition is NTFS Windows Vista Premium. There is also a small NTFS "HP Recovery" partition (but I guess it only helps if the system works well enough to boot - and would probably wipe everything back to new if I was able to run it anyway). It HAD two ext3 partitions (might have been called / or something else and /usr but not sure, I created it last year) and a linux swap partition of 1 gig. And the standard Mandriva boot-loader. At present it has the NTFS partitions, a 1 gig linux swap partition, and a 9.7 gig ext4 partition that I created when installing Ultimate Edition. I think I just selected / for the name and I can't remember what the partition type (logical or ???) was set at but I didn't change that option.

At the end of the installation process it said something about a disc error. I assumed that it was because it was unable to write to the USB stick but now wonder if it was because of the above MBR/partition issue.

I shut the computer down, removed the USB stick, turned it back on and got stuck at the GRUB error 17 screen. After stupidly fiddling with things it changed to an error 2.

The thing I found with google had me do an fdisk /l sudo or something (I just copied/pasted so as to not mess up (LOL)) and take one away from the number that the linux partition was numbered as and then type something with hda and that number (-1). When that didn't help I tried the other page I found and it said to do something with hda (no number this time). I had no luck again and at that point realized that instead of my partitions being listed as hda(number), that they were listed as sda(number) - so I went back and used sda. I think that might have been what changed error 17 to error 2.

don't get frustrated

Trying my best. I have (different subject matter) attempted to help people who were tired/frustrated and it generally leaves the people trying to help frustrated as well. I will attempt to keep that in mind. Also the fact that this is only a computer and that pretty much everything on it other than some old record albums from the 50s?-70s that I've digitized for Mom to play on CD in her car and the few remaining pictures that I have of my late father... everything else is replacable and not of earth-shaking importance in the greater scheme of things. And that if the worst happens and I completely ruin it, well, the library is only a 40-minute walk and I can check my email there so I shouldn't get frustrated, in a hurry, etc. It's only a thing.

Thanks for sticking around and trying to help, folks! I'll attempt to return the kindness by learning enough that one day I might be able to help others.

Try to be concise with your questions...what you've done, what didn't work, error messages if any, etc.
You'll find that most problems CAN be solved with the help you get here...but remember, as I'm reading your posts, that by the time I get to the end, I've forgotten what your question was :lol:

Trying to be concise. In looking over this post, other than the beginning and ending italicized parts I don't see anything else that could have been cut out without possibly leaving out the one thing that would cause someone to see exactly what my problem is. One of the problems with not knowing anything is not knowing what's important.

I DID remove the paragraph about how I had to stop working on this post to catch the BAT that somehow got inside and scared the daylights out of me :lol: - you folks don't need to read things like that. So there might be hope for this humble one yet :?:

I was told by a non-expert linux user on another site, "I had the same non-boot problem when I installed an OS dual-boot. Just reinstall your second OS and it'll fix it." I may try that since all it will cost me is time. Or I might wait. At worst I guess it'll go back to GRUB error 17 instead of 2.
Driver
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby Moebius » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:47 am

Hi Driver,
Good to see you're using Google to try to help yourself. <BREW> Your post though, has caused the issue of not knowing what it is exactly that you have tried - so if I double-up a suggestion that you may already have tried, I apologise in advance. :)

I would initially assume that Grub has either not installed correctly or has somehow become corrupted. I would boot from the U.E DVD in live mode and then try to repair or reinstall Grub:

1. Boot from a Live CD, like Ultimate Edition, Ubuntu Live, Knoppix, Mepis, or similar. Ideally use Ubuntu 8.04 or higher as this has NTFS write support and makes life a bit easier; this isn't necessary, just handy.

2. Open a Terminal. Open a root terminal (that is, type "su" in a non-Ubuntu distro, or "sudo -i" in Ubuntu). Enter root passwords as necessary.

3. Type "grub" which makes a GRUB prompt appear.

4. Type "find /boot/grub/stage1". You'll get a response like "(hd0)" or in my case "(hd0,3)". Use whatever your computer spits out for the following lines. Note that you should have mounted the partition which has your Linux system before typing this command. (e.g. In Knoppix Live CD partitions are shown on the desktop but they're not mounted until you double-click on them or mount them manually)

5. Type "root (hd0,3)" note the space between root and (hd0,3).

6. Type "setup (hd0,3)". This is key. Other instructions say to use "(hd0)", and that's fine if you want to write GRUB to the MBR. If you want to write it to your linux root partition, then you want the number after the comma, such as "(hd0,3)".

7. Type "quit"

If this doesn't help, I'm sure we'll find something that will. :)
Moebius
Site Admin

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.3