Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Ugh, please help a newb get his sound working-[SOLVED]

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.2

Ugh, please help a newb get his sound working-[SOLVED]

Postby ThinkEntropy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:59 pm

Let me preface this post by saying that this is my first experience using Linux, let alone Ubuntu, so please be gentle. /Total/ newbie here...

I installed a fresh copy of Ultimate 2.2 and everything went smoothly. However, so far as I can tell I have absolutely no sound. I've gone ahead and checked every volume knob, mute button, or other configurator that would otherwise limit sound output to no avail. I've also verified that my sound car is recognized, and drivers are installed. Strangely, I recall sound working while I was running the live CD?!?

I spent the past two days or so Googling what may be wrong with my sound, and every guide I've followed to restore sound has not fixed the issue. Part of this is my fault since I don't have a solid grasp of what's going on! From what I gathered from the procedures I followed, they basically had me installing the drivers for the Alsa Mixer and Pulse Audio? I'm not very comfortable using the terminal so I've more or less blindly followed others instructions.

So here I am with a fresh install; my first experience with Linux and I can't get the darn thing to output sound. Everything else works great, and I'm so excited to get this working so I can start exploring what this OS has to offer! Any help would be infinitely appreciated!!!

I'm using an Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe Mobo with SoundMAX ADI AD1988B integrated sound. If any other hardware specs are needed I'll be happy to fill in the blanks. Thanks for the help folks...
ThinkEntropy
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 32 BIT

Re: Ugh, please help a newb get his sound working!

Postby Admin-Amir » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:10 pm

Hello ThinkEntropy and welcome to the U.E Forum.

First go to Synaptic and un install those 2 packages:

Pulse Audio.
Pulse Audio Gstreamer.

Then set your Mixer from=>System=>Preferences=>Sound to work with alsa sound Mixer.
Go to your speaker Icon up right bar=>left click on the Icon see that is not mute.
Go to your speaker Icon up right bar=>right click on the speaker=>Open Volume control.
screenshot_002.png

please let us know what is situation, after this changes Restart your machine.
Admin-Amir

Postby ThinkEntropy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:48 pm

First off, THANK YOU for your assistance and the warm welcome Admin-Amir! <BREW>

Okay, I opened Synaptic and completely removed PulseAudio. However, I did not see a PulseAudio Gstreamer listed. Is that okay?

I went ahead and followed the rest of your instructions, and the only other thing that caught my eye was that my volume control didn't look quite the same as yours (which I may have inadvertently screwed up earlier, lol):

Anyhow, I applied your indicated changes and restarted the computer but still no sound. I appreciate your help sir!
Attachments
alsamixer.png
ThinkEntropy
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Admin-Amir » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:57 pm

ThinkEntropy you welcome.

Now what I will ask you to do is to upload for me more screen shots on the places
That I have marked for you on the screen.
Firs see if you have on Device the the HDA alsa-alsa Mixer.
Then tell me if you have marked all the card option under the Preferences.
Please upload those screen shots for me.
alsamixer.png

Thank you
Amir.
Admin-Amir

Postby ThinkEntropy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:18 pm

Okay, hopefully I've uploaded the screens that you were looking for.

The device selected in the Volume Control is in fact HDA NVidia (Alsa mixer)

sound_theme.png
Sound Theme Screen

preferences.png
Preferences
ThinkEntropy
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Admin-Amir » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:23 pm

ThinkEntropy

Please mark all the option in you sound card:

preferences.png

All the box's to fill=Enable.
then show me please all other option on the Mixer.
All the marked option I need to see please,upload them for me.
sound_theme.png
Admin-Amir

Postby ThinkEntropy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:29 pm

Ah I see, sorry about that. Running a quick errand, but will return shortly with the requisite screenies.

Thank you again for helping me with this!
ThinkEntropy
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Admin-Amir » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:35 pm

ThinkEntropy

That's way we here for ;)
It's O.K go I'M here and the Team are here to help you.
Admin-Amir

Postby ThinkEntropy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:04 pm

Okay, I hope I didn't miss anything, but please let me know if I did. The only screen shot that I wasn't able to capture was of the devices drop-down box. When I click on the menu to display the available devices it wouldn't allow me to take a screen shot. The only other option available in that field is the "Analog Devices AD1988 (OSS mixer)." The other screen shots are below. Thanks as always!

Edit: Well this is embarrassing. I'm not exactly sure how or why, but my sound works now. It must have been something you had me futz with that restored the sound, but I'm not sure what it was exactly. Regardless, I can't thank you enough for taking the time to help walk me through all of this. This forum seems to be an incredible resource for people like myself that are trying to get away from Microsoft, and I thank you for your valuable assistance! I'll stick around to see if I can learn a thing or two from you guys. Cheers!! <BREW>
Attachments
fully_checked_card.png
Everything checked "on"
playback.png
Playback tab
recording.png
Recording tab
switches.png
Switches tab
options.png
Options tab
ThinkEntropy
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Admin-Amir » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:31 am

ThinkEntropy

You very welcome here Friend.
And thank you for the share of problem and solve. <BREW> ;)

Thank you
Amir.
Admin-Amir

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.2