Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Ugh, please help a newb get his sound working-[SOLVED]

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.2

Re: Ugh, please help a newb get his sound working-[SOLVED]

Postby ThinkEntropy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:21 pm

Let me state that I do not wish to simply rely on the fine folks here offering support. I'd like to understand why I'm having these issues so I can be self-sufficient, but so far for the life of me I can't figure these two sound problems out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Aside from my sound issues, I'm totally enamored with Ubunutu <BREW>

I think part of my previous sound problem stemmed from this current issue. Basically, when I open media that includes sound (mp3, avi, flash, etc.), sometimes I'll get sound, and sometimes I won't. What I've noticed is that I typically lose sound just after an audio or video file has ended. For instance, if I'm listening to a playlist, the player will play several tracks, and when it skips to the next one there's no more sound. This problem seems random (it isn't repeatable so far as I can tell) and I've verified that this isn't something silly like my volume being turned down. I've had this problem with varying formats and players, so I don't think this is a limited to one program.

I think the reason why my sound 'magically' appeared as I noted in my last post was because the sound was going in and out. That's why I couldn't figure out exactly which of Amir's suggestions restored the sound.

Anyway, since I'm learning, my thinking was to setup a fresh Ubuntu install on another partition and setup the sound from scratch. I really don't understand the difference between like OSS, Alsa, and Pulseaudio, and I feel like if I setup the sound (as opposed to have Ultimate Edition do it for me) I'll actually learn what the heck is going on. Good idea or bad?

I also have an issue with the sound quality, but maybe I should start by getting the sound to work all of the time first :lol:
ThinkEntropy
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 32 BIT

Postby Admin-Amir » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:05 pm

Hello ThinkEntropy.

you can download my Guide for multimedia from the 2.4 Forum,
That will work just fine for 2.2-2.3 and you will get the Audio Video to work for you.
The Guide to not cover the 2.4 - the 2.4 can work with 2 sound server at the same session :o
yes that is correct.

actually learn what the heck is going on. Good idea or bad?

well you tell the Team what is it Good or bad if we give you the support and the solution
for your problems :roll:
Admin-Amir

Postby ThinkEntropy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:38 pm

Thanks Amir, I'll start by downloading and reading your guide. Thank you for the suggestion.
ThinkEntropy
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 32 BIT

Previous

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.2