Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

new video card

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.2

new video card

Postby billhedrick » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:11 pm

OK got a bright shiny new ASUS NVIDIA Geforce 8400 (EN8400GS) to replace my old Radeon ATI X300.
My board (MSI E7125) should support this, it's a PCI express X16 and the manual says it supports this. But So far both Ultimate Edition(2.2) and XP choke on startup. It was suggested I uninstall the Radeon Driver and in stand the NVIDIA drivers in XP before I installed the card, and I think I will have to try that. But the video in my XP startup just didn't show up, and when I did a verbose load in Ultimate Edition, the load got so far and hung up.

This is a bit of a stopgap as I will be getting a new mobo when money loosens up. I am going to try the software install with the old board tonight. I will post my success/failure later.
billhedrick
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Re: new video card

Postby razy60 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:18 pm

Hi i have the same card mine being the pny version, Have you reset your bios for the card, if your mobo has onboard graphics use that to get rid of ATI then load up nvidia when you have the card in place,
I found that the cleanest thing to do was reload Ultimate Edition with the card in place.

Raz
O/S; U.E 2.6 64 bit, OSX, xp pro, Windows 7 64 bit
Mobo: Asus P6t
cpu, Intel i7 920
ram, 4Gb DDR3 G Skill 1600 ripjaw
lan, realtek rtl8211b
sound, realtek 1200 hd + ati Hd audio
gpu, Asus EAH 5870 1Gb
HDD, OCZ Vertex 2 60GB ssd(OS) 2 x 250 GB(in raid0 for progs) 2x 1TB samsung (storage)
Wireless keyboard Logitek wave
Mouse: Microsoft X8 sidewinder
Display: sharp 42" lcd 1080p tv via hdmi
Laptop:
Dell studio 1557 7 pro x64& Ultimate Edition 2.7 32bit
i7 720 multi core cpu
4GB 1333mhz ram
INtel 5300 agn 802.11n wifi adaptor
Ati radeon HD 4570 512mb gpu
320GB 7200 HDD
1920x1080 screen
1x low opinion of this laptop
razy60
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby TexasMike » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:32 pm

billhedrick,
You need to put the old video card back into the system, insure it is bootable and useable in both XP and Ultimate Edition 2.x. After you have done this you will need to remove the ATI drivers completely from both XP and Ultimate Edition 2.x. Reboot once more to XP and it should be working of the "generic" Windows video driver - DO NOT alow windows to "find and install" any specific video drivers on the reboot - it may go into the "New Hardware Found" routine, and try to get the correct drivers. If so, just cancel the action untill you are back to the desktop.
Reboot into Ultimate Edition and make sure you remove the "Restricted Driver" for the ATI card, too.
I'm not sure if you will need to use apt-get purge package-name (where package-name is the actual full package name for the ATI driver) in Ultimate Edition to completely remove the restricted driver, but it would probably be a good idea, as this insures you remove the actual program but it's config files, too. The actual ATI filename can be found by looking in the /var/cache/apt/archives/ folder for a filename similar to this: nvidia-settings_180.25-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb but containing ati in the name.
After you are sure the drivers are gone in XP and Ultimate Edition, then shutdown the PC, remove the ATI card, install the nVidia card, reboot to XP, install the nVidia drivers/software and reboot to verify it is working correctly. If all goes well with XP, then reboot into Ultimate Edition, check for any updates via Synaptic, or via command line (apt-get update), install any updates found, reboot once more, then use System>Administration>Hardware Drivers to install the appropriate nVidia driver software (see screenshot below). You should end up with a working nVidia card in XP and Ultimate Edition.
Let us know if you encounter any difficulties, and myself or some other Mod/Admin will jump in and help get them resolved.

Screenshot.png
nVidia Hardware Driver selection...
Shop PC:
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX TUF (The Ultimate Force) R2.0
CPU: AMD FX 9370 @ 4.4GHz Bulldozer Eight Core Black Edition
Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengance Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz
Video: ATI 7770HD GHZ Edition 2GB PCIe 3.0
Hard Drives: Seagate 2TB, Seagate 500GB, Maxtor 500GB
SSD Drives: OCZ-Vertex4 128GB, Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB
DVD Drive: Plextor PX-L890SA
Power Suipply: RaidMax Modular 1200Watt

Home:
Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3
CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3ghZ
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
Video: nVdia GTX650
Drives:1TB SATAIII, 2ea 500GB SATAIII,
SSD: Samsung EV840 mSATa 250GB
CD/DVD: Plextor PL-890SA
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster T260
MultiBoot OS: Ultimate Edition 3.4.2x64, 4.2x64-Lite, WIN7x64, WIN8.1x64
Power Supply: Corsair 850Watt
TexasMike
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby billhedrick » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:17 pm

Thanks Texas Mike! I tried that and no love from the video card yet, I removed the XP ATI drivers, and your method didn't really work as there weren't the equivilant ATI deb file. I went to synaptic and trashed all the ATI drivers. I then rebooted and it did reboot into windows, it didn't try to reinstall so I might have missed something. But then I tossed the NVIDIA card in and it did the same thing, hung before I got the splash screens of either windows or Ultimate Edition. I am going to do some more puttering tomorrow, but I suspect that the card isn't 100% compatible with my mobo.
billhedrick
Site Admin

Postby Cell » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:18 pm

You might have to edit your xorg.config file to use the vesa driver.

Look in(under root) /ect/x11 you should find the file.Open the file,and see where it says driver under the vidoe stuff?Edit it to say vesa.Or you can reference to the nvidia thread in the 2.3 forum and see if it helps.

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=3503&start=10
-------------------------------
hardware
--------------------------------
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Ultimate Edition 2.4 Gamer Ed.
Mythbuntu 9.10
windows XP MCE remastered with Nlite
Windows 7 remastered with Vlight
----------------------------------------------------------
We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically-deGrasse Tyson
Cell
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Postby billhedrick » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:27 am

Update on the windows "dance" It was definitely using generic drivers after I removed the ATI driver and installed the NVIDIA card. When I rebooted it that way it got to bios screen, and through grub. When I chose XP, it gave me the safe mode option, when I made my choice, it thought about it for a moment, and the video went away, I didn't get to the Windows Splash screen. I've tried live disks of various kinds and they crash out at the point where it should load video drivers. I haven't got to loading the new drivers in XP, but as I stated earlier, I am beginning to think my old 939 board isn't quite compatible with the new card.
billhedrick
Site Admin

Postby billhedrick » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:33 am

yup I think that's it, the board I have is PCI express 1.0a compliant, I think that the current standard is 1.1 at the minimum. Well, I like the specs on this board and I think I will keep it for the next upgrade, when I get my system up to 2009 standards (I might get this done before 2010)
billhedrick
Site Admin

Postby Admin-Amir » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:07 am

Hello billhedrick .

I think there is another attempt to try one for review.
Disconnect the main power cable from the computer.
Remove the backup battery board.
Remove the Jumper near the BIOS and Return.
Take one wire telephone cable - white or blue,
Length of 10 cm, Discover the strings on both sides.
connect the wire in bout sides of the battery for just 7 seconds!! not more.

Then, return the battery to the place,
Connect the power cable to the main computer.
Start your computer,insert the BIOS change the settings of your computer,
in the BOOT save and EXIT.
and please tell me what happens.
Admin-Amir

Postby billhedrick » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:06 pm

Boy I do NOT trust my skillz that much! I found their live updater on the MSI website, I am going to try to update the bios and firmware before I fry my mobo.
billhedrick
Site Admin

Postby Admin-Amir » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:22 pm

I respect that.
Can you just unplug the main power supply,
And take the jumper near the BIOS out and return the - jumper.
then plug back the power supply,and restart the machine?
Admin-Amir

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.2