Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Cannot activate Compiz, days spent trying-[SOLVED]

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.2

Re: Cannot activate Compiz, days spent trying

Postby Vincente » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:31 am

Cell wrote:Look up ;) I edited does it look like what I added?

Either way if the live disk works fine,and after a install vesa should be running....if you can't log in then something is goofy.

Not sure I follow you on this. I tired, quite a while back using the Ultimate Edition liveDVD and instruction from Ubuntu Jaunty on how to, stopping short of re-installation, repair boot process, did not work for me as choices that should been there (according to the book) weren't. It seems now that since I can see a grub screen, then my grub is OK, the problem seems to be "Failed to start xserver...it is likely that it is not set up correctly..." My last go-round with Moebius, I got a bunch of text about "no screens found"---does that mean no resolution settings.

I haven't (knowingly) changed anything. The only changes made were when Amir had me make changes to Tweak Ubuntu and then several pages of code flew by faster than I could keep track, but I did see a lot of installation/reinstallation of compiz. When that whole thing completed, I shut down and rebooted and for the first time got the "failed to start xserver window" which, every since, no matter what I try, keeps coming back. I can tell you that trying code such as: sudo dpkg-reconfigure server-xorg and sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg, ....everytime I would enter these, system stated no such command, or command not found or words to that effect.

If, as Moebius believes my grub is OK, then as a result of trying to reconfigure Tweak Ubuntu, I must have caused some incompatibility that might be beyond us to ever figure out. Already I am embarrassed to have dragged this thing out to the extent it has become. Shame, because other than being to get compiz, I had my Ultimate Edition 2.2 customized just the way I wanted it and it was working so well. Grass is always greener, should have been willing to accept Ultimate Edition without compiz.
[color=#0040FF]1) ZotacION 64bit
* New ZOTAC ION platforms
* NVIDIA ION mGPU
* 16 stream processors
* Integrated Intel Atom N330 (dual-core) processors
* 533 MHz front-side bus
* HDMI (w/7.1-channel Audio), DVI and VGA outputs
* HDCP compliant
* 2 DDR2 DIMM slots 4GB
* DDR2-667/800 compatible
* Up to 8GB of DDR2 memory
* Integrated DC-DC power supply
* Included 19V AC/DC power brick
* Integrated 802.11n WiFi
* Mini PCI Express slot
* Microsoft DirectX 10 and OpenGL 2.1 compatible
* WD "Green" 500GB sata HD
Plextor sata slot DVD burner
dedicated Ultimate Edition 2.2(both computers)

computer 2)
Intel DG45FC mini-ITX 64bit
Chipset Intel G45
CPU E8500
4GB Memory
500GB Barracuda sata HD
Mitsubishi Diamond Digital 32" monitors, both computers, 16 x 9
Vincente
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 32 BIT

Postby Cell » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:33 am

Another option an old grumpy man told me was this...

when you get to the bootloader(where you choose which kernel-you have to be quick here you only have a few seconds) hit Esc. Then e to edit and add one of these settings to the end of the kernel line i.e.VGA=769 save and boot!! Try the lowest one first and work your way up. This should load the Vesa video driver and give you a desktop.
640x480 800x600 1024x768 1280x1024 1600x1200
8 bits vga=769 vga=771 vga=773 vga=775 vga=796
16 bits vga=785 vga=788 vga=791 vga=794 vga=798
32 bits vga=786 vga=789 vga=792 vga=795 vga=799
-------------------------------
hardware
--------------------------------
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Ultimate Edition 2.4 Gamer Ed.
Mythbuntu 9.10
windows XP MCE remastered with Nlite
Windows 7 remastered with Vlight
----------------------------------------------------------
We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically-deGrasse Tyson
Cell
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Postby Moebius » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:46 am

O.K. Lets try this. ;)
Reboot PC - in Grub choose recovery (15)
Next menu, choose root
type the following:
sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf (capitals are important!!!)
You will now have a black screen with white writing on it. The writing you will see is actually your xorg.conf file. We will make some changes here. Using your arrow keys, scroll down until you see an entry which says:

Section "Device"
Identifier "configured video device"

Now move your cursor to the line under Identifier "........" and hit enter twice, it will move the rest of the text down the screen and create 2 new blank lines for you to enter the following: (dont forget to use your arrow keys to move back up to the first blank line you created)

Driver "vesa"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"

Once done, press the CTRL key and x on your keyboard to exit, then Y for yes, then hit enter.

Now restart your PC. Please tell me you have your desktop back....
GNOME 3.2.1
Oz Unity Developement (32) Kernel 15
Moebius Custom Gothic
Intel DG33FB Mainboard
Intel Core2Duo E8400
Amicroe 2 x 1Gb DDR2
WD 250Gb Sata II WD2500AAKS (O/S)
WD 500Gb Sata II WD5000AAKS (Data)
LG Super Multi DVDRW
GeForce 8600GT PCI-E 16x 512Mb 540 MHz

Ultimate Edition Australia___Ultimate Edition Israel____Ultimate Facebook
Moebius
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby Cell » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:48 am

Already I am embarrassed to have dragged this thing out to the extent it has become. Shame, because other than being to get compiz, I had my Ultimate Edition 2.2 customized just the way I wanted it and it was working so well. Grass is always greener, should have been willing to accept Ultimate Edition without compiz

No worries. ;)

Your grub is fine if you don't get grub errors.I'm not sure what the app in ubuntu tweak is or does...never used it.Your problem is x is broken.Once we get it working again then we can start thinking about compiz.I did some research,and saved some pages for when you get to that point.
-------------------------------
hardware
--------------------------------
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Ultimate Edition 2.4 Gamer Ed.
Mythbuntu 9.10
windows XP MCE remastered with Nlite
Windows 7 remastered with Vlight
----------------------------------------------------------
We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically-deGrasse Tyson
Cell
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Postby Vincente » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:09 am

Moebius wrote:O.K. Lets try this. ;)
Next menu, choose root
type the following:
You will now have a black screen with white writing on it. The writing you will see is actually your xorg.conf file. We will make some changes here. Using your arrow keys, scroll down until you see an entry which says:

Section "Device"

Now move your cursor to the line under Identifier "........" and hit enter twice, it will move the rest of the text down the screen and create 2 new blank lines for you to enter the following: (dont forget to use your arrow keys to move back up to the first blank line you created)

Driver "vesa"

Once done, press the CTRL key and x on your keyboard to exit, then Y for yes, then hit enter.

*********************************************************************************
no, it didn't work, I KNOW I did exactly as you have the above instruction laid out, at the end when I did CTRL & x and the Y and then enter, nothing happened, it went back to pulsating cursor after john-ZotacION login in. I didn't know what to do, so I shut down and restarted. The "failed to start xserver came right back"??? so I tried to do it again, exactly as you have directed. This time the Driver "vesa" and the BusID "PCI 1:0:0" were in place, but in the two lines I created, they are placed between Section "Device" and Identifier. Is that right? This time CTRL x did not work nor bring up the Y, N choice, just the same as last time, john-ZotacION login in with pulsating cursor. Did I screw this up.....I don't think so, I don't see how I could have done it any other way. If I was not working between computers, I could copy and send what it looks like, let me, I felt this time we would get it.....thanks
* NVIDIA ION mGPU
* 16 stream processors
* 533 MHz front-side bus
* HDCP compliant
* 2 DDR2 DIMM slots 4GB
* Mini PCI Express slot

computer 2)
Chipset Intel G45
CPU E8500
4GB Memory
500GB Barracuda sata HD
Vincente
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby Vincente » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:22 am

Vincente wrote:
Moebius wrote:O.K. Lets try this. ;)
Next menu, choose root
type the following:

Section "Device"

Driver "vesa"

*********************************************************************************
no, it didn't work, I KNOW I did exactly as you have the above instruction laid out, at the end when I did CTRL & x and the Y and then enter, nothing happened, it went back to pulsating cursor after john-ZotacION login in. I didn't know what to do, so I shut down and restarted. The "failed to start xserver came right back"??? so I tried to do it again, exactly as you have directed. This time the Driver "vesa" and the BusID "PCI 1:0:0" were in place, but in the two lines I created, they are placed between Section "Device" and Identifier. Is that right? This time CTRL x did not work nor bring up the Y, N choice, just the same as last time, john-ZotacION login in with pulsating cursor. Did I screw this up.....I don't think so, I don't see how I could have done it any other way. If I was not working between computers, I could copy and send what it looks like, let me, I felt this time we would get it.....thanks

******************************************************************************************************************
OK, I went back deleted the two lines with Driver & BusID and re-did it. Now what I have is as follows:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured video device"
Driver "vesa"
EndSection

this time did the CTRL-x, Y for yes, but what came up is a wide white line with the following in black letters:
File Name to Write: /etc/X11/xorg.conf (then pulsating cursor mark) it seems to want something put in there, but I don't know what, this is what happened last time and I did a CTRL ALT Delete to reboot and get out. I will leave this running in the event you get back to me with an "exit strategy"
* NVIDIA ION mGPU
* 16 stream processors
* 533 MHz front-side bus
* HDCP compliant
* 2 DDR2 DIMM slots 4GB
* Mini PCI Express slot

computer 2)
Chipset Intel G45
CPU E8500
4GB Memory
500GB Barracuda sata HD
Vincente
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby Moebius » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:25 am

Vincente wrote:This time the Driver "vesa" and the BusID "PCI 1:0:0" were in place, but in the two lines I created, they are placed between Section "Device" and Identifier. Is that right?

Hi Vincente,
Almost!
Driver "vesa" and BusID "PCI 1:0:0" must appear after Identifier. Try again, and use your up and down arrow keys to get you to the right spot, Delete the offending lines from the wrong location and retype them in a line beneath Identifier. Once done, Ctrl-x, then Y then enter. (and then restart the PC :oops: ). Just to explain, the reason you didn't get the same result the second time you opened xorg.conf with the CTRL-x bit was because you didn't make any changes - so it didn't ask to save anything.

Now lets see how this attempt goes - Good Luck! ;)
GNOME 3.2.1
Moebius Custom Gothic
Intel DG33FB Mainboard
Intel Core2Duo E8400
Amicroe 2 x 1Gb DDR2
LG Super Multi DVDRW

Moebius
Site Admin

Postby Moebius » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:27 am

Vincente wrote:this time did the CTRL-x, Y for yes, but what came up is a wide white line with the following in black letters:
File Name to Write: /etc/X11/xorg.conf (then pulsating cursor mark) it seems to want something put in there, but I don't know what, this is what happened last time and I did a CTRL ALT Delete to reboot and get out. I will leave this running in the event you get back to me with an "exit strategy"

This is where you hit enter - enter to accept overwriting the file name.
GNOME 3.2.1
Moebius Custom Gothic
Intel DG33FB Mainboard
Intel Core2Duo E8400
Amicroe 2 x 1Gb DDR2
LG Super Multi DVDRW

Moebius
Site Admin

Postby Admin-Amir » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:34 am

O.K here is one more way to do it.

Press Alt-F2 and type
Code: Select all
gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

<sudo cp -i /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak> The -i option means it will prompt you if you are overwriting an existing file. You don't want to do that either by mistake. Then if you need to restore it, you just do:
<sudo cp -i /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak /etc/X11/xorg.conf> This will then ask you if you want to overwrite the existing xorg.conf, in which case you answer "y" since you are restoring the backup.

The quick answer… press Ctrl+Alt+F2 or similar to log into a TTY console, or type ‘init 3? into a root X terminal. If you haven’t already, log in as root and kill X or type ‘init 3? if you want to be heavy handed. Then run:

X -configure
mv ~/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

xorg.config in two commands. Run the ‘init 5? command to get back to your GUI login (or kdm or gdm or startx, etc if you know what you are doing. Worst case remove the .conf and restart.)

If you are advanced enough to edit an xorg.conf, the above should be a cakewalk and you shouldn’t complain about it.

Regardless, you should investigate ‘xrandr’ which makes it simple to do runtime adjustments.
Admin-Amir

Postby Vincente » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:37 am

Moebius wrote:
Vincente wrote:This time the Driver "vesa" and the BusID "PCI 1:0:0" were in place, but in the two lines I created, they are placed between Section "Device" and Identifier. Is that right?

Hi Vincente,
Almost!
Driver "vesa" and BusID "PCI 1:0:0" must appear after Identifier. Try again, and use your up and down arrow keys to get you to the right spot, Delete the offending lines from the wrong location and retype them in a line beneath Identifier. Once done, Ctrl-x, then Y then enter. (and then restart the PC :oops: ). Just to explain, the reason you didn't get the same result the second time you opened xorg.conf with the CTRL-x bit was because you didn't make any changes - so it didn't ask to save anything.

Now lets see how this attempt goes - Good Luck! ;)

Moebius, they ARE after Identifier, I did as you said, the line below Identifer, hit enter twice, got two blank lines between that and End Section, went back and filled them in, my example to you shows this. The line with Identifier has several horizontal spaces and then"Configured Video Device" but it moves as one line.
so again, here is what I have got:

Section Device
Identifier.................."Configured Video Device"
Vesa
BusID
End Section
* NVIDIA ION mGPU
* 16 stream processors
* 533 MHz front-side bus
* HDCP compliant
* 2 DDR2 DIMM slots 4GB
* Mini PCI Express slot

computer 2)
Chipset Intel G45
CPU E8500
4GB Memory
500GB Barracuda sata HD
Vincente
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable