Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Utopic Unicorn 14.10 Adventure

Love it, hate it drop posts here
Forum rules
Comments or opinions expressed on this forum are those of their respective contributors only. The views expressed on this forum do not necessarily represent the views of Ultimate Edition, its management or employees. Ultimate Edition is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to the forum.

Re: Utopic Unicorn 14.10 Adventure

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:05 pm

Okay am back and still a bit confused, but do have a way out for anyone suffering the pangs of ubiquity-frontend-gtk. This is where I am suffering and went ahead and uninstalled ubiquity, then re-installed with kde since gtk is not responding. There is a remote possibility, is a small error in the gtk-2.0 file I have been readjusting for current Cyana-3D theme I am so keen on and enjoy at present. Although, I have gotten Ubiquity to come up, I have not yet installed the OS even to Virtual box since I did not have set for size of this OS. As said OS is to take up about 28gigs of hard drive space so is going to be a fairly big OS. I am considering a test on the laptop tomorrow to see how things will go with it. Also will get this gtk-2.0 error fixed soon. Gnome and its perfection, just does not leave any room for errors. I used to get away with some of my mistakes, but seems with this version is relentless and ungiving whatsoever! Anyway just hope this may help others. I also hope anyone building will also add to these posts and let us all know if they are experiencing this type of error. If not, will just continue on my investigation as I am more of a gtk fan and really am not into KDE much at all. Just does not appeal to me as much as all the other desktops due to layouts. Remember none of this is meant to offend those that love KDE. We all have different tastes, which also leads to making this world so interesting and exciting.
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:55 am

Last night I wrote about installing this 14.10 on my laptop, well am there. Another funny thing as always have to mention how great TheeMahn's thumbos is, that was done in about 7 minutes. OS about tripled that time on install, so to me is hilarious as TheeMahn's OS is just a total diamond and you better believe I will never forget that in any OS I build. Okay, so with that said let's continue on with more learning of Gnome 3.14 and 14.10.

After installation, I find out pipelight refuses to work. I did all the permissions on install but something futzes up in a update notification file which then prevents all from working properly. So, looks like we are all out of luck to have pipelight working out of the box as I did with 13.10. For most may not matter unless you want to be watching all those netflix movies, but for me is very important as my job depends on me using Jet. So, I uninstall(remove completely) all related to pipelight. I re-install then have to go through all the permissions and time for things to download. Of course works. Now for an added bonus, when I clicked on JET, firefox asked me to okay using all. First I thought was a pain, but now come to find out I will no longer have to exit two other screens to get to my JET Calendar, which is great.

Now for a major commendation to Gnome. Congratulations, you have conquered the scrollbar problem in laptops, my hat is off to you forever. At first, I thought my scrollbars were gone, then when I scrolled over while touching left touchpad button, presto is there but not zooming up and down fast as it did with 3.10 I had. So am very happy on that fix. As always seems like 10 months in Ubuntu is the equivalent of 2 or more years with those XBOX Boys.

Of course Gnome 3.14 is driving me crazy with all the changes for theming and imagine I may come close to getting things right for it in a month or two. With not much up on Gnome-look for it at present, most likely others are going to be fumbling also to get things correct for it. Ah the joys of change. I spent months to perfect the active window on the lower menubar lighting up in green, now only the rim of it lights up which is barely noticeable, not good for me or others. This will mean if others do not use extremely bright color, will not be noticed at all. I also have to boo Gnome on their negligence to fix the lower menubar transparency issue. Have to explain this. Now whenever there is any pressure, for instance wine engaging for JET, lower menubar transforms from transparent to dark. This has been going on for every version of Gnome and goes on unfixed and neglected. Am hoping one day one of those guys will take care of this, would be nice.

Sundry menu heading, goodbye and good ridance. Not necessary and 99% of the population has no clue what that word means, I, myself had to look it up when it first appeared in 3.10. Am happy to say is gone now and personally I will not miss it. Besides, who would ever think to look for dconf in Sundry when it should be in System Tools, right? I am also very happy Gnome Boxes has left the Internet category on the menu and went to its proper place in System Tools also. Bravo for getting that right.

Remember, all this is a first run, not totally completed OS yet. Oh, guess even exiting LibreOffice also turns that menubar black so is worse than ever. Hmm, maybe this is why they wanted to scrap fallback/flashback cause no one wants to fix things? Other than that I have not seen any performance issues with that desktop so is sweet. So far Cheese doesn't work, but when I scraped Ubuntu desktop I probably destroyed it so will have to fix it. Yes, found out missing dependencies, ah the joys of dumping that ugly desktop for a pretty one. Least canorama works and to be honest, I use that one more on the Laptop anyway. So far, I am having a problem with the laptop shutting off or even in virtualbox but believe is information I need to add for one of these programs. Can't win everything, right?

Have loads of testing to do with Gotham(14.10 and 3.14 Gnome Desktop) so am going to run for now. Just figured above information may be useful to those building or contemplating.
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:02 am

Have a major bug and is called not wanting to shutdown or reboot, so unless I can get this solved, am going to quit on this build and stay with 13.10. Have searched around and seems is a problem Ubuntu is denying at present. I simply refuse to continually hit power buttons to turn an OS off, does not work for me. This is an issue going on since 14.04 and needs to be addressed properly.

Since I have started building Ubuntu's the same problem has existed for reiser4 and still does. I mean, by now you would think someone would be working on a fix for this. After all, now if you wind up installing reiser4 you wind up with that file system working, but half of your system will not work since is reliant on libreadline-dev. Reiser4 depends on libreadline-gplv2-dev. I mean you think one of these Poyn Dexter's would think about adding this functionality so your system will function and you can also have reiser4 file system installed. Nope, I guess is better to mess things up instead of fix them up.

While I am writing this have just switch to libreadline6-dev which is native for 14.10. I mean without it apport is trashed, so if you want to do any retrace, forget about it. Funny thing about Linux is you can install anything. Of course that does not mean it will work. Someone needs to come up with something that is going to say "Hey wait a minute, you install that, you have to have this" instead it gets installed and idiots like me expect the program to work. I suppose that is what we are all considered if we do not know by heart and name every single dependency an OS requires.

I suppose I was pretty stupid to expect 14.10 to be improved over 13.10. Right now my opinion is really bad on this OS. Also does not carry well for 14.04 since I saw the same shutdown problem. I mean, does Linux now expect us all to keep our computers on 24/7??? They must if they now take away that feature. Is a real drag over here as I have been through quite a few remedies and nothing solves it.
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:57 pm

Spent all day yesterday to no avail to get this 14.10 to shut down. Follow so many different posts of problems and some solutions from 11.04 to 14.10 and all rendered no success. If you remember a few days ago I was talking about trying to jump from 13.10(My Ravenswood) to 14.10. That proved fatal last night destroying the entire deal in about an hour. So, never go that route as does not work. Least on an OS of that size. Have to remember Ravenswood sits at 3.9gigs which is close to twice the size TheeMahn usually creates these days. Also will admit, a certain percentage of it is more brag that useful to me. I do like to show off things Linux can do. Sure, I may have disgust in some things Linux does, but no one will ever be completely satisfied with any OS out there, since we are not all the same.

With that said, maybe I am a bit of a slow learner, but finally did figure one of these small ubuntu's are very simple to bring to current. Had I known this fact, I would have never bothered to download that disaster 14.10 with the Ubuntu-desktop which I deplore severely. All you have to do is gedit etc/apt/sources.list and change the 3 first names to current OS name. For instance my last small Ubuntu was 13.10 so, I changed names from saucy to utopic and did "apt-get dist-upgrade" and took maybe about 20 minutes and I now have a small 14.10 Ubuntu image which I am going to see if I can just put one desktop at present and some other things and see what happens?

After reading many of the things TheeMahn has stated, I have formed the opinion to download that full desktop version and mess with it maybe just asking for trouble. Most likely what I have here now, would suffice and may even run properly and even shut down correctly. Of course, it all still depends on me also correcting my severe errors in gtk-2.0 should I start using my own themes again. Maybe for now would be best to just try everything out with stock themes and go from there. I mean, I think the stock ones are written correctly??? Least, I will not get weird messages in the terminal, since those themes seem to not trigger all that mine do. Ah, no one is perfect, right? Never claimed I was, just that I could get things to look nice was all. Hopefully, I will improve and knock those errors out and gain some users, but that is not what I am concentrating on now.

I am concentrating on getting an OS running that is more improved than my current 13.10. I think I may be onto something and if I am, you know I will continue on this post. Either way I will, unless someone does not approve of this. All I ever do with all this is to try and get information to people that will help them. TheeMahn has created the best way of doing an OS, but I just want to understand all the mechanics of Linux as I know some other also do. So, I am just journeying down this road that many other OS creators/developers have. Linux has many visions and I also have my own vision. Anyone wants to put out some advice, am game and always ready to listen. For now, am off to just try a one desktop OS and of course you know which one that will be. Once that is working and ready for an install, will try and see what happens. If am still experiencing the no shutdown bit, I know I went the wrong way. If not, I went the right way and the rest of the desktops will then be installed. For now Gotham rests.
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:08 pm

Basically fiddling with these done images, alphas and betas of Ubuntu's with their trashy desktop, spyware and other trash is a severe waste of time. I hope all reading this will understand this point and dismiss those images for building your own OS with. Take it from me, is nothing but troubles and nightmares and the end result you have a trashed OS that is worthless. Gotham is going bye bye for current I am now working on. May even be installed on my computer in the next day. Imagine that, right? Spend 2 weeks working away on an OS and is trash and now I say can get one of my huge systems done in a full day????

Well, for one thing am going to give up Cinnamon. Why? The only reason I ever use it is to see how a theme looks and to admire my handiwork for the background. That is not enough reason to keep a desktop, right? Oops, forgot to mention Nemo also. As usual http://www.webupd8.org/2013/10/install- ... s-and.html shows us all how to get that gem working on the Gnome Desktop, so what better solution than that? LXDE, XFCE and Mate, least I go on those and use them here and there. Not always, but sometimes.

Now, getting this OS done in no way means my themes will be ready for it, so everyone will have to wait til I get those coordinated and working correctly. I did find a page to get K9copy working but is for trusty. Here's the link: http://www.bloglovin.com/viewer?blog=10 ... 2152425479. I suspect pretty soon it will be ready for 14.10, so I will just load and hope for that fact to happen soon.

Last night, I told you all you have to do is go into etc/apt/sources.list and change name to current distro on any small ubuntu image. Wait 20 minutes after first doing apt-get update then apt-get dist-upgrad and presto you have a small current image. I did this last night, saved the image, then proceeded to build. First was Gnome 3.14. Do not use testing repo just use Gnome3team and Gnome Staging and you're there for a full gnome desktop after you initiate the command apt-get install gnome. Originally, I said I was only going to install one desktop then test. I got way too excited and did the rest as listed above. I then closed it out and gave it a try in Vbox. I have the same issue with ubiquity-frontend-gtk, so am starting to believe is just defunct. So, I will go back and uninstall that and do the kde frontend. Not keen on it, but least that works.

Shutdown problem is gone and to that am grinning. I just do not want to be pushing power buttons to turn computers off. It must have something to do with Unity or that blasted Ubuntu-desktop. Of course, I do not know and after spending a full day and nothing happened, I am going to trash that last image. Will have to figure a new name for this one, but of course all that will come when I complete it. Wine-compholio shows errors in installation when you get to the desktop but once you hit download it works after engaging firefox and wine sets up all its prefixes. So, am liking that aspect as I like to be as close as I can be if I ever have to re-install as at some points time is of the essence. To sit there making all kinds of adjustments is just no party. Well, back to the fun. Will be back when I learn more and am at the point of installation or maybe after?
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:46 pm

Am back and getting close to completion of next OS which was built from minimal iso since other project was abandoned. I am going to say this as have seen others with that same shut down problem, that most likely belongs to something that is related to Unity. Current OS has close to no Unity in it and goes down like a rocket. Build I am working on is the same exact way. In fact since 12.04, I have never experienced any hassles whatsoever with a Linux OS I built shutting down.

Now, as stated I decided to drop Cinnamon due to my lack of usage. The only foolish reason I was even going on there was to see the XML background I reworked, which can easily be done on the Gnome desktop. Current 13.10 am writing from right now have instituted and works great. For those not aware what I am talking about a brief explanation. Tweak or whatever your background changer works on can easily switch to an XML sheet that then lists 3 or more pictures. Currently, I only use 3 and those were pictures posted by Xan some time ago. How this XML sheet works is it takes a percentage of all pictures at parts of the day, usually in the morning. So, the effect is what I refer to as Superimposed. Looks really great if you have 3 similar pictures. Of course the XML was taken from Cinnamon. Originally Gnome pulled this off some time ago, believe around the start of 3.6.

I am not sure if I can pull off a similar effect for gdm in Gnome's shell theme, but am going to try in Vbox, most likely tomorrow. I was held up by life's events working on my OS, yesterday and returned to building today. Right now, is installing in the laptop to see what's going on, before it gets tooled for my color schemes and looks. Of course that is my doing and all will see when done. For now off the graphics and back to the building stuff. Some time after I started this post, I complained about not being able to install my all time favorite software OS uninstaller. Fortunately there is a way and you guessed it is once a part of upcoming OS due for install real soon. Here's the code
Code: Select all
$ sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/yannubuntu/boot-repair/ubuntu saucy main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list'
$ sudo sh -c 'echo "deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/yannubuntu/boot-repair/ubuntu saucy main " >> /etc/apt/sources.list'
$ sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 60D8DA0B
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install os-uninstaller

Is a great utility as if you have to re-install least you can remove the original since most times unless you do a great job with gparted, pieces get left behind and interfere with the next install. Believe me, have been there and this is why I offer this type of solution. Do yourself a favor use the utility then use gparted and should be nothing left over to interfere, then you can experience a nice running system upon a new install.

I did run into a snag on an install this morning and was due to ubiquity looking for a cd. In a way am lost on that setting as not many of us use cd's/dvd's to install our OS's any more do we??? Of course, you know nothing loads an OS better to your machine than thumbOS by TheeMahn. If you want to use something else, you are definitely wasting time and a glutton for punishment. Once again, I set the image to load on the usb thumbdrive did a few chores come back, done. If it was Unetbootin rest assured, could have probably ate dinner before that would finish up.

Moving past that, OS is loaded not sure if am going to go with Gotham2 or something else, will figure soon. Am liking Gnome 3.14 in many aspects, but of course is some drawbacks, mainly about my favorite icons not showing properly in Nemo. Hmm, this time they are showing correctly? Am amazed as last test were not correct and gave default icons that looked terrible. Sorry, Noobslabs owns me on those sky-blue-gnome icons. Hats off to those people for creating icons that look so realistic, absolutely love them. Looking this nice, I think the move is going to happen real soon, like in the next couple days. I know am looking forward to it. This also means, I will not build until next October upon completion of 15.10. This will then free up time for me in spring to tend to my gardening, which did not go great this year.

I am going to also recommend camorama instead of cheese, least for Gnome. Reason is, by default even though cheese is installed, is not working by menu, but does come up by command line. So this one is going to be a weird one to figure out. Least when am missing something, I get it and is fixed. As said, am no genius and not even close. I am more of a mechanic than anything else. I am always fixing or putting something together. I suppose most of us guys are just born that way, right? So far, am very impressed this time around. You bet, I will never fiddle with a full blown Ubuntu again. Enough of that covered it last time. All those that enjoy having date, year, month and seconds with their time are going to be very pleased with Gnome 3.14. I know I am loving it, big time. I am a royal sucker for this, so Gnome has once again got my attention even more.

Original testing on first Gotham bottom taskbar flipped right away when set to transparency, so far is still clear. So far am not getting major disaster messages so am thinking might just be good to go. Of course, I do my very best to be thorough and not start out with an OS that is toast. Any users of Griffith be sure to visit launchpad for fix on it. One thing I will have to put back in as this time forgot it again. Is a python file that doesn't agree so well with things. Am hoping to organize our monstrous DVD collection. When Shawn and I saw them for a $1 we bought way too many. Problem is need some organization and that is why I have Griffith.

Okay, now just set up Compiz with no studder at all??? I have yet to see this and am truly amazed. Now have to remember, last time was on Ultimate was 3.5 which worked very well, but first time you set things was a studder. I have seen that same studder on every OS I have built since. I thought would never go, but now is gone and good ridance, I really do not appreciate tons of crash messages for things that are being done normally. I also have to say, speed on the laptop is very impressive at this point. At this point am very excited to get this one installed, but still have to investigate more to insure am good to go. Anyway, will have more information soon. Is late and have to do some things. Will be back with more most likely tomorrow. Am going to have to wait on the TMOSB due to overusing data downloads already. Verizon seems to charge after the files are decomopressed. Is no fun as these systems uncompressed are no less than 20gbs. This build is about 25 or 27 somewhere in there is big, once again.
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby tomx3 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:33 am

Well, I am on german ubuntu support board and because of some questions about it I made ubuntu packages of k9copy.

http://tomtomtom.org/k9copy-reloaded/en.html

Packages for 14.10 are build, too. But I need some testers.

k9copy uses mencoder or ffmpeg, in 14.10 both is not in the repositories, so I made it work with avconv.

The packages for 14.10 you can find here:

http://tomtomtom.org/k9copy-reloaded/testing
tomx3
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:48 am

I thank you from the bottom of my heart tomx3 as I absolutely love K9Copy. I was so worried, the need may arise to use that utility and I would not be prepared and now, the moment after I installed 14.10 you have solved that issue, no words can describe my appreciation for that. Below you will see was one of the first things I did after install was come here and get that gem in. I had no clue that you had uploaded this as last night, I made plans for install in the morning. Was a job this one. Still, less time into build off small image than in the past. Last 2 fowl ups were from a full blown Ubuntu. I swore last time when I fiddled with 13.04, I would never do this, but I got arrogant and thought I could beat it. No, it takes someone with more brains like TheeMahn to conquer that giant. For now on I will only do small Ubuntu's especially since I figured out how to update any version of one of those. I am probably the last fool to catch onto that.
K9Copy on 14.10 and 3.14 Gnome Flashback.jpg
K9Copy_on_14.10_and_3.14_Gnome_Flashback.jpg

I pretty much finished up last night and figure out have about 2 and a half days into this build. Sure someone else could be done in a few hours, but I am not that smart and I just have to do dozens of checks on things before I move. I learned my lesson on the first 12.10, I did. Actually, the 13.04 was worse since I spent 2 days after install doing "apt-get build-dep *****". I still have a long ways to go on all this, but will admit I am improving with each build. I am still impressed on compiz as every build always studdered when setting things and would get a crash. Now has changed but this time is a disappointment with gdb as for some unknown reason it can't find a shell. You will see that picture below also. Movement is great on this 14.10 and it came very close to getting "The Flash" for its name, but I just can't find the right pics for that, so will just stick with Gotham. Besides, this gdb error cancels that out as "The Flash" would never be forgetful since he always saves the day, right?
Where's the Shell.jpg
Where's_the_Shell.jpg

I was hoping by now, the zfs file system could be loaded upon installation without doing the major production. Nope, wrong on that thus far. Either that or I should just dump apport and take on everything that does not function doing to that junk being installed. Just very upset about gdb giving me that trash message about "no shell". I really thought after everything I did for this OS would be there. Of course did not show up in the default 14.10 I originally added to. So, it might just be another folley of Ubuntu. Hope to find some info soon and will get back to everyone on this. I also have to thank you tomx3 once again for the great utility and the fact you answered this post. I am greatly appreciative of those that want to contribute. The information on Ultimate has always been invaluable. Not only is our developer a warehouse of information but the users here are too. I have learned many things, hoping I help others and just want to see it all continue so others can enjoy great running Linux systems.
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:47 pm

Suppose had to write back to brag about Gnome-boxes. Been a while since I was actually able to get it functioning again. Last 2 Ubuntu's 13.10 and 13.04 I could not get that thing to function. Now, most of this is due to my always having to have the latest greatest desktop of theirs. So, I wind up adding the testing site and it blows it away. Am going to re-iterate this fact. People, please by all means do not build an OS with a testing repo in it. Why? Simple, it is installing pieces that are being tested and testing parts should only ever be done on fully functional running systems. It has taken me over 5 builds to finally understand that fact. I now only hope to stress this point so others do not make the same mistakes as I did.

Now back to Gnome-boxes. Now we know this is a glorified interface for qemu, but still is easy and simplistic with a few additions. So far current version seems like a decent competitor to Vbox. Now, I like both, but lately my needs are changing. See, I am not on virtual images as much as I used to be. Is so terrible now, that vbox went from 4.2 something to 4.3 before I picked up on it, which shows I went out of touch with it. So, then I updated ran alright, but then noticed seemed to be dragging and all those x's at top, so I decided I can tone down a bit and user the cheaper bit, Gnome-boxes. Here and there instead of futzing the laptop can just do adjustments inside to try, then put them on here when finished. I am terrible typing on a laptop, so is better on the PC. Currently, I am doing a xfs file system load to see how it works.

Either Gnome-boxes has gotten easier to manipulate or this system is completely stronger than its predecessor. I tend to believe the earlier as I still say when it comes to building these OS's, I am still lacking, basically no pro. My memory is not the greatest and has nothing to do with age as I have always been this way. Want to talk about a real fupa, well I remembered many dependencies for programs and things, but then forget desktop-priveledges. Imagine that? Maybe I spoke too soon on Gnome-boxes. Went through the installation, went to reboot then failed. Went through the loading bit, hit enter and did zip. Vbox does not fail on this. So maybe I will have to get that afterall. Suppose you can't expect a cheap wrench to do a sockets job, right? Oh well, you just can not win them all, right?

I imagine is going to be a bit before I am ready to make themes again as I am missing something crucial. That is what is acceptable to Gnome 3.14. This is something all of us theme creators go through. When it becomes too much, this is when theme creators fade away. I hope that will not be me, but I will not promise, since that always renders bad luck to me.

I never kept anyone apprised of using Xscreensaver on the Gnome desktop. I have stated this since 13.04/Gnome 3.10. Simply go into etc/xdg/autostart/xscreensaver.desktop and gedit "OnlyShowIn=XFCE;" to putting "#" before that line. That will set things up so will show in all desktops. Next want to go into system settings and turn that dreadful lock off which will be on the icon "Brightness and Lock". Next we are going to perform what I call a dirty trick. In usr/bin find files "gnome-screensaver and gnome-screensaver-command" and delete them. Next we are going to copy paste "xscreensaver and xscreenaver-command" bin files and rename to you guess it "gnome-screensaver and gnome-screensaver-command". I figure one dirty trick deserves a dirty trick to go against it. Think about it? Now, Gnome forces that crappy screensaver on us by making "gnome, gnome-core and gnome-shell" uninstall should we decide we do not want it. Now is that nice or dirty? I say dirty as then your desktop is destroyed, all because you do not want your screen destroyed because is staying on and do not want to be annoyed by it going black or locking.

So, my stupid idea keeps gnome gnome-core and gnome-shell intact by offering 2 phoney files. Not really phoney, but are not the gnome screensaver, since they are really copies of xscreensaver. Least is a cheap solution and works very well. I just hope one day Gnome will understand their screensaver should be an option and not an integral part. I like having choices and to be cut out of them stinks. On the 3.6 Gnome desktop we had the choice of replacing gnome screensaver, but since has been cut out. Now for users of Griffith. I forgot to mention the culprit to the problem is in the file located in usr/share/griffith/lib/db/validators.py. Is just a line that is missing and has been this way for over a year. Seriously, I thought this issue would be fixed by now, but remains the same so use this link: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1212397 to get that file and simply replace old one with this new one and will be fine.
Griffith_Working.png
Griffith_Working.png

So far am having better luck on LXDE than I did before. Was having an issue with bottom panel upon login under compiz. I know there is a problem with my gtk-2.0 file gtkrc so will be working to resolve that issue this next week along with a better shell theme. Work did not happen today due to moving everything back to the new system. I want all my goodies easily accessible. This time, I got all my notes since I was very thorough and put all on other drive. Guess, I am wisening up in some areas. Now if it can be more areas will be better. Will be back with more info as time goes by and just hope this all helps. Seems lately not a lot of contributors to all this, but I will keep doing my best as I know least it may help someone.
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:27 pm

Am going to do a little complaint again. You know at points these small files that are not combined with another is unbelievable. People if you are building one of these systems, I have to really stress the importance of insuring files are there before you try virtually or install for real. You would think on a basic small Ubuntu that is generally around 200 -300mbs, when you install a desktop, the basic needs would be installed, right? No, and never trust this by all means. Take it from me, I have built around 7 or 8 of these and that never happens. So, I feel the importance is there to share this with all that are building.

If you read last post, I believe I talked about how I forgot policykit-desktop-priveleges. Now generally, the result of this will make you fill in your password every time you go to access that spare hard drive as it did for me. Am not sure if will affect other components and mess up an install, as thus far am doing well on this system. Of course I can not say that for my themes by no means. Appears, I have some new lingo to learn, so most likely will be spending many hours of catch-up to get those themes looking as they should. Of course that is my own issue and would rather cover a complaint while also stressing the importance of checking and re-checking your work.

For us younger builders(less than 20 built) I suggest after you have made as many checks going through synaptic package manager and components you have typed out in script, to check in a virtual environment. I know, it becomes very exciting when we get our builds done to get them installed on our computers ASAP. Believe me, I have jumped the gun too many times and paid the price of an OS that is barely stable. Luckily, last few builds have only had minor issues, in fact this one has the lowest number, but that is due to finally learning about all these small files that belong. This is why I am stressing something like vbox. With Vbox you can install the OS and find out if all is working correctly. Something crashes "apt-get build-dep ***" will generally find what you need. Just because a file ends in dev it does not mean is for developers only. This means other files require information from that so they can do their job.

Have to think about it. Now if I have a car engine in pieces and am going to put it back together after finding out nothing is labeled, will be next to impossible, right? Well this is the comparison of those -dev files, they know what those components are supposed to do. Besides, since you are putting the OS together, that also entitles you to the role of "Developer". For the life of me though, I will never understand why policykit-desktop-priveleges is not included with any of the other policykits since in my book is sort of senseless not to do that. You also have to watch crazy things such as you install gconf-cleaner yet you do not have gconf installed. Is a strange part in Linux that somethings would install without another. Maybe one day things will be different but for now are not.

For this current OS of mine, called "Gotham" it has a problem I never saw happen yet. Every Ubuntu I have assembled to date, apport-retrace worked flawlessly. This one, does not work at all. Comes up with unable to find a shell. Absolutely amazing. Of course, the only way to check on getting it fixed was futzing my themes. Everything else doing great, so only way to get anything to mess up is fiddle with those themes. So far, after many attempts to fix it, goes unfixed so will probably just have to live with it, unless I figure something else out.

I believe I may have been missing a few gnome-boxes components so am going to check out another install of my OS as to see if maybe that desktop privileges cause a few errors, causing gdb not to work correctly. Will be working tomorrow, so can't check til Monday. Will be back with info on that as am sure those that are building will want to know how much trouble a small little file can cause. Til then best wishes to all that build and may your OS's run the very best. Believe me, yesterday it more than paid for time spent on it. Saved me about 20 minutes and that is where it counts when one is tired and just wants to get things done.
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

PreviousNext

Return to Rants and Raves