Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

R.I.P Gnome-Flashback??

Love it, hate it drop posts here
Forum rules
Comments or opinions expressed on this forum are those of their respective contributors only. The views expressed on this forum do not necessarily represent the views of Ultimate Edition, its management or employees. Ultimate Edition is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to the forum.

R.I.P Gnome-Flashback??

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:21 pm

Everyone knows I have been a long term fan of Gnome. Well, that looks like is coming to an end! In the brilliant minds of Gnome Developers they seem to now think there is no more need for the Gnome-Flashback desktop for Gnome 3.12. There has also been a lot of talk or should say writing that many people think even 3.10 is the death of Gnome!

See, they started with this Wayland graphics and that has put quite a damper on certain areas and looks for the once beautiful desktop! I mean sure the idea of having great graphics and a minimal amount of crashes is a great concept, do not get me wrong! When other things such as gtk and qt are taking a beating is not good! I am sure if more work was done, those developers could have done a better job and have made us all proud of 3.10. Sure, performance wise runs great, but looks count and they have been lost!

Performance of 3.8 was decent all the way around. Looks were there, just needed a little more to up the performance. Is a shame Gnome is just starting to trash this whole series. I have seen articles of some planning on branching off to where 3.8 was. Now, that would be nice since the Flashback environment would be there! Gnome developers claim there are too many wannabes out there and Flashback is just another Gnome 2.0 look alike or something off the pages of Mate!

I think is a huge mistake to drop Flashback as that is the only desktop that had class! Classic and Gnome plain out and out suck! To me those are old fashioned and similar to Cinnamon and Gnome 2.0. Think about it, click on Applications and is the same effect like Cinnamon or Gnome 2.0, the big menu comes down. Am sorry just looks incredibly cheap! I am just shocked and appalled Gnome developers would oust Flashback for those ugly unusable desktops!

Moving the cursor to the upper left sometimes works, and other times lags to hell! That has been the definite since 3.10. 3.8 used to just get there! This one not good! Will miss theme creation for Gnome, but am sure something else will come along. Probably will wind up switching to Mate unless that other team gets going on that fork of 3.8!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Re: R.I.P Gnome-Flashback??

Postby Xanayoshi » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:47 pm

After doing some research, I lost track of whatever my point was because now I want to build a Wayland Arch with Gnome and KDE since there is GTK+ and QT support and see what happens.

Oh yeah, Fallback.....Flashback, formerly classic, they said that a long time ago. Really though, as heavily emulated as the Gnome 2 environment(itself XP emulate) is, it may not be so bad in the long run as it has given us more choices if you really think about it. While the loss of the heavily customised Gnome 2 shell with Full on Emerald and Compiz is indeed quite lame, the ability itself is still there. Many of these advancements have to be made and addressed to no matter how we might feel personally. There is a need for change and adaptation in regards to graphics. There is a definite need to adapt to technology in terms of portability and adaptable GUI.

On a personal level I don't really like Gnome 3. I have tried. Many times. I don't get it. It's frustrating. But I can't complain and I have to be thankful that people like horrible things so that others with better taste may aspire to provide something that is not Gnome 3.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby pam » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:27 pm

BBOSAK2143 wrote:Everyone knows I have been a long term fan of Gnome. Well, that looks like is coming to an end! In the brilliant minds of Gnome Developers they seem to now think there is no more need for the Gnome-Flashback desktop for Gnome 3.12. There has also been a lot of talk or should say writing that many people think even 3.10 is the death of Gnome!

See, they started with this Wayland graphics and that has put quite a damper on certain areas and looks for the once beautiful desktop! I mean sure the idea of having great graphics and a minimal amount of crashes is a great concept, do not get me wrong! When other things such as gtk and qt are taking a beating is not good! I am sure if more work was done, those developers could have done a better job and have made us all proud of 3.10. Sure, performance wise runs great, but looks count and they have been lost!

Performance of 3.8 was decent all the way around. Looks were there, just needed a little more to up the performance. Is a shame Gnome is just starting to trash this whole series. I have seen articles of some planning on branching off to where 3.8 was. Now, that would be nice since the Flashback environment would be there! Gnome developers claim there are too many wannabes out there and Flashback is just another Gnome 2.0 look alike or something off the pages of Mate!

I think is a huge mistake to drop Flashback as that is the only desktop that had class! Classic and Gnome plain out and out suck! To me those are old fashioned and similar to Cinnamon and Gnome 2.0. Think about it, click on Applications and is the same effect like Cinnamon or Gnome 2.0, the big menu comes down. Am sorry just looks incredibly cheap! I am just shocked and appalled Gnome developers would oust Flashback for those ugly unusable desktops!

Moving the cursor to the upper left sometimes works, and other times lags to hell! That has been the definite since 3.10. 3.8 used to just get there! This one not good! Will miss theme creation for Gnome, but am sure something else will come along. Probably will wind up switching to Mate unless that other team gets going on that fork of 3.8!

As to why they dumped flashback etc and the implementation of wayland is not worth justifying.
That's only if you really knew why linux is being heldback big time. :?

Gabe Newell, Andrew Morton and even Linus will have probably the best answer but that's only if you understand linux to the core and NOT pass them off as idoits Also.

Theme creation will become oblivious as extensions would allow any user to change their look in seconds...
Only the pros will be able to make themes that stand out.

I hated Gnome 3(gnome-shell) initially, to the core. Once you see the vision of the devs and their associated problems like correct interfacing with different stacks in X, you'd know its better than sending people to Mars.

TO THE PITS WITH FLASHBACK, FALLBACK, CLASSIC. GNOME-SHELL FOREVER!
DONOTSPAMORTROLL:
http://forumubuntusoftware.info/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11
Download Ultimate Edition and Oz Unity 3.0 from copy:-
https://www.copy.com/s/oBnDBsDOvxF8jW1EuLKM/Public
Download Ultimate Edition from sourceforge:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ultimat ... rce=navbar
Download Oz Unity 3.0 from sourceforge:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ueoz/files/UEOz/
Download Ultimate Edition torrents from linuxtracker:-
http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... 0&active=1
Download Oz Unity 3.0 torrents from linuxtracker:-
http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... 0&active=1
Image Image
Visit:http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com
pam
Site Admin

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:49 am

Like that Xan! Am with you on the point of Gnome! Would rather just go to Mate! I like that style of menu as is easier to find things. That big huge thick menu, just not my idea of a desktop! As have said before, sure will use Cinnamon here and there, but not all the time! To me it is harder to find things in a menu of such. That is why I have preferred the way menu opens up in desktops like Mate of R.I.P Gnome Flashback! Why they want to look Generic and cheap is a real shame!

Sure I get the point of wanting to be on smaller devices and that menu would be easier. Still, there are many of us that will not be using these small devices 24/7 so why should we be tortured as such? To me the added additions Gnome is proposing for 3.12 are not much ahead of tooltips! So why do it?? Ah, I see, we want to look more like Windows and in turn work just as poorly, since we tossed it all to Wayland!

Xan, would not bother with getting a system set with Gnome and this Wayland crap! Yes I do believe it will lead to inspiring others to create a better desktop! Needs to happen as this former Gnome was enjoyable to art enthusiasts such as myself. I know am no Picasso and not even close, but I enjoyed being able to do such things as have done! Looks as though that is coming close to and end, least for Gnome! I will probably wind up focusing more on XFCE and Mate since least those are the kind of look I enjoy! Would be nice to get more gtk3 effects happening in XFCE. I know should be fine for Mate since have seen what comes from what TheeMahn does with it!

To be 100% honest and you can go back and read past posts from when I joined. I honestly thought the Mate desktop was Gnome 3!!! TheeMahn had done such brilliant work on it, I did not know the difference!!!! So, yes am definitely going to look into getting that for this presently defunked 14.04 am wasting my time on! Will bet, dumping Gnome and replacing it with Mate would do it justice and more of the parts would match up correctly! Has been the thing all along that I have been fighting! I keep trying to get Gnome to work with Ubuntu and basically, I really do not see it ever working right with Ubuntu! Let's face it for the past year and 3 months I have tried, tried and over tried! Simply does not work right!

There is always something in conflict so right away there goes hassles to the OS! Current is the closest I have ever gotten to resolving all issues and the response is there! That also adds to me choosing Mate! I love current response as boom boots in a flash and things open quite nicely and function correctly! Still due to Gnome's crap, there remains a few conflicts, not major but still there! Now, if those conflicts caused by Gnome were removed, I get something much more closer to what I desire and that is total reliability!

I was stupid not to see the clear fact why TheeMahn has avoided going Gnome 3! I mean I sat here fighting this 13.10 for a month straight! Meanwhile, TheeMahn put together how many???? Do not want to say it as is really embarrassing!!! Sure, he has umpteen more years and experience, but still I see an OS as should be completed by myself in a week, not a month! So, am ending this fight with Gnome and moving on! I will get those looks I want from Mate and XFCE! I have Cinnamon already and believe me is about what Gnome is turning into!

Also as have said before, once I figure a way to use a smaller distro will also move past Ubuntu! I am not for the idea of them telling us the way a system should be! Is just heading in the Microsoft direction and that is not for me! I was happy to be out of being told what my likes for an OS should be! I want to remain that way, so will be searching elsewhere in Linux and wake up from this nightmare! Besides have to get better at all this and time still is there for me to do it! Always say "Learn while the time is there to do it!"
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Return to Rants and Raves