Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Mad Scientist at Work!

Love it, hate it drop posts here
Forum rules
Comments or opinions expressed on this forum are those of their respective contributors only. The views expressed on this forum do not necessarily represent the views of Ultimate Edition, its management or employees. Ultimate Edition is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to the forum.

Mad Scientist at Work!

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:05 pm

If you caught my last rant, man are you going to get a charge out of this! If you remember have been messing with Saucy 13.10 and what I have been calling "Ravenswood". Well, I got fairly upset about once LibreOffice has its dependencies, it then conflicts with the operation of many other programs. So, I decided I was going to try something completely off the wall!!!

The beauty of Ubuntu-builder is speed! So, I went two ways on this 13.10 I have. One way runs with possible conflicts, but is not major! Am sure within the next month updates will come and those conflicts will be resolved! Now to the point!!! I figured why wait??? Also remember, a few people saying Trusty is right around the corner!!!! Yes, indeed, in fact where do you think the other Saucy is going at this moment?????

So here is where the laugh is coming in! I took the source list and totally revamped it to be trusty! At present so many files are being replaced with trusty parts! Will it work??? Hey, it was wrecked anyway, so does it really matter???? See, I tried to compensate for the files Libreoffice updated to, but it left Saucy a wreck! So, I figured since I had the other copy and this one was half destroyed, why not try this conversion scheme???? When you have nothing left to loose, all you can do is gain, right????

I think, I can actually have it completely turned to trusty within a day or two? Will probably be considered a beta, since trusty has not been released yet! Still is fun, imagine having trusty running before it is even released??? Brings me back to the betas of Windows! Had a friend, Bobby, about 15 years or more older than me that just loved getting those things! He had me with that for a few years! This however is more fun, since Linux's tend to run more precise even when they are in the beta stage!!!! So, yes am a mad scientist at work!!!! Think it will succeed or fail???? Give your opinion!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Re: Mad Scientist at Work!

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:43 pm

No one is saying anything, most likely since this is complete insanity or nothing is known about doing something like this???? Well, believe me this is a ride and a half! Is quite exciting, entertaining, fascinating, etc! Basically if you read what I wrote last night, you would see this is sort of a wild and crazy experiment. I mean, "Hasn't anyone ever wondered what would happen if you tried something like this????" Or "Am I nutty as a Fruitcake for even trying???"

Now to recap in a wild attempt to save a destroyed 13.10, I tried something totally whacked out! I converted 13.10 to 14.04! Now, I asked if anyone would think it would work and no one would even say anything!!! Now that is real party poopers!!!! I mean, come on! I work hard and got to play real hard too! Shouldn't we all have a little fun, right???

Aren't you just say a teeny bit curious what is going on with this? Should we call it Saucy Tahr, Trusty Salamander or destroyed? Okay, I know suspense has to be killing you or you would not be reading this! Actually at this point whatever it is has a solid Gnome 3.10 shell the kernel completely replaced with Trusty's newest 3.13.0-15! The downside? I have not figured out how to get Synaptic to function! I agreed with changing all configuration files while this was being rebuilt, but somewhere along the line or line of code is a reference to Saucy and I will be damned if I can find it! Needs to go so this can be a fully functional Trusty build!

Now, I am not sure if Ubuntu Builder will put it together, but am game after a few more things have been re-installed! So far dependencies are not lacking, but then again, I have run so many of these Ubuntu's that had conflicts am almost at the point thinking one will not run if it has no conflicts at all!!!! Is not looking so good to run Cinnamon on it at present! Have fixed nemo up for it, but just not sure how well all this is going to go! Would love to get that saucy out of this so it just sticks with trusty and see how it all works! Will see if it will build in a bit, am so so curious on this one!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:56 pm

You know it does run! Still a problem does exist!!! Somehow someway if I can get all the duplicates(Saucy remnants) out and get all reminders to synaptic that Saucy is a dead Salamander, this thing would be sweet! Boots good programs are running, but I can not use synaptic! So, am hoping someone can help cure this mess with an idea to clear Saucy out!!! The rest is trusty but of course have no luck with Cinnamon at present is looking for a file that only exists on Saucy! Any help will be greatly appreciated as check this out below an almost never seen thing in any of my builds to date!

Code: Select all
root@bob-System-Product-Name:/# apt-get -f install
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
root@bob-System-Product-Name:/# aptitude -f install
Reading package lists...
Reading extended state information...
Initializing package states...
Writing extended state information...
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.
Writing extended state information...
Reading package lists...
Reading extended state information...
Initializing package states...
root@bob-System-Product-Name:/#

So please stop laughing and now think seriously as this did work most of the way, but useless files have to be cleared out! So have a heart and if you know how I can fix this please let me know!!! apt-get clean, autoremove nothing comes out! Is like is constipated and to find each file by exact name and version without the help of synaptic listing it is virtually impossible. So my SOS goes out to all!!!!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:38 am

Forgot to paste output from synaptic so here it is. Oh don't rush in to help now, okay!!! E: The value 'saucy-updates' is invalid for APT::Default-Release as such a release is not available in the sources
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:18 pm

Even though no one is answering or maybe no one has an answer, I will continue to ramble on! Why??? Am sure some will want to know some changes as Trusty Tahr becomes more of a reality! Face it within the next month will be available for download! Pretty much what I am assembling or converted to is considered beta. Still, these parts are close the real thing and am sure some out there may want this information!

Adobe-flash-plugin aka flashplugin-nonfree! Wine-compholio repo for Trusty = ppa:ehoover/compholio For me am not going to do the pre-install as with my connection takes too long! Adobe is a pain still running on old equipment so downloads are ferocious at points! For those that want Cinnamon and have Trusty Tahr to install to right now, you are in luck just created yesterday but have to use this one: ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-nightly.

Here's part of an output from bleachbit to show am not lying am doing my best to get this all Trusty: platform.linux_distribution() = ('Ubuntu', '14.04', 'trusty') but this next line clearly defines Saucy is not totally exterminated!: platform.platform = Linux-3.11.0-17-generic-x86_64-with-Ubuntu-14.04-trusty. We all know that Trusty runs linux-image-3.13! So how to get this blasted junk out so synaptic will work is still a major concern of mine! Needs to die as is too close to Trusty's release and the current one am running would be outdone by this new image as is less errors!

Will probably try another image tonight and see what happens! Of course that is if I can get all my settings done! Would love to install this one if is nicer than current! Current ran 2 days straight only one error of nemo not closing properly, but nemo seems at times when many windows are open will do this! To be honest as of yet, I have never been able to run this computer that amount of time and accurately to this point! So I believe somewhere along the line I am right in pursuing building OS's!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:08 pm

From a Mint post I found this: lahirdenganselamat wrote:I know this is old post, but now I know that the setting is stored on /root/.synaptic/synaptic.conf NOW Wouldn't that be great if synaptic could actually listen to that file????? Tried it, blows it off! Guess picked up on something no one knows in this world of Linux!!!
No lines exist in sources for Saucy so where and why is Synaptic deciding I have it set to saucy updates!!! This is driving me nuts!!!!

Okay found another piece have to remove apt-file and replace with trusty's apt-file. And of course that still does not solve it!!! Next looked to find if possibly procps was wrong version! Nope is correct! Files are almost all Trusty's but damned if Synaptic will wake up and realize Saucy is dead!!!

Response of uname -r is not correct as there is no more 3.10 kernel? This is a hard one, am getting to think no one on this earth can solve this problem!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:48 am

I once again checked /root/.synaptic/synaptic.conf to find somehow the impossible happened and my change was not implemented! Am not lying as I know what I saw as I reopened after I changed it, somehow, someway it changed itself back to saucy-updates instead of trusty-updates! So end result is synpatic is now opening! Another problem was even though I had deleted the original kernel image and headers of saucy for some unknown reason they were also still present! This whole operation is once again something I do not recommend for people to try!

It was a gamble as with what I started with was destroyed! So it was either delete the whole thing or take a gamble! As I said, once I had updated LibreOffice in that Saucy image it then ran major conflicts with other programs. I tried to fix the problem, but totally and I mean flat out failed! It left the image wrecked! To recover from those errors I felt would take too long! Of course, I should have thought about how long taking this road would take!!!!

Everyone knows I don't have cable, so basically to do this cross-over took all night long on Monday. The ole lady was ticked!!!! Even though I told her what was going on, she saw those dollar signs in her head of the bill hitting the sky! So, she turns the 3g off sometime early morning! Of course before that point, the system had completed downloading everything and was just reading changelogs!!!!

When I got up in the morning was left with a few questions of saving config files. Of course I opted not to! I wanted to wash my hands clean of those brutal errors I had made to the Saucy I was trying to improve! Of course since I had never done anything like this before I was in for many surprises! In fact I may still have some that exist so have to check everything closely! The OS upgrade in general did well! There were however parts that were kept from Saucy and had to be eliminated.

It was a great I idea that I put the system into an image and gave it a shot on Virtualbox right away! Having the filesystem.manifest was the best thing possible as I was able to determine which parts had not been replaced. From there I replaced them and did have some hassles upon doing that! Present results from aptitude -f install are not enjoyable to see and quite incorrect! Least last time I looked! Somehow something is tangled in aptitude that is making it think would be better to replace some Gnome parts from Trusty with those of Saucy! That would not be correct as current system is Trusty!

Of course that scenario was tried before I found that the original kernel and headers still existed even though I had deleted them by command line. Then, people wonder why I like synaptic so much! Without synaptic I would have never know those headers and image still existed! TheeMahn, if you are reading this, I did use your command line and I really thought all the old stuff was gone, but apparently those files escaped!!! Am not going to lie on this OS being built as to me is one bumpy ride! Very scary!

Now, if it would not have booted up in Vbox, I would have dismissed it and called the whole situation a mistake! Seeing that the system ran in Vbox and problems that effected some programs were gone, I found it a reasonable assumption to continue! Currently am watching as kernel 3.13.0-16 takes the place of 3.13.0-15. Of course once again no problem! I started with 14 so have saw 2 kernel changes in two days! Of course output of uname -r is still not correct! How I wish someone would say something on how to fix this!!! A kernel that is totally removed, non-existent gets referenced and the one that runs the show gets no mention!!! Sounds like a few jobs have had in the past!!! You know, the boss gets credit for stuff you did!

Anyway loads of work to do on this and hoping goes smooth, with any luck will get all my settings and niceties back in! Want to boot to a nice looking desktop not some lame ugly looking one! You know my themes have got to be part of it, not that standard ugly ones!!!!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:04 am

This is still a tangled mess with wrong output in terminal when uname -r is issued! Next had an issue with aptitude. It also somehow got tangled in that mess and proposed to change some things back to 13.10 which would be a total nightmare! So, I purged and reinstalled aptitude and wound up with the proper response. Seeing as I had a few leftover parts in Gnome that belonged to 13.10 and spent half a day replacing them, after all that and aptitude being replaced this time with its dependencies, a zeroed out repsonse was achieved!

Still, after all the adjustments were made and image was launced in Vbox, I found myself looking at Gnome desktop with only the icons and nothing else. No upper taskbar was there and when opening windows that should display the stoplights I usually have were not there! Since the Gnome desktop(default) does not use compiz, this is not a compiz problem and believe me all those dependencies are also satisfied!

I have been able to remove many of the remnants that belonged to 13.10 that I feel may cause KAOS! In hopes of achieving success I have even enlisted Ultimate's repo. Of course at present, most of the assembly belongs to gb,archive.ubuntu.com. Currently am downloading updates for it, and of course today Ii have to work my other job, so unfortunately this whole weekend is lost to that job and will resume working on fixing these problems come Monday!

Current system runs fine and has been worked very hard with all this, but keeps truckin! Am very pleased on that fact as many people that do not build, do not understand the stress it puts on the host system while this is being done. After all, which system is really building the new one, right? Since there are many areas to recheck, I know I am in for many more hours in this! Still, if I achieve the final goal of it all working correctly, will be great! As I have said before, when Trusty Tahr is released, will have things in there I do no like. I do not like Unity so much!!! When I did the original 13.04 boy did that louse it up! I do not want that again!

I know TheeMahn is going to eventually get TMOSB done and I will no longer have to go through this kind of havoc, but til then have to, as to achieve what I desire for my own personal operating system. I will not sit here downing any distribution of Linux. They all have their purpose. Unfortunately, most do not suit my present needs. Also, I enjoy my own customizations. I do not want to see "SANS" I want to see URW Chancerly L. That is what I choose and like! Others have different likes, so this is where TMOSB is going to be a "homerun" when it comes to Linux! Think of it, no more searching to find what you like, you just do it yourself!!!!

Updates are done now of which some of the gcc parts were updated so maybe will get lucky and my issue will be solved, but do not think will have enough time to build and test, but will try! If anyone has some good ideas, feel free to give them to me!!! Am no genius, but you know I am sharing what is going on and helping to save time for others! So, if you know something that will save me time, would be nice to share, right?????
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:23 am

Well people are reading this, but of course not adding anything! Would be nice as all of us concerned on this next Ubuntu known as Trusty Tahr am sure will appreciate this all greatly! So, will add some more to this mix of mass mayhem! For all those saluting libwayland graphics here is something that is being forgotten and imperative until the fix is done for it. A symbolic link must be inserted or believe me as I found out you wind up with no upper taskbar and a failure is not reported, why? Ubuntu does not see it as a failure since all that is missing is this symbolic link. So insert this command under sudo into terminal: ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/mesa-egl/libwayland-egl.so.1 /usr/lib/libwayland-egl.so.1. If you are building the image, of course you should be in root anyway! I rebuilt the image this morning, this time upper taskbar is there.

So far as boot sav and some things are not yet available for 14.04, I am unfortunately lacking the ability to install this Frankenstein creation of mine! However viewing it in Virtualbox at present seems as if it may have what it takes to be installed on my computer soon! Currently, as have said am very impressed on how well 'Ravenswood" has handled all tasks. Only problem I have ever seen to date is with Nemo! I am hoping as is continually updated and redone, eventually that little hassle will disappear!

For those wondering if 3.12 of Gnome's desktop will be included in Trusty, have nothing on it! Is a good possibility it will not be included! Gnome is holding back the release of 3.12 until another update from libwayland. Originally Gnome 3.12 was to be released end of this month but will now be first week of April. Whether Ubuntu will have time to include this in Trusty is unknown at this point! Still have many things to figure on this 14.04 and today will not happen! Got this far and am sure some of this is going to help others when in this same position or those thinking about the upcoming releases of 14.04 and Gnome 3.12. If I can get my hands on 3.12 or beta you know I will do so and when is in better shape, I promise to post pics!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:49 pm

Still working away at this mess and to be 100% honest am getting a bit disgusted! I know Trusty is still in beta form but there are many mistakes and is getting this close to distribution time? Think about it we are within a month of this being released and is not doing very well!

Today, I went through a half ass install! I thought it was going to be a good install as, I have spent a great deal of time getting it all going! Come to find out ubuntu-system-settings had some errors so it was real flaky on the install! Gnome parts are same, half ass and not quite right. Feel like I am getting a bunch of used and abused parts instead of new ones! Themes are not followed as is with 13.10. I mean this OS runs great but damned if the coloring is right! I am getting to think when they say Wayland graphics, they are talking about Waylon Jennings!

I mean simple crap like scrolling down the menu and color is supposed to go to light cyan and goes to red something that is not even in my theme! Would be like Waylon figuring he could make graphics to my theme even though he knows nothing about it! So, that is why I say must be Waylon graphics and not "Wayland". Then of course, Gnome repo has nothing to do with the updates!!! Ubuntu has them all! Now their idea of updating Gnome is to give old 3.8 parts and mix them in with 3.10 parts! Makes loads of sense!

I had the stupid idea that maybe since this Trusty Tahr is being released in a month that there would be just a tad more cooperation instead of a rag tag team! So basically with this 14.04 would say to not do as I did! Least not until maybe after is released and then boy are you going to have to work for it, if you want it to look normal!

Ubuntu has decided that the upper controls that have been predominately on the right side, such as my stoplights aka OSX should now be only positioned on the left side! MMM am detecting a bit of England in that one!!! Also have to remember that other nasty trick Gnome has played on all of us! Gnome loves sticking us on that Gnome desktop default to load! So, another trick they have now to do this is, if you do not open Gnome-tweak-tool and go to Keyboard and mouse and enable location of mouse(cursor) pointer you will have an invisible mouse on the Flashback desktop! Of course that deal has been happening since Saucy 13.10 and went through that when I built current OS am on!

Remember now boot-repair and sav are going to be part of 14.04. That option as of present seems fairly functional and about close to normal! Will say, I do not miss the poor performance I had with 13.04, but I do miss the graphics as they matched my themes and did not avoid what I wrote in my themes as it followed it exactly! I also miss 13.04's and earlier Gnome-Tweak! Had the choice of what the upper controls were. Now are constrained to a very generic ugly look! The shades, I meticulously worked hard on to look nice are close to barely noticeable anymore! Still, performance just blows away 13.04! I can run this 13.10 day in day out and does not dump one time! Only error I ever see is occasionally Nemo refuses to do the job correctly! Of course that has always been an issue! Here and there, Nemo just gets tired and falls asleep!

Not sure, but he may be with his 2 cohorts as in the McDonald's commercial steering away aimlessly, looking for filet of fish sandwiches!!! Will say on this 13.10, this is the best I have ever seen Gnome work! Of course these are all parts straight from Gnome, so should be good, right? If I could just get that 14.04 with these same parts, I would be one happy camper! I kept hoping as today, I saw updates for the graphics, maybe theming would be improved, but still no match! Still red on the scroll down! To that I say boo! I sure wish Waylon would stick to singing, he is better at that than graphics!!!

So now will be off to try about the 10th make of this beasty 14.04! Am hoping this time the repair to ubuntu-system-settings will help gnome-settings as is like AT&T, "We're all connected!" As of right now gjs-bin is a wasteland and keeps crashing so guess what???? Hardly any of the extensions work leaving Gnome desktop dusted! Flashback is fine though! Of course only way I can install right now is bring up terminal and enter ubiquity! Fairly lame, right??? Just has to get better! Also have been through about 3 kernel changes with no hassle, something that is rare as usually something gets left behind! So far have to say trusty is tidy in that respect!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Next

Return to Rants and Raves