Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Repairs for Ravenswood???

Love it, hate it drop posts here
Forum rules
Comments or opinions expressed on this forum are those of their respective contributors only. The views expressed on this forum do not necessarily represent the views of Ultimate Edition, its management or employees. Ultimate Edition is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to the forum.

Repairs for Ravenswood???

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:20 am

Many people on here have been reading about the building process of this 13.10 Ubuntu have named "Ravenswood". Last 13.04 was called "Xavius" which was capable of running but had a devastated gnome-shell among other things. With that said, dependencies have been issues for all systems I have built! Current build of "Ravenswood" is very capable and without any destruction done to gnome-shell or dbus. The results I am presently enjoying are not extremely far from the goal I aimed for! I aimed for 95% effectiveness and obtained 90%. System does not crash, moves very swiftly and effectively.

However, at this point I feel I can move towards my original goal as I have found some small errors and have also made some other repairs, I thought were not possible! Many have seen me bicker and complain about never being able to satisfy gnome-shell dependencies! Last night, that was finally conquered! You will also notice, I had originally planned to load the second laptop drive to a dual boot of "Ravenswood" and "Windows 7". This was put on hold as I continue to effect all missing dependencies and pieces not there, and lines of code that need adjustment!

Although, I may try something with the old image Xavius, I personally intend to never run that OS again! For what it was I was able to do some amazing things with it and learned some from it, but overall usage was just a few notches better than the original 13.04 I built. Is amazing as the original had the proper files for gnome-shell and was not hanging in the balance!!!! Still, Xavius was able to make that OS look real bad!

Ravenswood is a complete 180 from Xavius and all other OS's I have built to date. The other day, I was able to do something I have never seen in any one of these Ubuntu's have built yet. In 20 minutes time an image of a more improved Ravenswood was built during the same time an image of a DVD I own was created!!! Previously, half that pressure and an issue would arise such as a crash(black screen). Also due to Xavius's disabilities the image I am running of Ravenswood took 2 hours to create! In the same amount of time Ravenswood would have created 6 images!!!

Some will ask, "What has been done to achieve this higher success?" Is called persistence!!!! I am very stubborn and not going to give up the fight to make the best OS I can possibly create! I have seen this same trait in TheeMahn!!! He never gives up! I admire that quality so much!!!! So many times, I wish I would see more of that, instead of people that just throw in the towel!!!! So much of this persistence I have I give TheeMahn credit for! Is his persistence that is rubbing off on me and how I keep hoping it will spread to the world!!!! So, I always feel for however far I get on building OS's I will always owe a great thanks to TheeMahn! So, I say great thanks to you, TheeMahn, Ravenswood is pretty nice. Strange name, for an OS, but then again, love being different!

TheeMahn's persona and last name are identical to a great man my father worked with. My father's name was Miles Bosak. He worked as a parts salesman for Sears in Orland Park, Ill. He worked with a man named Jessie Cady. Jessie was brilliant with his inventions of toys for under privileged children and the likes. On his days off in his workshop, he constantly invented neat little toys that would just put smiles on little children's faces and adults alike!!!! Not only that, if someone was in need of assistance on their car, Jessie would come to the rescue!!! Now, I ask, "Doesn't that sound pretty familiar?" TheeMahn in effect is the same way, we have problems, he takes care of them!!! So, how could we not look up to people like this???? Poor Jessie, had so much pain and trouble with his feet, but he kept pushing and never gave into the pain!!!! People like this, we need dozens and thousands more of!!!! Am just proud and honored to know such greatness in my lifetime!!!!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Re: Repairs for Ravenswood???

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:22 pm

Here we go again!!!! Is the same old problem I face every time I decide to build!!! The problem is, some programs are ahead of others! What this means is one program will depend on say "libboost-date-time1.53-dev" while another relies on 1.54 of that version! So I am wondering when Ubuntu developers can not seem to keep these files in sync how it can ever be possible to create one of these systems without missing dependencies???? I was messing around with things yesterday to try and alleviate a condition of such, but the ending results were nothing but trouble!

For me, right now the most important program I have to use is Libreoffice. So because I have to use that, and other programs have not updated properly I am going to get the short end on some things. I find it ironic that a brand new version of Blender even relies on 1.53!!! Then since I have Libre, there is also the deal between libcurl4-openssl-dev and libcurl4-gnults-dev if I want to have all dependencies with Firefox! This time around and am in shock, Gnome 3.10 sealed all dependencies without a hitch??? Yes am totally shocked since this is the very first version I have had of Gnome that I have been able to obtain all dependencies and nothing is backdated as have mentioned above!

When you download the mini of Ubuntu 13.10, sources.list is extremely lacking! So, some of us as myself try this new gig up on the net called "repogen" located at http://repogen.simplylinux.ch/ Sure is nice for many things but when it comes to some dependencies, not so great! So, fortunately I did find a more proper source.list at http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Sauc ... positories which fortunately has made it possible for me to get all needed dependencies for programs. Apparently, I was missing some things even though I had generated a decent list from Repogen. Who know, maybe I did not generate the list properly, so I would not even think of cutting down Repogen as I have been able to get great sources and packages from the lists I generate!

Since even on this version of "Ravenswood" am currently running, Firefox opens in a flash and have had zero hassles with it! Chrome, so so! Of course since I need to use Pipelight and Chrome has always been wishy-washy with it, am pretty much sticking with Firefox as that is very successful with Pipelight. Opera is also very successful with Pipelight, but I have to figure how to get personal settings going in it before I would just use that all the time!

So all this has raised a new question to TheeMahn as am very curious! "Does Repomaster rewrite those dependencies from say 1.53 to 1.54???" Next, is there some way to create an alternatives switch for gnutls and openssl??? I mean I would just love to see one of these Ubuntu's with all dependencies satisfied!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Return to Rants and Raves