Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

13.10 Saucy Salamander was scaring me at first!

Love it, hate it drop posts here
Forum rules
Comments or opinions expressed on this forum are those of their respective contributors only. The views expressed on this forum do not necessarily represent the views of Ultimate Edition, its management or employees. Ultimate Edition is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to the forum.

13.10 Saucy Salamander was scaring me at first!

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:50 pm

For those reading this that are building a 13.10 for themselves have just a little small little hassle you may encounter when updating the kernel. Personally, I had to uninstall then re-install and now all is well! Everything else with this build thus far is going quite well! Of course as have said, not doing any experimental parts this time! Got nailed on that one, but luckily only has small drawbacks on current OS!

Remember, lib32z1 lib32ncurses5 lib32bz2-1.0 replaces ia32libs. So just install those and will be set. If you try ia32libs you will get the message of the replacement so figured would give a heads up to builders out there. I know as since 13.10 just got released a few days ago in the mini, there may be some out there doing a build as I am currently doing. Right now as am probably slightly more than half done with this new OS, can say is assembling much smoother this time. To me it appears as if many of the missing pieces are included this time, which has been a drawback since 12.10. So am guessing someone has finally understood those pieces belong in the appropriate place so programs will function and are no longer, leaving them as optional!

I am going to skip KDE since I do not use it that much. I will probably move Xavius system to my laptop and mess with KDE when I feel like it after I install this OS. Of course will probably be a few days as I need to insure all is done and set up as I want it! Is simply amazing the improvements that have been made and is no wonder Linux will now be more of a threat to the ailing Windows OS's! Sorry if you do not appreciate that remark, but there is much evidence to support this statement as I am constantly viewing complaints on current Windows 8.

If you have read my "Shawn Vs Xavius" posts you will notice even a long time user such as Shawn is not having a terrible time with Linux. This means any Windows user can easily make the switch and within a few months be more productive than they currently are! I hardly hear complaints from Shawn as she has been reaping the benefits of Linux! She plays all her games on there and does all the other tasks that need to happen! Wine does a great job of compensating on the games and will have to say, seems Shawn enjoys LXDE desktop about the most! I lost the guess on KDE! I thought Shawn was going to love that desktop and was totally wrong!

Shawn was basically the deciding factor if I was going to put KDE into next OS! Since she can not get used to either, will leave it out and just enjoy the other desktops. Is more than enough! Gnome, LXDE, XFCE and Cinnamon. As have said most times I am on Gnome any way! Sure I visit the other desktops but have to admit, I primarily use Gnome. Actually will be nice as I can then insure I get all the right software instead of worry about fitting it all into one image! Size constraints are a pain! Am hoping that will be the next step with these images as I do not know if anyone ever really loads an OS by disk anymore???? I have not done that for a few years now! Am also going to love this when I get done since will use TheeMahn's ThumbOS to load it onto a flash!

To be honest, I was dreading 13.10 a bit, but after seeing how things are happening, am liking it big time! On 13.04 seems some things I was railroaded into and have found this time is different! Love having the choice! For a bit til is all up and going am on vacation with creating themes. Everyone is probably tired of them anyway so should not matter so much! They can just download all those 2003 type themes, hell they rate better than mine anyway!!! I love this adventure of making OS's!!! Just totally addicted to it! Soon as I get my hands on "Trusty Tahr" in a mini will do the same!!!! Anything else happens that I feel builders should be warned about will post back! Til then, hope all is going well and everyone is doing great here as I always wish the best for everyone here!!!!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Re: 13.10 Saucy Salamander was scaring me at first!

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:31 am

Thanks Xxjoker! Will keep doing themes just a delay until this 13.10 is done. Have a little issue with gtk2.0 on this 13.04 due to some things that went wrong on the build. Am hoping as all seems to be going well with 13.10, should be in better shape. I want to create the best themes I can create, so all has to be working on the money!

Now, as construction goes on as I said am going to list snags and things to watch out for along with some decent things! Hit a snag last night and is due to some repos not having current files. This time the snag came in for KDE. So anyone building has to look out for these 3 files and make sure they are version 3 and not 2 as you will get error messages as I did! These are the files: libkxmlrpcclient4, kde-runtime-data, and plasma-scriptengine-javascript.

Remember it does not matter even if you are installing the entire KDE desktop as I opted against this time, you have to make sure those files are 3rd version and not second or you will have to uninstall those files as I did, to get it all to work right! As I have said, this time I am just opting to use KDE utilities without the desktop as I do not use KDE too much at all so for me is a waste. Can fill that space with programs I will enjoy!

When it comes to one of the programs I enjoy, is called Kazam. Last year I wrote of the benefits of its use. To review quickly, is a one step desktop recorder. You simply choose the output you would like and start it. No two-step in that you first record the desktop then have to convert it! Programs such as RecordMyDesktop do this and it simply takes too long and wastes time that can be spent doing other things! Now, the awesome part of Kazam now it's in Ubuntu Repositories, so no need to add another repo, unless you are using 13.04 or earlier. 13.10 has taken on more software!

Not sure if anyone ever read my review of iriverter, but is also another must have if one has a small mp4 player they want to play videos on that are fully synchronized! Sure you can convert with FF Mutli-Converter, but most likely you will wind up with videos that look like the old Chinese Kung-fu movies in that lips move but no sound comes out or vicaversa! Want it synched use iriverter, I promise you will not be disappointed as have used it quite a bit now and is very simple to use! Now I only made reference to this since once again guess what????? Yes it is consistent the file libswt-cairo-gtk-3-jni does still not get installed when you use command apt-get install iriverter! So remember to get that piece! Am hoping by the end of this year is an included piece as it is imperative as it leaves iriverter non-functional without it!!!!

Well am back to the build(got all my hammers and nails with me!lol!!!)more comes up will let everyone know! Am very grateful to have this space to be able to tell others what to watch out for!!! As have always said "I only wish is to help!" I sincerely mean this and promise to do my best whenever different issues come up, so I can save others time and aggravation! Has been done for me! So I will always in turn give back!!! Will be back with more info as time permits!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:14 pm

Here's a new snag am running into. Now I never saw this before, so figure I will put this down. Have not verified if what I am about to do will fix it, so if someone else has ideas, please feel free to share! First off, I put a basic construct together with a great percentage of the programs I will have. Made the image and first put it in Vbox to test. Keyboard worked but not the mouse! I also did a flash drive and same exact thing occured. Now I have just read that others are having this problem with some wireless mice. Following page describes a cure and have put this in, but have not tested it to see if it works. Use at your own risk, until I can verify it! http://openetworking.blogspot.com/2014/ ... buntu.html

Other than that assembly is going pretty well, have avoided a full install of KDE and opted for more utilities and programs. If the above program is cured by what have done, am hoping within the next few days to have it all loaded up. First have to do all my customizations. God forbid, I load an OS with that attrocious black and white text! Nope, will be loaded with latest favorite "Cyana". As much as I still love "Black_Beauty_III" seems Cyana is beating it! Will have to figure a new name also for this OS as this should be my very best one yet. So far typing "apt-get -f install" and "aptitude -f install" reveal zero errors, so am enjoying this greatly!

Almost forgot to mention another snag. Appears 13.10 just can not run Google Earth! Remember the first post on this I did, showed replacement parts for ia32-libs. Well, trying to install Google Earth just leaves it looking for ia32-libs and refusing to install, so that part sucks! Would think there would be some kind of compensation for this, but I guess Ubuntu just said the hell with it, who needs Google Earth! Of course found a cure but once again not tested same as above. Here's the link: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... st12819438

What am going to say now, hope it does not offend anyone. Seems to me, for the dozen of problems that were around since 12.04 and got cured now, there are new ones to take their place! Am really hoping the list of hassles will go down in time. Not all of us are geniuses and can figure all the workarounds to do. These are things that hurt new developers, when things do not put together so well! So to provide new developers with an easier start would be nice if these older developers would insure their programs compatabilites. It also does turn off new users if they find they can not install a program or do something simple like use their mouse!!!! So I can truly see a big beef here! Not all of us are going to have brand new equipment and am also wondering since I just bought this mouse maybe 6 months ago, how many mice are usb 3.0???? The above article pretty much states Ubuntu felt usb2.0 is not needed for mice anymore?

So, if anyone is reading this can you please tell me if you know of any usb3.0 mice or keyboards???? Otherwise am going to try the above cures and if they work will list them out fully so all can use when deciding to build their 13.10 Ubuntu. Once again want to save time for someone else. Just cause I had to spend all day on this stuff, I am not going to sit here stay silent and let someone else agitate over it!!!! Nope, others do not do this and I will not either. Will always try to help!!!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:01 am

The solution for Google Earth works. Page listed above has complete instructions how do get it working and it has no problem. Solution for mouse does not so is looking like 13.10 is going to be useless to me, cause I need to have a mouse working with it! Unfortunately, so far nothing is working. What happens is cursor will appear on screen only after alt, ctlr and del are depressed for only seconds. This leaves the system not usable! So apparently, so far 13.10 is just not usable for anyone that has a mouse that is not usb3.0! Am going to look for a solution and sure hope if anyone knows a solution, they will be considerate to post it here!!!! I was able to open Google Earth by depressing home key on keyboard, typing it in, pressing enter a couple times and it did come up flawlessly. Of course this method sucks and takes way to long to test software I need to. Without a mouse is garbage! Am starting to agree with Xan as seeing Ubuntu is turning to junk!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Return to Rants and Raves